R7000 - Odd issues with recent firmware flashes

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page 1, 2  Next
shipracer
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2022 22:04    Post subject: R7000 - Odd issues with recent firmware flashes Reply with quote
Hey Guys, long time r7000 dd-wrt user (has to be over 3 years).

I just use the R7000 as an AP (no DHCP etc..) I have a little protectli pfsense firewall box in front of it.

I randomly last week flashed a new firmware and have been having odd wireless only connectivity issues. I tried another newer version and the issue still existed. I flashed back to a 2021 version that I was on and the issue is gone.

Issue: I seem to lose connectivity randomly to everywhere on wifi only (hardwire has no issues going through the R7000), sometimes its to the r7000 LAN IP, internet, etc..

It eventually comes back within a minute.

I have non-stop pings going to my modem/firewall/r7000/1.1.1.1 to see it happening.

Problem started from these downloads for me (thought maybe the issue existed further back).
https://download1.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/downloads/betas/2022/06-26-2022-r49361/
https://download1.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/downloads/betas/2022/07-04-2022-r49418/

I restored back to Firmware: DD-WRT v3.0-r47282 std (08/30/21) and have no issue at all.
Sponsor
Duxa
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 3:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
is the router rebooting? check uptime.
shipracer
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 4:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
Its not, uptime was good, plus i have hard wired devices going through the r7000 and they have zero issues during the same time.

Its only wifi. Was just curious if anyone else was seeing anything funky like that.
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 4:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
Show us your wifi settings on your router, please. Or put them in text, whichever you wish to do.
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
shipracer
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 4:44    Post subject: Reply with quote
5G settings screenshot

Last edited by shipracer on Thu Jul 07, 2022 20:13; edited 1 time in total
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 5:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
Not going to point you to the current version of one due to bad edits, but you should read these and make adjustments accordingly:

Basic Wireless Settings Wiki

Advanced Wireless Settings Wiki

DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
the-joker
DD-WRT Developer/Maintainer

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 9:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
Not to mention the screenshot above indicates a fairly outdated DD-WRT version.

http://ftp.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/downloads/betas/2022/07-04-2022-r49418/

And following upgrade do a nvram reset and reconfigure from scratch with the best wifi setting in mind. Auto channel is not really good enough for starters.

DD-WRT Inspired themes for the SVN Trac & FTP site
Join in for a chat @ #style_it_themes_public:matrix.org or #style_it_themes:discord

DD-WRT UI Themes Bug Reporting and Discussion thread

Router: ANus RT-AC68U E1 (recognized as C1)
naruto_uzumaki
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 9:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
I’m also having the exact same issues with my ac88u & ac68u since 29/6/22 build.

Both routers have wifi settings based on the wiki settings but can’t establish stable wifi past 26/06/22 firmware. Wired connections are fine.

Will attach the logs after work.
the-joker

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 10:56    Post subject: Reply with quote
@naruto_uzumaki

I have a RT-AC68U and can assure that both wifi radios work with respect to stable connection from any wireless clients, in addition, my setup includes a 2.4 Ghz and 5 Ghz unbridged VAP (net/ap isolated and with masquerade enabled so they get WAN access, these VAPs are on separate subnets, equally stable.

I have the settings detailed on https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=327595

IDk what wiki wifi settings these are @naruto_uzumaki mentions, I wouldn't follow any wiki entries for these that is guaranteed to be outdated info.

Also besides logs we needs wifi setup screenshots. Without these screenshots we cant know what settings are less than ideal. We also dont know what is meant by latest firwmare, The latest is always changing, for instance 07-04-2022-r49418 is the actual latest at time of writing, a few days later thats no longer the latest.

Join in for a chat @ #style_it_themes_public:matrix.org or #style_it_themes:discord

naruto_uzumaki
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 11:28    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks @the-joker.

I have been using the wireless settings (basic / advanced) from https://forum.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Tutorials for years.

These settings have been working well until firmware v3.0-r49361 std (06/26/22). Unfortunately I am unable to go beyond this firmware as my wi-fi becomes extremely unstable. I am not using any experimental driver.

Below is the current config for my main ac-88u. My ac-68u is configured as an AP.

Screenshot 2022-07-07 at 21-25-57 AC88U (build 49361) - Wireless Security.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  235.76 KB
 Viewed:  2592 Time(s)

Screenshot 2022-07-07 at 21-25-57 AC88U (build 49361) - Wireless Security.png

Screenshot 2022-07-07 at 21-11-39 AC88U (build 49361) - Wireless.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  540.15 KB
 Viewed:  2591 Time(s)

Screenshot 2022-07-07 at 21-11-39 AC88U (build 49361) - Wireless.png

the-joker

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 12:39    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yes, the wiki... You have mostly settings there that are not for broadcom or even exist there. those settings are not optimized anyway.

I can see already you have some that are not really ideal, if you confer with this page you will find those settings work much better generally, they are optimized and is what I use verbatim.

Your ACK timing should be around 1350 just to point one out that already off beat and you have several others that are not quite optimal.

Would be nice to see your advanced settings setup as is now, I bet that is also less than ideal but you can compare in the link I provided and setup accordingly.

Im not sure whats up, asided from you using WPA2-EAP there is no difference in my security settings I use WPA2-PSK with CCMP-128 AES, very stable.

Now... It could be that you have been upgrading without resetting to factory default and some nvram variables are likely stale, I would definitely recommend a minimum yearly reset followed by manual reconfiguration, it does shake most gremlins loose.

I am running already dev builds newer than current public and my RT-AC68U while has some odd reaction sometimes since I actually test beyond my normal setup and find bugs most miss, my wifi is quite stable under normal circumstances (when Im not bug hunting), so there is no reason why yours should behave otherwise assuming same optimized wifi settings.

You can easily backup your nvram to human readable format for reference only nvram show > /tmp/somebackup-id.txt and then grab that file to desktop via scp or some other method.

shipracer
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 16:40    Post subject: Reply with quote
Those links talk about every option in detail, am I supposed to change everything?

Things work just fine with the older builds, are the newer builds trying to take advantage of things that need other then default settings? If so why not just make those the default settings for that build? Or is that done?

If I flashed but also reset would I get newer better defaults?

I will need some more time to read/digest the links provided and other replies. Thanks for all the replies/help here.
the-joker

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 18:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
If you reset now you would get same defaults.

The idea behind defaults is that it works out of the box for most situations generally speaking, but its not optimized for modern different circumstances and it can never be optimized defaults as that is specific to each unique setup both router and client side everyone has different setups and clients that dont ever -- both defaults or optimized support everything router sets (yea its not a simple open and shut door).

This link https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=327595 and such settings are optimized but may may need further tweaking for your current topology, we just dont know anyway, all we know is that basic settings are not ideal this day and age.

They work for most modern router/clients scenarios, some of those changed defaults are better, but defaults must always be conservative even if they aren't optimal.

shipracer
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2022 17:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
Kinda makes sense, but if the default settings work fine on older builds but not correctly on newer builds (for a specific model of a build) shouldn't those defaults or something point people to change things so they will at least work properly?

I dunno seems off.

I switched all my wifi settings to your posts screenshots. Im still on the old/working 2021 build (though seeing the other post above i might be able to move to a june build and still be okay). It seemed fine for the day.

This morning I came in any my local WIFI icmp pings were at 20ms to the gateway vs 3ms~ normally.. all pings had 10-15ms latency added to them (1.1.1.1 etc..).

I disconnected wifi and reconnected on the laptop and the pings returned to normal.

I dont have or need any fancy topology or use case, I just need a wireless AP for a small condo.

Also thanks for your time and replies, its appreciated. I'm learning.
egc
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2022 17:15    Post subject: Reply with quote
Quote:
I dont have or need any fancy topology or use case, I just need a wireless AP for a small condo.

Well the WPA2-EAP is rather unusual for such a setup Smile

Forum Guide Lines (important read):https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=324087
Goto page 1, 2  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: