Bootloader needed, again (buffalo wzr-1750dhp)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page 1, 2  Next
pitfermi
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2022 19:04    Post subject: Bootloader needed, again (buffalo wzr-1750dhp) Reply with quote
Can someone please provide a working bootloader, or complete firmware image including bootloader for the buffalo wzr-1750dhp ? a year ago (check link below) i asked for a bootloader, but i was told it doesnt look good?

https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=329374

my original problem is that I had bricked the router..
https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=329312&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

i had no time to test until recently, flashed that bootloader file using a flash tsop48 adapter from aliexpress (https://de.aliexpress.com/item/1005003021538241.html?gatewayAdapt=glo2deu). but had no luck getting a serial console after resoldering the chip back on..

i am out of options right now. any help, files would be appreciated. Rolling Eyes
Sponsor
Wildlion
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 0:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
What is wrong with the one I posted in that thread?
pitfermi
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 0:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
Wildlion wrote:

idk someone said it contains ram information and is thus bad? i dumped it to the nand flash chip, maybe i didnt write to the correct address? i started at 0x0
which model do you habe? US or EU?
dale_gribble39
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 3:13    Post subject: Reply with quote
Wildlion wrote:

This is what's wrong with it. Open the file with HxD and look at it. 1024kb is twice the size of the normal bootloader on Broadcom ARM devices. Do you have this router? If so, would be helpful to see the information of cat /proc/mtd.

And miles to go before I sleep." - Robert Frost

"I am one of the noticeable ones - notice me" - Dale Frances McKenzie Bozzio

<fact>code knows no gender</fact>

This is me, knowing I've ruffled your feathers, and not giving a ****
Some people are still hard-headed.

--------------------------------------
Mac Pro (Mid 2012) - Two 2.4GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon E5645 processors 64GB 1333MHz DDR3 ECC SDRAM OpenSUSE Leap 15.5
pitfermi
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 4:15    Post subject: Reply with quote
i have a couple other buffalo bootloaders from an ftp server i found here. sadly my router is not there, but i took a look into the Buffalo-WZR-D1800H one, it's 512kB.
i also doubt 1MB Bootloader is normal. idk check attached file

Buffalo-WZR-D1800H_cfe.bin
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  Buffalo-WZR-D1800H_cfe.bin
 Filesize:  512 KB
 Downloaded:  85 Time(s)

pitfermi
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2022 7:21    Post subject: Reply with quote
hey, found this post: https://www.linksysinfo.org/index.php?threads/buffalo-wzr-1750dhp-bricked.74962/#post-333505

I am no expert, but doesn't the line
Code:

nflash0.boot         Toshiba NAND flash offset 0 size 512KB

mean that the CFE is 512kB big?
dale_gribble39 wrote:
Wildlion wrote:

This is what's wrong with it. Open the file with HxD and look at it. 1024kb is twice the size of the normal bootloader on Broadcom ARM devices. Do you have this router? If so, would be helpful to see the information of cat /proc/mtd.
the-joker
DD-WRT Developer/Maintainer

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2022 11:25    Post subject: Reply with quote
Depends on device, my CFE is also 512KB big its a different machine by Broadcom also.
DD-WRT Inspired themes for the SVN Trac & FTP site
Join in for a chat @ #style_it_themes_public:matrix.org or #style_it_themes:discord

DD-WRT UI Themes Bug Reporting and Discussion thread

Router: ANus RT-AC68U E1 (recognized as C1)
pitfermi
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2022 11:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
can you tell me why there are 2 flash groups, for example each has their own .boot part, nflash0.boot and nflash1.boot ? why 2 of them?

the-joker wrote:
Depends on device, my CFE is also 512KB big its a different machine by Broadcom also.
the-joker
DD-WRT Developer/Maintainer

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2022 12:49    Post subject: Reply with quote
Both of them point to same partition I think.

Some reading for you

https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=1185565
https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=307822

DD-WRT Inspired themes for the SVN Trac & FTP site
Join in for a chat @ #style_it_themes_public:matrix.org or #style_it_themes:discord

DD-WRT UI Themes Bug Reporting and Discussion thread

Router: ANus RT-AC68U E1 (recognized as C1)
dale_gribble39
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2022 13:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
His CFE is grenaded; gone; done; kaput. Nothing you posted is of help, without any explanation.

In the "Buffalo WZR-1750DHP Flashing" thread, @ghoffman asked for a CFE dump twice; here and here, which resulted in a 1MB cfe dump here (direct download link), which is also 1024kb/1MB. Same file was also posted here(direct download link). SO, the CFE must be 1024kb/1MB, I guess; have to figure out the proper way to restore your flash chip and get you back in business...
pitfermi
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2022 14:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
thanks for finding those hidden posted cfe.bin files.. i guess the flashing method might be wrong. i will do some reading and attempts and report back.

dale_gribble39 wrote:
His CFE is grenaded; gone; done; kaput. Nothing you posted is of help, without any explanation.

In the "Buffalo WZR-1750DHP Flashing" thread, @ghoffman asked for a CFE dump twice; here and here, which resulted in a 1MB cfe dump here (direct download link), which is also 1024kb/1MB. Same file was also posted here(direct download link). SO, the CFE must be 1024kb/1MB, I guess; have to figure out the proper way to restore your flash chip and get you back in business...
LOM
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2022 15:44    Post subject: Reply with quote
dale_gribble39 wrote:

No the CFE must not be 1024KB, it should be 512KB.
The uploaded CFE in your first link looks to be ok at a quick glance but it is duplicated (the second half has the same contents as the first half) so just cut off the second 512KB from it with a hex editor.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2022 17:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
After examining the file again, that looks exactly like what the problem is. The attached file should be a proper split; please verify. Thank you for the interjection, LOM.
pitfermi wrote:
thanks for finding those hidden posted cfe.bin files.. i guess the flashing method might be wrong. i will do some reading and attempts and report back.

I would wait for a confirmation, but I think you were correctly flashing the file; it was just the wrong size.

buffalo_wzr_1750_dhp_cfe.bin
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  buffalo_wzr_1750_dhp_cfe.bin
 Filesize:  512 KB
 Downloaded:  83 Time(s)

Mac Pro (Mid 2012) - Two 2.4GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon E5645 processors 64GB 1333MHz DDR3 ECC SDRAM OpenSUSE Leap 15.5
pitfermi
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2022 23:11    Post subject: Reply with quote
Why would backing up the CFE result in a 1024kB file size instead of 512KB? Probably because there are 2 flash partitions pointing to the same address, like @the-joker pointed out and the gui software treats it as different boot locations? only explanation i can find.

Thanks for your help though guys.
I am currently attaching fly wires to the flash pads since i ripped some of them and have to use a tsop48 adapter to wire the flash.

dale_gribble39 wrote:
After examining the file again, that looks exactly like what the problem is. The attached file should be a proper split; please verify. Thank you for the interjection, LOM.
pitfermi wrote:

I would wait for a confirmation, but I think you were correctly flashing the file; it was just the wrong size.
dale_gribble39
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2022 1:02    Post subject: Reply with quote
If this router is like the Linksys EA series Broadcom Northstar (ARM) devices, it has two firmware partitions. I haven't looked for the output of cat /proc/mtd or a serial bootlog of stock firmware for this router to chase that rabbit down the hole. The erroneous double-sized CFE backup may be that there is (or was?) a flaw in the way the backup mechanism works, but that is pure speculation on my part. Hopefully, you can get the device recovered now.

Goto page 1, 2  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: