[SOLVED] br1: received packet on eth1.3 with own address

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
Goto page 1, 2  Next
foz111
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2022 12:42    Post subject: [SOLVED] br1: received packet on eth1.3 with own address Reply with quote
Updated to:r49326 but tried going back to r49113 same result.
Can anybody tell me where to start looking to correct this error?
i know br1 is my vlan.

Jun 24 13:25:21 R7800 kern.warn kernel: [ 112.219093] br1: received packet on eth1.3 with own address as source address

I have a USB mounted, 3 partitions named opt, jffs & swap
i mention the USB because i have conf-file=/jffs/dnsmasq.custom and last time i saw this message the USB had not mounted correctly.
Nothing has changed in my settings or configs we recently had a power outage.
I see Jan 1 00:00:45 R7800 kern.warn kernel: [ 45.465665] EXT4-fs (sda1): warning: mounting unchecked fs, running e2fsck is recommended
so i tried: root@R7800-2:~# umount /dev/sda1
root@R7800-2:~# e2fsck /dev/sda1
output:e2fsck 1.45.4 (23-Sep-2019)
opt was not cleanly unmounted, check forced.
Pass 1: Checking inodes, blocks, and sizes
Pass 2: Checking directory structure
Pass 3: Checking directory connectivity
Pass 4: Checking reference counts
Pass 5: Checking group summary information
opt: 11/1572864 files (0.0% non-contiguous), 198522/6290432 blocks
rebooted but same message br1: received packet on eth1.3 with own address as source address

i dont want to start reformatting the usb flash drive if you guys think i am barking up the wrong tree.
cheers for any advise

my Vlan settings:
swconfig dev switch0 set enable_vlan 1
swconfig dev switch0 vlan 1 set ports "1 2 3 6"
swconfig dev switch0 vlan 3 set ports "4 6t"
swconfig dev switch0 set apply
vconfig add eth1 3
brctl addif br1 eth1.3
ifconfig eth1.3 down
ifconfig eth1.3 up
###################

Just wanted to add nothing has been added/changed and this setup has worked for a while.

Network IPV4 - Isolated Vlan's with IoT Devices. Unifi AC-Pro x 3 AP's, Router Wi-Fi Disabled. OVPN Server With Paid Commercial Wireguard Client's. Gateway Mode, DNSMasq, Static Leases & DHCP, Pi-Hole DNS & Running Unbound.

No one can build you the bridge on which you, and only you, must cross the river of life!

Last edited by foz111 on Mon Jun 27, 2022 10:51; edited 1 time in total
Sponsor
the-joker
DD-WRT Developer/Maintainer

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2022 13:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hello mr foz

See https://forum.dd-wrt.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1264843#1264843

There are other threads about this issue, the MAC addresses is the fastest solution and simplest as detailed on my reply.

For instance I have no such issue (anymore), not that it is an issue, and can be ignored, my reply explains why it happens and how to solve simply.

No firmware version will make the issue go away, so for this always use the very latest which includes always the latest security patches, updated drivers, updated kernels and components.

DD-WRT Inspired themes for the SVN Trac & FTP site
Join in for a chat @ #style_it_themes_public:matrix.org or #style_it_themes:discord

DD-WRT UI Themes Bug Reporting and Discussion thread

Router: ANus RT-AC68U E1 (recognized as C1)
Per Yngve Berg
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2022 13:13    Post subject: Reply with quote
What is connected to port 4?
Is it a switch?
the-joker

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2022 13:15    Post subject: Reply with quote
Irrelevant what is connected to port 4. That's not why this happens. But my link above leads to my reply which explains why it happens and how to solve.
Join in for a chat @ #style_it_themes_public:matrix.org or #style_it_themes:discord

foz111
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2022 13:24    Post subject: Reply with quote
@ PYB yes a switch, never needed to tag in before, i assume you were going to say it needs tagging? i can tag it if required but has worked like this for some time unless something changed in recent builds?
@ joker from a ifconfig | grep HWaddr i see i have br0, br1, eth1, eth1.3 all on same mac

Added: Since removing the Vlan Ethernet cable from the router for 5 mins and connecting it back up i am no longer getting the error?

Network IPV4 - Isolated Vlan's with IoT Devices. Unifi AC-Pro x 3 AP's, Router Wi-Fi Disabled. OVPN Server With Paid Commercial Wireguard Client's. Gateway Mode, DNSMasq, Static Leases & DHCP, Pi-Hole DNS & Running Unbound.

No one can build you the bridge on which you, and only you, must cross the river of life!
Per Yngve Berg
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2022 13:37    Post subject: Reply with quote
It can be connected so it loops back to the router.

Example: Router->Switch1->Switch2->Router

In this Configuration it can be prevented by enabling STP.
the-joker

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2022 13:54    Post subject: Reply with quote
This isn't an error, its just a annoying message at best, understand bridges create aggregates of interfaces into a single interface, if any of them have the same MAC, bingo.

By default as my reply on post I pasted above explains it.

I have two switches one from router to office servers and one from router to other devices on living room, its not the cause for the message.

STP may solve this but will cause other issues that need to be solved in turn.

foz111
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2022 14:11    Post subject: Reply with quote
I can only assume this is some bug, last time i seen this message (after last upgrade) i noticed the USB had not mounted correctly and after applying settings on USB page i no longer had error messages in log.
Now the message has stopped after removing the Ethernet cable on the VLan port for a few minutes and reconnected it.
I have not ever seen this message until upgrading a few builds ago.
STP is disabled on br1

the-joker

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2022 14:20    Post subject: Reply with quote
There is no bug and this isnt related to USB, but, OK Ive tried.

foz111
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2022 14:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
i understand this is not a USB issue, that's what i was trying to say in last post, the applying of settings in the USB page previously must have done something for it to stop the errors in the log.
Not sure i understand why you say this is not a bug?
Is this supposed to happen?
i have used DD-WRT for years and run a Vlan with the same settings for some time, yet never until last week or the week before ever seen this message in the logs?
if not a bug why has the message gone from the log after removing the ethernet cable from the vlan port for a few minutes and reinserting it? Changed nothing else!
Not disagreeing with you, i just don't understand.

the-joker

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2022 14:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
There are several threads on these boards https://rb.gy/dbrprf about this message since 3xxxxx builds I supposed when it was first noticed and another umpteen reports on TRAC about it, there are solutions for it, but its not a bug.

Ive tried explaining to you why this happens and why its natural for it to happen both on default configs and not, Ive posted a link to my explanation, and briefly explained before on my previous reply.

There is no more to be said from my part.

You can solve this many ways, but its not a bug, feel free to believe otherwise.

So good luck Wink

lexridge
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2022 1:13    Post subject: Re: R7800 Error br1: received packet on eth1.3 with own addr Reply with quote
foz111 wrote:
Updated to:r49326 but tried going back to r49113 same result.
Can anybody tell me where to start looking to correct this error?
i know br1 is my vlan.

Jun 24 13:25:21 R7800 kern.warn kernel: [ 112.219093] br1: received packet on eth1.3 with own address as source address

This almost sounds like the dreaded "Martian Source Error" in RHEL. Check your routes and your arp tables. In my experience this occurs when you have two default routes, when you should have only one.

Netgear R7800 (WDS-AP, WAP, VAP) - DD-WRT r53562
Features in use: multiple VLANs over single trunk port

Linksys EA8500 WDS Station x2 - DD-WRT r53562

Netgear R6400v2 WAP, VAP 2.4ghz only w/VLANs over single trunk port.

OSes: Fedora 38, 9 RPis (2,3,4,5), 20 ESP8266s: Straight from Amiga to Linux in '94, never having owned a Windows PC.

Forum member #248
dale_gribble39
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2022 1:32    Post subject: Reply with quote
Is "Filter WAN NAT Redirection" enabled or disabled on the Security -> Firewall page? Those messages are because of a NAT loopback. Could be nvram gremlin, could be misconfiguration, but having STP and/or IGMP Snooping enabled on your bridge(s) will not cause this that I am aware of.

The "Martian source error" was a similar situation, in a sense:
Quote:
Mention of martian source in file /var/log/messages indicates a packet received on the active network interface eth0 whose source or destination IP address is not correct. An example of this scenario is source network IP address is already configured on the current system throwing martian source in log files.

Your choice was either to fix the problem or disable logging martians... the latter is not recommended.

And miles to go before I sleep." - Robert Frost

"I am one of the noticeable ones - notice me" - Dale Frances McKenzie Bozzio

<fact>code knows no gender</fact>

This is me, knowing I've ruffled your feathers, and not giving a ****
Some people are still hard-headed.

--------------------------------------
Mac Pro (Mid 2012) - Two 2.4GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon E5645 processors 64GB 1333MHz DDR3 ECC SDRAM OpenSUSE Leap 15.5
lexridge
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2022 1:49    Post subject: Reply with quote
dale_gribble39 wrote:

The "Martian source error" was a similar situation, in a sense:
Quote:
Mention of martian source in file /var/log/messages indicates a packet received on the active network interface eth0 whose source or destination IP address is not correct. An example of this scenario is source network IP address is already configured on the current system throwing martian source in log files.

Your choice was either to fix the problem or disable logging martians... the latter is not recommended.

Once the martian source errors started, the machines were completely inaccessible via either IP. Disabling the annoying log entries would not have worked in these cases. The work around was to edit /etc/sysconfig/network and the /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 files with specific gateways which ensured only one default gateway.

Netgear R7800 (WDS-AP, WAP, VAP) - DD-WRT r53562
Features in use: multiple VLANs over single trunk port

Linksys EA8500 WDS Station x2 - DD-WRT r53562

Netgear R6400v2 WAP, VAP 2.4ghz only w/VLANs over single trunk port.

OSes: Fedora 38, 9 RPis (2,3,4,5), 20 ESP8266s: Straight from Amiga to Linux in '94, never having owned a Windows PC.

Forum member #248
dale_gribble39
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2022 3:39    Post subject: Reply with quote
Sounds about right; You should never have to do that, though, except for setting static IPs and maybe when bonding interfaces. I have no love for Redhat, anyway.
And miles to go before I sleep." - Robert Frost

"I am one of the noticeable ones - notice me" - Dale Frances McKenzie Bozzio

<fact>code knows no gender</fact>

This is me, knowing I've ruffled your feathers, and not giving a ****
Some people are still hard-headed.

--------------------------------------
Mac Pro (Mid 2012) - Two 2.4GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon E5645 processors 64GB 1333MHz DDR3 ECC SDRAM OpenSUSE Leap 15.5
Goto page 1, 2  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: