5ghz backhaul, 2.4ghz clients w/VPN

AKSurfin
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2022 17:44    Post subject: 5ghz backhaul, 2.4ghz clients w/VPN Reply with quote
Netgear R7450 w/DD-WRT r49326
I have setup Open VPN with the router being the client connecting to a server at my home.

I would like to set it up in a remote area where it would have to connect to the wireless from my ISPs modem for WAN over 5ghz band and use the 2.4ghz band to connect to 2 clients. Data coming in from clients (2 security cameras) on 2.4 band would enter the tunnel before going out on the 5ghz band.

I can't use WDS on the 5ghz band due to the base being my ISPs modem that I only have the ability to change basic wifi settings on. Can I setup the 2 bands to have different roles on a single router (ie. 5ghz radio as a client and 2.4ghz radio as an AP)? Would I be able to get 20 Mbps through it?

How would I setup the routing for the VPN to use the 5ghz radio as the WAN?
Sponsor
eibgrad
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2022 17:51    Post subject: Reply with quote
Pretty simple. You configure the 5GHz radio wireless mode as Client. This will virtualize the WAN over that radio, and free up the WAN port for reassignment to the LAN. The 2.4GHz radio remains part of the default IP network (br0).

If you configure your OpenVPN server to route all traffic from its OpenVPN clients to the server (under Advanced options, see Push Client route, then select Default), that will ensure they're routed over the VPN. Or if you have other devices you prefer NOT be routed, use the PBR option to be selective.

ddwrt-ovpn-split-basic.sh (UPDATED!) * ddwrt-ovpn-split-advanced.sh (UPDATED!) * ddwrt-ovpn-client-killswitch.sh * ddwrt-ovpn-client-watchdog.sh * ddwrt-ovpn-remote-access.sh * ddwrt-ovpn-client-backup.sh * ddwrt-mount-usb-drives.sh * ddwrt-blacklist-domains.sh * ddwrt-wol-port-forward.sh * ddwrt-dns-monitor.sh (NEW!)
AKSurfin
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2022 18:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thank you! I'll give it a try today.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Advanced Networking All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: