Netgear r7800 advanced configuration issue

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Frakko
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2022 6:43    Post subject: Netgear r7800 advanced configuration issue Reply with quote
I replaced my Netgear R7000 with a Netgear R7800. I manually copied the configurations on the R7000 to the R7800. At the end of the operations the R7800 does not work. The R7000 is configured with VLans on each port and on 2 Wifi (net isolation). I got to try on another R7000 and another R7800, manually copying or uploading via backup (to the respective routers) the configurations but the results are the same. Indeed in the second R7800, with the advanced configuration, the router does not take the WAN IP (the LED remains off), in the first one it goes haywire and I am assigned an ip of the type 192.168.1.1 and even in this case it does not navigate despite being on the active WAN light. I think there is some problem in the firmware of the R7800 that needs to be corrected. Thank you. P.S. I notice that the performance of the R7800 is below expectations, probably due to the complex configuration adopted ( Question ).
Sponsor
egc
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2022 7:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
You can not upload configurations to another build let alone to another router!

VLAN's are different, if you come from an older Broadcom router you did vlans with nvram parameters, newer build already use swconfig as is the R7800.

But even if you come from an swconfig VLAN of the R7000 you can not use that one-on-one as the port layout is different, for one the R7800 is a two-armed router which has two physical CPU ports.

Forum Guide Lines (important read):https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=324087
Alozaros
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2022 7:39    Post subject: Reply with quote
Although both units are Netgear...they are totally different Broadcom(R7000) VS Atheros(R7800)!!

Bad idea to believe the back file up will work...very bad idea to load file settings to any unit that is not the same...

Bad idea to believe the unit settings are the same...as those have different Radios and different Switch...
so, Radio and Vlan settings will be different...

Good option is that on Broadcom R7000 setting VLan's via GUI its working out of the box..where on R7800 i always use start up commands..

here is the main R7800 vlan thread i used to set up my vlans
https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=1119771 on my R7800 the idea is the same like on R7000 just switch layout is different on R7800...(on the recent builds both units use swconfig command)...

TP-Link WR1043NDv2 -Gargoyle OS 1.15.x AP,DNS,QoS,Quotas
Qualcomm-Atheros
Netgear XR500 --DD-WRT 55460 Gateway/DoH,Forced DNS,AP Isolation,4VLAN,Ad-Block,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R7800 --DD-WRT 55460 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,Forced DNS,AP&Net Isolation,x3VLAN,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R9000 --DD-WRT 55363 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,AP Isolation,Firewall,Forced DNS,x2VLAN,Vanilla
Broadcom
Netgear R7000 --DD-WRT 55460 Gateway/SmartDNS/DoH,AD-Block,Firewall,Forced DNS,x3VLAN,VPN
NOT USING 5Ghz ANYWHERE
------------------------------------------------------
Stubby DNS over TLS I DNSCrypt v2 by mac913
Frakko
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2022 9:44    Post subject: Reply with quote
Look, I haven't uploaded any files. I manually loaded the settings. I'm afraid you have made a mess. However the settings on the GUI are not identical for the two routers? What should change between one and the other that needs to be changed Question
I have difficulty modifying all these parameters via the command line.
Thank you.
egc
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2022 9:49    Post subject: Reply with quote
You should not use the command line (other than for swconfig), you should use the GUI to setup, unless you know exactly what you are doing.

My advice reset the R7800 and start over, just use the GUI to setup.
Of course screenshots from the R7000 can be helpful to mimick the settings Smile

Most settings are the same but wireless is different and of course VLAN's are different due to the other port layout.
There is a sticky in this forum for wireless settings FWIW

Forum Guide Lines (important read):https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=324087

Last edited by egc on Thu Jul 14, 2022 11:03; edited 2 times in total
Alozaros
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2022 10:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
well..as i said both units have different Radio's and different switches..as well port layout..not to mention different CPU and other different bit's and pieces...

for setting up VLANs on R7800 use the link i posted above..to the main vlan R7800 tread..

if you copy the start up vlan commands from R7000 to R7800 it wont work, as i mentioned the switch/ports differences exist...

to set up Atheros radios...https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=324014

just for reference Broadcom R7000 wi fi settings
https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=327595

as egc mentioned from above reset and start from a scratch...

to notice...i didn't made a mess at all...more often is messy data or missing presentation from the OP, while describing the situation...in details...so, i have to apologize if i cause any misunderstanding... Cool Cool Embarassed

Qualcomm-Atheros
Netgear XR500 --DD-WRT 55460 Gateway/DoH,Forced DNS,AP Isolation,4VLAN,Ad-Block,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R7800 --DD-WRT 55460 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,Forced DNS,AP&Net Isolation,x3VLAN,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R9000 --DD-WRT 55363 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,AP Isolation,Firewall,Forced DNS,x2VLAN,Vanilla
Broadcom
Netgear R7000 --DD-WRT 55460 Gateway/SmartDNS/DoH,AD-Block,Firewall,Forced DNS,x3VLAN,VPN
NOT USING 5Ghz ANYWHERE
Frakko
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2022 6:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
egc wrote:
You should not use the command line (other than for swconfig), you should use the GUI to setup, unless you know exactly what you are doing.

Of course screenshots from the R7000 can be helpful to mimick the settings Smile

Most settings are the same but wireless is different and of course VLAN's are different due to the other port layout.

In fact I did so but the result is always the same: it freezes or the IP resets to 192.168.1.1 or does not work. In my opinion, using the graphical interface there are bugs. I wanted to report it but I don't remember the username of my account svn.ddwrt.com so I can't recover the password.
blkt
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2022 6:20    Post subject: Reply with quote
If unable to communicate all steps needed to reproduce the problem(s) there is no need to open a ticket.

Otherwise, plenty of other users with these model routers no issues navigating WebUI or a configuration.

I think you are much better to describe the situation here before automatically assuming firmware bugs.
Alozaros
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2022 6:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
define freezes...when how what you do to make it frozen...
What browser do you use, any extensions, witch DDWRT theme (use non chrome based browsers, clear browser cache)...
I use pale-moon...and reset/erase browser cache, history + cookies every time, as well do not use any browser extensions..those can make your GUI to freeze too..
In fact i don't have any troubles with my R7000 or R7800 GUI..
but...when you dial settings...you click only save, as if you click apply, it will apply those settings witch means, router will restart its vital services in order to rebuild those according to the new settings...and yes then GUI freezes for a time period...
You definitely do something in a wrong way, and you yield errors..

When i do my settings, i go form page to page, enter my settings and when i finish with those, i click save, than move to another page and click save when finish there too..and so on, until i get to administration commands, where i click apply before i enter anything in commands firewall or save start up section, as when you enter any data there and click save firewall or save start up script, router will reboot its services and rebuild those according to the new settings, so it will freeze for a while...
This is normal router operation...its not a freeze and do not have to be reported in SVN TRACK...you have to report here in the forum...only...svn is for bugs that you can prove those exist and show a concept and provide full details, so the developers will be able to recreate the bug...in your case there is no bug, but its an inappropriate operation from your side...either you are not patient or use bad browser or you add settings in a wrong way...

Im confidently sure that if you do what it is advised you will solve your issues Cool Cool so far R7800 and R7000 are rock solid.. Cool

Qualcomm-Atheros
Broadcom
NOT USING 5Ghz ANYWHERE
Frakko
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2022 14:22    Post subject: Reply with quote
> define freezes...when how what you do to make it frozen...

Router do not navigate on internet or do not connect to the dd-wrt setting.

> What browser do you use, any extensions, witch DDWRT theme (use non chrome based browsers, clear browser cache)...

Firefox without extensions.

> but...when you dial settings...you click only save, as if you click apply, it will apply those settings witch means, router will restart its vital services in order to rebuild those according to the new settings...and yes then GUI freezes for a time period...

Yes I do. The problem is after the transition period of applying settings. Crashes do not navigate or cannot reach the menu or both. In addition, the Wan LED turns off.

> You definitely do something in a wrong way, and you yield errors..

I do not believe.

> R7800 and R7000 are rock solid..

On the 7000 I agree on the 7800 I'm not 100% sure. Or both 7800s have hw problems but that would be really an extreme case.
Frakko
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2022 14:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
Now "Switch config" has disappeared from the menu (this is the second time this has happened to me).
egc
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2022 14:32    Post subject: Reply with quote
Look at the build threads, the R7800/XR500 is very much used without a problem.

I administer 3 also without problems.

Of course that does not rule out bugs but you really have to substantiate your claims as we can not reproduce your problems

ho1Aetoo
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2022 14:34    Post subject: Reply with quote
Frakko wrote:
Now "Switch config" has disappeared from the menu (this is the second time this has happened to me).

Yes something completely new.
Happens by chance whenever you perform a factory reset.

Simply restart the router again.
If not .... the problem fixes itself with the next firmware update.
dale_gribble39
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2022 16:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
Alozaros wrote:
-snip-
Good option is that on Broadcom R7000 setting VLan's via GUI its working out of the box..where on R7800 i always use start up commands..

here is the main R7800 vlan thread i used to set up my vlans
https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=1119771 on my R7800 the idea is the same like on R7000 just switch layout is different on R7800...(on the recent builds both units use swconfig command)...

Alozaros wrote:
-snip-
for setting up VLANs on R7800 use the link i posted above..to the main vlan R7800 tread..

if you copy the start up vlan commands from R7000 to R7800 it wont work, as i mentioned the switch/ports differences exist...
-snip-

Frakko wrote:
egc wrote:

In fact I did so but the result is always the same: it freezes or the IP resets to 192.168.1.1 or does not work. In my opinion, using the graphical interface there are bugs. I wanted to report it but I don't remember the username of my account svn.ddwrt.com so I can't recover the password.

I think I see the "bug". To reinforce what's been said three times already:

You don't use the switch config tab to configure the switch on any other platform than Broadcom.
This has been true for quite some time. "OH, but I thought..." wrong.

R7800 and VLANS
PPPoE VLan ID Tagging on WAN (using EA8500)

In my experience, there aren't any issues with the webUI if you use "save" (or even "apply", if you are patient enough) - as
long as you aren't making configuration errors. I think there is just a lack of understanding platform-specific nuances here.

And miles to go before I sleep." - Robert Frost

"I am one of the noticeable ones - notice me" - Dale Frances McKenzie Bozzio

<fact>code knows no gender</fact>

This is me, knowing I've ruffled your feathers, and not giving a ****
Some people are still hard-headed.

--------------------------------------
Mac Pro (Mid 2012) - Two 2.4GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon E5645 processors 64GB 1333MHz DDR3 ECC SDRAM OpenSUSE Leap 15.5
Frakko
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2022 3:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
ho1Aetoo wrote:
Frakko wrote:

Yes something completely new.
Happens by chance whenever you perform a factory reset.

Simply restart the router again.
If not .... the problem fixes itself with the next firmware update.

I restarted several timesbut remains without "Swhicth Config", evidently the fw of the R7800 is not so a rock. Wink At the next firmware I do some more tests but I'm afraid there is something to review inside it. Wink
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 3
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: