DIR -615 - WIFI password not working

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
Goto page 1, 2  Next
aaragorn86
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 1:32    Post subject: DIR -615 - WIFI password not working Reply with quote
Hi,

I have upgraded my D link DIR 615 to ddwrt dir615i1-firmware.

I basically want to connect my ddwrt router to Main router which is upstairs (non ddwrt firmware) wirelessly and connect my laptop wirelessly to ddwrt router (secondary router).

both main and secondary (ddwrt) router are successfully connected wirelessly. I am able to connect to the internet through wired LAN ports.

but the problem is that my laptop is not able to connect to the secondary router (DDWRT) VAP AP - it is keeping giving me wrong password error. I am using WPA2 personnel. I tried other security too but no use.

I have been trying to figure this out for past 2 weeks. so I am finally posting here. I read through the forum and youtube videos but no help.

I know atheros does not have bridge function so I am using client(primary router) and AP VAP for secondary router.

Also I am not able to connect to primary router through site survey function.
if anyone can help me with this.
Sponsor
dale_gribble39
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 2:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
Something tells me you are running 44715 release, which is no longer supported, regardless of what the router database says. My advice is to first upgrade to the current release, do a reset / hard reset and reconfigure from scratch.

https://download1.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/downloads/betas/2022/06-26-2022-r49361/dlink-dir615i1/

If your VAP is using the same SSID as the main router, you may wish to change that just in case your laptop is trying to connect to the main router. You should be using WPA security, WPA2 Personal with CCMP-128(AES) and nothing else.

And miles to go before I sleep." - Robert Frost

"I am one of the noticeable ones - notice me" - Dale Frances McKenzie Bozzio

<fact>code knows no gender</fact>

This is me, knowing I've ruffled your feathers, and not giving a ****
Some people are still hard-headed.

--------------------------------------
Mac Pro (Mid 2012) - Two 2.4GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon E5645 processors 64GB 1333MHz DDR3 ECC SDRAM OpenSUSE Leap 15.5
aaragorn86
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2022 2:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have installed the newer version but now the router is keep disconneting and conneting. power light is keep blinking. I am not able to go to the user interface. what do I do now? how do I do the hard reset?
dale_gribble39
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2022 2:40    Post subject: Reply with quote
First, try pressing and holding the reset button for ~10 seconds and see if it reboots and comes back up. If that doesn't work, then it sounds like the upgrade firmware file may have been bunked. I would try using either the previous stock firmware file or the dir615i1-factory-to-ddwrt-firmware.bin via Emergency Room to flash it. You will need an older version of Firefox portable browser for this, most likely. This may be one of those devices that has to be flashed with the factory-to-ddwrt.bin file via Emergency Room every time you upgrade.

https://www.optimizationcore.com/network/enter-emergency-room-interface-d-link-dir-615-e4/

http://forums.dlink.com/index.php?topic=44909.0

https://openwrt.org/toh/d-link/dir-615#rev_h1
Quote:
Rev H1, I1 are pretty much unbrickable as they have a built-in firmware recovery mode. Revision D5 does not have built in recovery.

To access, simply hold down the reset button while powering on the router. The power LED should blink orange. Set your computer with a static IP in the 192.168.0.x range, and open 192.168.0.1 in a web browser. Recovery mode loads up within a few seconds, but doesn't respond to pings. If the power LED is blinking orange the above page should be accessible.

You will need to flash either a stock firmware image or Openwrt-factory image, *not* a sysupgrade image.

Mac Pro (Mid 2012) - Two 2.4GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon E5645 processors 64GB 1333MHz DDR3 ECC SDRAM OpenSUSE Leap 15.5
aaragorn86
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2022 3:27    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks for the guidance, I have restored the router to Firmware: DD-WRT v24-sp2 (07/20/12).

so do I flash the latest june 2022 ddwrt factory firmware though ER method? or is there any other ddwrt stable version which has no problem with laptop authenticating VAP AP?

dale_gribble39 wrote:
First, try pressing and holding the reset button for ~10 seconds and see if it reboots and comes back up. If that doesn't work, then it sounds like the upgrade firmware file may have been bunked. I would try using either the previous stock firmware file or the dir615i1-factory-to-ddwrt-firmware.bin via Emergency Room to flash it. You will need an older version of Firefox portable browser for this, most likely. This may be one of those devices that has to be flashed with the factory-to-ddwrt.bin file via Emergency Room every time you upgrade.

https://www.optimizationcore.com/network/enter-emergency-room-interface-d-link-dir-615-e4/

http://forums.dlink.com/index.php?topic=44909.0

https://openwrt.org/toh/d-link/dir-615#rev_h1

Quote:
Rev H1, I1 are pretty much unbrickable as they have a built-in firmware recovery mode. Revision D5 does not have built in recovery.

To access, simply hold down the reset button while powering on the router. The power LED should blink orange. Set your computer with a static IP in the 192.168.0.x range, and open 192.168.0.1 in a web browser. Recovery mode loads up within a few seconds, but doesn't respond to pings. If the power LED is blinking orange the above page should be accessible.

You will need to flash either a stock firmware image or Openwrt-factory image, *not* a sysupgrade image.
dale_gribble39
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2022 4:03    Post subject: Reply with quote
aaragorn86 wrote:
Thanks for the guidance, I have restored the router to Firmware: DD-WRT v24-sp2 (07/20/12).

so do I flash the latest june 2022 ddwrt factory firmware though ER method? or is there any other ddwrt stable version which has no problem with laptop authenticating VAP AP?

Considering the factory-to-ddwrt.bin file has not changed sizes since the build you just flashed, I would venture to say that flashing the latest factory-to-ddwrt.bin file from Emergency Room is the correct choice.
dale_gribble39 wrote:
This may be one of those devices that has to be flashed with the factory-to-ddwrt.bin file via Emergency Room every time you upgrade.

Code:
dir615i1-factory-to-ddwrt-firmware.bin             20-Jul-2012 12:34             3801088
dir615i1-firmware.bin                              20-Jul-2012 12:34             3674140

Code:
dir615i1-factory-to-ddwrt-firmware.bin             26-Jun-2022 09:07             3801088
dir615i1-firmware.bin                              26-Jun-2022 09:07             3280924

If you run into further problems, report back.

aaragorn86
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 3:22    Post subject: Reply with quote
thanks a lot for the help.

I tried flashing through ER the latest version but it is not working - it says successful upgrade but lan is keep disconnecting and reconnecting after the upgrade. I tried another version from 2021 dec but same result with no use.

do I need do something after successful upgrade to stop lan from keep disconnecting and reconnecting? or is there another version that would solve my problem of laptop not taking the password?
dale_gribble39
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 11:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
Did you change any settings after updating? Did you do a reset after updating? Without knowing what you've done, I can't say that current release(s) are bad. And without any logs, I can't help you troubleshoot.

aaragorn86
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 0:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
[quote="dale_gribble39"]Did you change any settings after updating? Did you do a reset after updating? Without knowing what you've done, I can't say that current release(s) are bad. And without any logs, I can't help you troubleshoot.[/quote]

I didnt make any changes after update. After the update it kept disconnecting and reconnecting. I did not reset. I just did power off and on after the update was successful. should I do hard reset after the update?
dale_gribble39
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 4:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
What exactly kept disconnecting and reconnecting?

To reset:

If you can, try going to Administration -> Factory Defaults in the webUI to do a reset; if that is not possible, try depressing the reset button for ~10 seconds with the router powered up and release and wait until it reboots. Worst case is via telnet / ssh in PuTTY / terminal issue an nvram erase && reboot after setting a new password.

aaragorn86
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2022 1:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
the lan port kept disconnecting and reconnecting after successfully instaling newer version so I am not able to go to the web interface.

lan port will light up for few seconds and then disconnect and all lan ports will light up and the cycle continues. I saw ehternet physcially disconnect and reconnect in a cycle in the network connections section in the explorer.

I tried resetting but no use.
dale_gribble39
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2022 2:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
That sounds more like a boot loop situation. Would be great to have a serial log to see what exactly is going on.

the-joker
DD-WRT Developer/Maintainer

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2022 11:20    Post subject: Reply with quote
aaragorn86 wrote:
the lan port kept disconnecting and reconnecting after successfully instaling newer version so I am not able to go to the web interface.

lan port will light up for few seconds and then disconnect and all lan ports will light up and the cycle continues. I saw ehternet physcially disconnect and reconnect in a cycle in the network connections section in the explorer.

I tried resetting but no use.

During the reboot, interfaces go up and down, this is normal (as you observed via Explorer), after the boot cycle is complete it should normalize, if that's not the case, you need to provide syslogs (disabled by default) and enabled via CLI or GUI on the services tab.

If you are unable to get these logs and system doesn't normalize you will need to provide a serial connection log for the boot process.

Or try to recover the device via TFTP by reflashing the latest firmware for your device via this method.

DD-WRT Inspired themes for the SVN Trac & FTP site
Join in for a chat @ #style_it_themes_public:matrix.org or #style_it_themes:discord

DD-WRT UI Themes Bug Reporting and Discussion thread

Router: ANus RT-AC68U E1 (recognized as C1)
dale_gribble39
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2022 13:07    Post subject: Reply with quote
If the port lights are continuously cycling, it's a bootloop, most likely. I know that the leds will only cycle once or twice at most under normal conditions. I haven't dealt with any of the DIR-615 series personally, but I have dealt with bootloops on other devices. @OP, please clarify if it is a continuous led cycle that never stops or not.

aaragorn86
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2022 0:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
dale_gribble39 wrote:
If the port lights are continuously cycling, it's a bootloop, most likely. I know that the leds will only cycle once or twice at most under normal conditions. I haven't dealt with any of the DIR-615 series personally, but I have dealt with bootloops on other devices. @OP, please clarify if it is a continuous led cycle that never stops or not.

it is a continuous cycle that never stops.
Goto page 1, 2  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: