[SOLVED] TL-842ND v2 UI connecton lost fw r49467

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Alexis_HW
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2022 11:16    Post subject: [SOLVED] TL-842ND v2 UI connecton lost fw r49467 Reply with quote
Hi everyone!

Searching for an urgent advice from you.
TL-WR842N/ND v2
I installed the latest firmware from https://ftp.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/downloads/betas/2022/07-09-2022-r49467/tplink_tl-wr842ndv2/factory-to-ddwrt.bin

Web UI comes up, but if you log into it, then it disconnects after 30 seconds and is no longer available (connection reset in browsers), while the router continues to ping, and the network activity lights blink.

If you reset 30/30/30, then on the first UI screen, where it suggests to set a login and password, it can be available as much as you like, but it's worth logging in - and after 30 seconds the web is not available again.

Please advise the latest stable version for this device and the right steps to upload it (definitely not form UI).
When UI falls down telnet is also down as I found.
Sponsor
the-joker
DD-WRT Developer/Maintainer

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2022 12:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
Welcome to forums.

Is this down permanently or does it come back up at all shortly after?

Also is the router pingable, ping 192.168.1.1 after disconnects.

DD-WRT Inspired themes for the SVN Trac & FTP site
Join in for a chat @ #style_it_themes_public:matrix.org or #style_it_themes:discord

DD-WRT UI Themes Bug Reporting and Discussion thread

Router: ANus RT-AC68U E1 (recognized as C1)
ho1Aetoo
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2022 12:39    Post subject: Reply with quote
If telnet and the WebIF are no longer accessible, this sounds like a security measure.
If the password is entered incorrectly several times then the IP address is blocked for several minutes.

This can also be related to the fact that you are using disallowed characters in the password field.
Alexis_HW
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2022 12:44    Post subject: Reply with quote
the-joker wrote:
Welcome to forums.

Is this down permanently or does it come back up at all shortly after?

Also is the router pingable, ping 192.168.1.1 after disconnects.

The web UI never comes up until I do the power cycle (off/on). All that times router stays pingable but I can't telnet into it also until the next power cycle.

So seems the only option is power it on and don't enter UI, just telnet into it then is stays available.
Alexis_HW
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2022 12:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
ho1Aetoo wrote:
If telnet and the WebIF are no longer accessible, this sounds like a security measure.
If the password is entered incorrectly several times then the IP address is blocked for several minutes.

This can also be related to the fact that you are using disallowed characters in the password field.

The behavior is a bit strange. Once I power it on it doesn't ask me for the password I've set during first login - it just let's me in. But if I start browsing tabs eg Status page - it drops the connection. It also drops if I try to apply any setting (/apply.cgi page drops the connection)
ho1Aetoo
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2022 12:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
But it will ask for the password if you open other tabs than Info.htm.

This will be related to your browser.
There will surely be a password stored in the password manager.

Open the WebIF in ikognito mode (192.168.1.1).
Alexis_HW
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2022 14:00    Post subject: Reply with quote
ho1Aetoo wrote:
But it will ask for the password if you open other tabs than Info.htm.

This will be related to your browser.
There will surely be a password stored in the password manager.

Open the WebIF in ikognito mode (192.168.1.1).

You were right! It was Chrome issue and even incognito didn't help.
Switching to Safari fixed the issue. Kudos!

My next question would be - is it good to stay on the latest version with this old hw? Different sources say opposite - FAQ says to install the latest while forum page for old hardware support advises to use quite old versions, even older that in the router database.

My target is to use Wireguard client here and versions under build 47285 do not support it AFAIK

So should I downgrade and if so can I do it from UI just uploading -webflash older version?
the-joker
DD-WRT Developer/Maintainer

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2022 19:56    Post subject: Reply with quote
Use latest builds always, especially when reporting bugs we need a starting point where things broke and things worked in relative terms.

Forget what wiki and router databases say, these are rarely maintained so it up to users to tell the community of volunteers what works and what doesn't.

It makes sense, if your password manager was entering wrong credentials, or whatever it was, DD-WRT will block you 5 minutes per wrong login attempt.

You wont find the latest open vpn/wireguard patches in old wiki/router database build recommendations.

Glad its solved, marking as such, take care now Wink

DD-WRT Inspired themes for the SVN Trac & FTP site
Join in for a chat @ #style_it_themes_public:matrix.org or #style_it_themes:discord

DD-WRT UI Themes Bug Reporting and Discussion thread

Router: ANus RT-AC68U E1 (recognized as C1)
Alexis_HW
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2022 20:08    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks a lot both of you for your prompt support.

One more question - using the latest build I don't see a Wireguard type in the drop-down in Tunnels.
It shows only RFC and Mikrotik option. Importing custom Wireguard connection file doesn't help either - nothing imported.
Any ideas why?
blkt
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2022 0:20    Post subject: Reply with quote
8MB flash says all, no space available for WireGuard. https://wikidevi.wi-cat.ru/TP-LINK_TL-WR842ND_v2.x
If WireGuard included, Atheros AR9341 MIPS 74K @ 535 MHz would perform very poorly so bad experience.

Reset V2 model 8 seconds (not 30-30-30). https://static.tp-link.com/res/down/doc/TL-WR842ND_V2_UG.pdf

Recommended: R7800 (XR450/XR500), R7500v2, EA8500 (serial flash), R9000 (R8900/XR700), x86 (J4125).
Alexis_HW
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2022 7:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
All clear. You can close the thread.
Thanks guys, great day to all!
egc
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2022 7:44    Post subject: Reply with quote
To add there are routers with 8 MB flash which do have WireGuard (My E2000 is one of them) the only real limitation is the kernel the router has to use at least Kernel 3.10

But at this moment the routers flash is filled to the brim so the only option is to remove some other stuff and that is not something which is often done

If your router has Kernel 3.10 or higher are yo sure that WireGuard is not present?

Clear browser cache to be sure you are not looking at an old page!

Forum Guide Lines (important read):https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=324087
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2022 11:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
Keep in mind, WireGuard is not located on the Services -> VPN tab, it is located on the Setup -> Tunnels tab. After you "add tunnel", you can choose from there. I don't recall if it's on 4MB devices, I haven't checked my 941Nv3 in a hot minute. But it is on my 1043NDv2.
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
Alexis_HW
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2022 16:12    Post subject: Reply with quote
Quote:
If your router has Kernel 3.10 or higher are yo sure that WireGuard is not present?

Well I installed the latest available build, so I believe it should be on the newest kernel though I can check later. I checked the absence as below

Quote:

Keep in mind, WireGuard is not located on the Services -> VPN tab, it is located on the Setup -> Tunnels tab. After you "add tunnel", you can choose from there.

This is exactly where I check. There is no Wireguard option in the drop-down
dale_gribble39
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2022 16:39    Post subject: Reply with quote
Well, it is definitely not a hardware or flash space thing since the TL-WR1043NDv1 has WireGuard. Probably a platform config that was overlooked or kernel version at play? I would definitely check kernel version. I don't see any reason for it not to have it outside of an older kernel being used.

TL-WR842NDv2
CPU1: Atheros AR9341@535 MHz
FLA1: 8 MB
RAM1: 32 MB

TL-WR1043NDv1
CPU1: Atheros AR9132@400 MHz
FLA1: 8 MB
RAM1: 32 MB

And miles to go before I sleep." - Robert Frost

"I am one of the noticeable ones - notice me" - Dale Frances McKenzie Bozzio

<fact>code knows no gender</fact>

This is me, knowing I've ruffled your feathers, and not giving a ****
Some people are still hard-headed.

--------------------------------------
Mac Pro (Mid 2012) - Two 2.4GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon E5645 processors 64GB 1333MHz DDR3 ECC SDRAM OpenSUSE Leap 15.5
Goto page 1, 2  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: