2 VAPs on the same radio

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
buliwyf
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2022 13:59    Post subject: 2 VAPs on the same radio Reply with quote
I am trying to enable 2 VAP guest networks on the same radio. I am able to see the first VAP broadcasting, but not the 2nd one.

Router Model: Netgear R8000
Firmware: v3.0-r49197 std (06/14/22)

I have created 2 VAPs wl0.1 and wl0.2. The setup for both VAPs is very similar.

I can only see "ddwrt_vap1" (wl0.1) broadcasting though. The other one "ddwrt_vap2" doesn't seem to even broadcast, no matter how I change the settings.

Is there a limit on how many VAPs one radio can support?

wl0.jpg
 Description:
Main Wireless Interface
 Filesize:  69.82 KB
 Viewed:  1466 Time(s)

wl0.jpg

wl0 VAPs.jpg
 Description:
2 VAPs created. Only one is broadcasting
 Filesize:  78.46 KB
 Viewed:  1465 Time(s)

wl0 VAPs.jpg

Bridges.jpg
 Description:
Created separate bridges for each VAP
 Filesize:  12.4 KB
 Viewed:  1467 Time(s)

Bridges.jpg

Sponsor
egc
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2022 14:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
There is a maximum and it is 4 (it depends on router model/chipset)

First your settings are not optimal, use AC/N and never use autochannel just pick a channel ther is a sticky in this forum for the best wireless settings

I think the R8000 is one of the routers with DHD bus, there has been some work done recently on that so it might help to upgrade to the latest build 49418, reset to defaults and rebuild from scratch.

But it is quite possible that the DHD bus is restricting the use of VAP's

Attached how I setup VAP's, for regular Broadcom Arm (the non DHD) it is no problem to have more than one VAP

As always after setting up reboot Smile

Edit: it is strange that the VAP's have the same MAC address that should not be the case.

Edit2: sorry bad monitor, 68 and 6B are not the same Sad

DDWRT Virtual Access Point Public.doc
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  DDWRT Virtual Access Point Public.doc
 Filesize:  503 KB
 Downloaded:  69 Time(s)

Forum Guide Lines (important read):https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=324087
the-joker
DD-WRT Developer/Maintainer

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2022 15:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
The dhd drivers updates were for the 5Ghz radio to fix some inability to create a VAP on the R7000P, this was due to the 2.4Ghz radio driver assigning wl0 and dhd also assigned wl0 to the 5Ghz radio so weirdness ensued.

There were indeed many other mixed fixes, so it is always worth upgrading after these fixes.

egc is correct and to reinforce his statements, the best settings are documented here and never choose auto as a channel.

To pick the right channel however, its best to analyze the current channels in use in order to pick the best suited see https://vremsoftwaredevelopment.github.io/WiFiAnalyzer/

On a sideways note, my router RT-AC68U supports up to 16 VAPS, I've not tried setting up more than one per radio. I think it says it on the page how many are supported, i didnt see it on your screenshot, it does on mine see attachment. (I think its quite useful to say it)

Apologies for jumping in Wink

Capture.PNG
 Description:
 Filesize:  38.98 KB
 Viewed:  1426 Time(s)

Capture.PNG

DD-WRT Inspired themes for the SVN Trac & FTP site
Join in for a chat @ #style_it_themes_public:matrix.org or #style_it_themes:discord

DD-WRT UI Themes Bug Reporting and Discussion thread

Router: ANus RT-AC68U E1 (recognized as C1)
buliwyf
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2022 15:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thank you both.

I am not able to update to 49418 just yet - I will in a few hours and come back

Meanwhile, I did change the settings as per the Sticky (which I was going to do, once I got the VAPs working)

@egc
Quote:
First your settings are not optimal, use AC/N and never use autochannel just pick a channel ther is a sticky in this forum for the best wireless settings

I don't have any channels listed other than Auto Sad (See screenshot)
Maybe that's another red flag

@the-joker
Quote:
On a sideways note, my router RT-AC68U supports up to 16 VAPS, I've not tried setting up more than one per radio. I think it says it on the page how many are supported, i didnt see it on your screenshot, it does on mine see attachment. (I think its quite useful to say it)

My screenshot shows Max Vaps(4). I don't have any other VAPs other than the 2 that I was trying to create

wl0 -1.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  65.85 KB
 Viewed:  1409 Time(s)

wl0 -1.jpg

egc
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2022 15:50    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hmm that does not seem OK indeed.

You might toggle the settings e.g. set 20 Mhz, Save and the Apply toggle upper/lower, that sometimes helps.

But the newer firmware should have more channels available on 5 GHz so maybe upgrade and after that reset is certainly an option

Forum Guide Lines (important read):https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=324087
the-joker
DD-WRT Developer/Maintainer

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2022 15:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
The channel choices will become available after you select the ACN and click save (not Apply)

But wait until after the upgrade. And when you're done , dont use DD-WRT as your SSID, anything that is not identifiable to you or the router or what you're running is better.

SSID doesn't matter but identifiable information is best left out, some ppl know that some things have specific flaws and may try exploit specifics. Misdirection is always nice.

DD-WRT Inspired themes for the SVN Trac & FTP site
Join in for a chat @ #style_it_themes_public:matrix.org or #style_it_themes:discord

DD-WRT UI Themes Bug Reporting and Discussion thread

Router: ANus RT-AC68U E1 (recognized as C1)

Last edited by the-joker on Tue Jul 05, 2022 16:03; edited 1 time in total
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2022 15:56    Post subject: Reply with quote
Select channel width, save.
Select valid extension channel, save.
The valid list of channels should appear.

This may be tied to the dhd driver issue that affected the R7000P, so upgrading first may be necessary, as @egc stated. Luckily, this is not like the RT-AC87U with the Quantenna hardware involved.

DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: