Periodic panic(?) loss of all network r49467 / r49392 R7000P

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
ukwomble
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2022 19:41    Post subject: Reply with quote
Stability still seems good. No unexpected restarts since reset/reconfig.

5G wifi seems fine now stability wise as well. I changed 5g mode to AC+N, set preamble=auto (from long), and enabled "implicit+explicit beamforming". Those appeared to improve stability of connectivity, but data rate only improved to 70-80Mb.

I changed a couple more things last night which have brought 5g wifi back up to ISP line rate (200Mb). I changed the channel from auto to selected (based on site survey), and enabled "multi-user beamforming". Later I'll revert each of those to see what actually improved the throughput.
Sponsor
the-joker
DD-WRT Developer/Maintainer

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2022 20:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
ukwomble wrote:
the-joker wrote:
All screenshots provided show auto channel selected this is not ideal

Generally accepted and widely working known settings which are optimized are shown here https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=327595

I would have a go at changing them accordingly.

When I applied those I lost ability to connect to wifi from a bunch of devices, including iphone and recent surface book laptop...

This is due perhaps that your clients dont specifically support those optimized settings.
This doesn't mean with further tweaking to those settings your clients wont be happier.

And BTW those optimized settings are generalized, same as with basic settings, neither can guarantee optimal results in all scenarios. And such as been witness as per your last post and your tweaks.

SO Im glad you managed to achieve some measure of success.

DD-WRT Inspired themes for the SVN Trac & FTP site
Join in for a chat @ #style_it_themes_public:matrix.org or #style_it_themes:discord

DD-WRT UI Themes Bug Reporting and Discussion thread

Router: ANus RT-AC68U E1 (recognized as C1)
ukwomble
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2022 20:25    Post subject: Reply with quote
the-joker wrote:

And BTW those optimized settings are generalized, same as with basic settings, neither can guarantee optimal results in all scenarios. And such as been witness as per your last post and your tweaks.

Optimized settings that don't work at all with iphones or mainstream new laptops don't seem terribly useful as general recommendations though.
the-joker
DD-WRT Developer/Maintainer

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2022 9:13    Post subject: Reply with quote
You need to know what these clients support and how they are configured especially laptops wise. I dont think some comments are well informed enough about such generalized documentation, No one is taking in consideration the nature of different clients and what they support, routers the 1001 models and chipsets, topologies and operating environments.

I have several laptops and Android clients, I use the optimized settings exactly, everything works never been an issue (because I did my homework on my clients), my Android clients radios are all Atheros based, My laptops are Intel various chipsets. iPhones are generally sporting older radio chipsets, I dont even know or care what radio chipsets they use or what Apple decided to have them support.

The point is that the optimized settings are a guide for better defaults; its up to each user to know get informed about their equipment both clients and router side, the information is out there and freely available.

The guide is there to optimize; e.g better ACK timing, not using auto channels (this is important and you need to know which channels are best for your environment using a wifi analyzer), choosing the correct Radio modes (wifi bands a, ac, n g, b whatever) that the clients support, which channel width to use (so you have to know which your clients support) and unless you tell us what the clients chipsets are for the radios and their settings, we can only point you towards a general direction. The key word in all instances is general.

It is also not practical to document specific settings per client and router devices, which is the ideal situation, we are all volunteers here, not everyone has time to invest on such an mammoth endeavor right? What "our" personal feeling are about guides like this, are irrelevant unless we do better other than making loud noises about it.

You say the "implicit+explicit beamforming" helped (this is part of the optimized settings), but your clients must support it and you have to know what that does (which is to send the signal towards the clients instead of everywhere. so clients tell the router where they are and router sends the signal towards them this is an oversimplification)

You also have the built in router help pages that explain what these settings all do, I suggest you read them.

There is no such thing as one shoe fits all, each Cinderella has their own show size.

DD-WRT Inspired themes for the SVN Trac & FTP site
Join in for a chat @ #style_it_themes_public:matrix.org or #style_it_themes:discord

DD-WRT UI Themes Bug Reporting and Discussion thread

Router: ANus RT-AC68U E1 (recognized as C1)
JeffreyFleming
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2022 11:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
the-joker wrote:
Downgrading wont help especially 5Ghz radio side.

That screenshot wont help, we need your wifi setup screenshots, and not necessarily the security in use, its the rest that matters.

You have optimized settings here https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=327595 and it shows the screenshots we are looking after.

I am so glad I found your post where I found those links and they are very helpful for me. If anyone over here is writing an essay assignment on how vaping effects our health then you can go to this link where you will find essay samples and you can read them for free. You will also find a lot of other topics too.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 Display posts from previous:    Page 3 of 3
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: