Netgear R6250 Installation Help

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
OpeThereItIs
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2022 17:13    Post subject: Netgear R6250 Installation Help Reply with quote
Hello,

I have experience in flashing DD-WRT on devices in the past, but I only need to do this every few years. Because of that I don't recall off the top of my head the exact steps needed to flash the router. I'm familiar with the 30/30/30 hard resets, I am comfortable setting static IP's, all of that.

I found the files for the router here. I found the device specific instructions here but there's no entry for the 6250. Looked in the compatibility database for instructions and there's nothing listed. Even tried wrapping my head around the generic instructions here but I'm not sure where I'd upload the firmware file on the netgear gui.

Have I missed the instructions somewhere along the line, or am I missing something else here? TIA for any help!
Sponsor
the-joker
DD-WRT Developer/Maintainer

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2022 17:25    Post subject: Reply with quote
Welcome to forums.

Router database is outdated not to be used, current firmware files for the 6250 are here, same as your find.

You dont do 30/30/30 resets on Broadcom. But you should run nvram erase, perhaps before and after flashing DD-WRT.

Flashing instructions for your device, no idea, but someone else likely will. Looks like it can just use the correct chk file from stock FW, assuming your current stck doesnt lock 3rd party FW's from being flashed.

*.bin files can only be flashed from DD-WRT's web interface.
*.chk can be flashed from Netgear factory FW and from DD-WRT's web interface.

Use one file only no need to double flash.

Be prepared and research how to unbrick just in case before embarking on this fantastic adventure.

After you have DD-WRt force clear browsers cache with CTRL + F5

DD-WRT Inspired themes for the SVN Trac & FTP site
Join in for a chat @ #style_it_themes_public:matrix.org or #style_it_themes:discord

DD-WRT UI Themes Bug Reporting and Discussion thread

Router: ANus RT-AC68U E1 (recognized as C1)

Last edited by the-joker on Thu Jun 23, 2022 17:35; edited 1 time in total
dale_gribble39
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2022 17:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
For initial flash of your R6250, use the factory-to-dd-wrt.chk file; for future firmware upgrades from within DD-WRT, use the netgear-r6250-webflash.bin file. There is no need to flash the webflash.bin file of the same version after you have flashed the factory-to-ddwrt.chk file. Gratuitous reset via button (~10 second press) or via DD-WRT webUI (Administration -> Factory Defaults) at your discretion after flash. Netgear devices generally retain the stock wifi SSIDs and passwords, regardless of reset.

Looks like no device-specific wiki was ever written; but there is a placeholder link in the Netgear guides page.
OpeThereItIs
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2022 20:32    Post subject: Reply with quote
the-joker wrote:
Router database is outdated not to be used

I know not to use that stuff. I only referred to it to try and find installation instructions. I was a good boy and read all the stickies before making this post Smile

dale_gribble39 wrote:
For initial flash of your R6250, use the factory-to-dd-wrt.chk file

Factory reset the router, connect it direct to the pc via ethernet, login to it, then use the .chk via the Router Upgrade page? Wait for it to get done, login to ddwrt, then reset it again from there?

I need to have my ducks in a row before attempting the flash since the router is currently in use at the business I work for. I'll be doing this after we close for the day and need to get it right.

Thanks again to both of you for your help Smile
dale_gribble39
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2022 20:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yes, that's the easy way to do it so you don't risk issues. The other way is to allow the router to finish rebooting after flashing to DD-WRT and use the reset button. And another way is to wait until you can set new password in DD-WRT, log in to webUI, then via telnet 'nvram erase && reboot' which will require to set a new password afterwards. On Netgear devices, this is somewhat trivial due to the previously mentioned information regarding your wifi.
And miles to go before I sleep." - Robert Frost

"I am one of the noticeable ones - notice me" - Dale Frances McKenzie Bozzio

<fact>code knows no gender</fact>

This is me, knowing I've ruffled your feathers, and not giving a ****
Some people are still hard-headed.

--------------------------------------
Mac Pro (Mid 2012) - Two 2.4GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon E5645 processors 64GB 1333MHz DDR3 ECC SDRAM OpenSUSE Leap 15.5
OpeThereItIs
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2022 16:44    Post subject: Reply with quote
I know this goes back to June, but I finally flashed the router using the .chk here. Two things I can't seem to figure out:

VAP doesn't want to issue IP addresses. I followed this guide from the wiki. I have VAP working on an older atheros build from two years ago on my TP Link AC1750 I have at home. I'm suspicious of the firmware not allowing it to connect correctly. I cross checked all my settings from my home router to this one, and it's all matching.

Also, I got called down to our shop to address the router disconnecting a few times this morning interrupting sales. I've been down here almost an hour and it hasn't acted up. IDK what is going on with it disconnecting randomly since I haven't witnessed it myself. Is there some setting I may be overlooking that could be causing this? The only settings I adjusted were activating that VAP and trying to configure it, and changing the SSID on the two radios. I can try to post logs with a bit of guidance for which ones are needed.
egc
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2022 17:06    Post subject: Reply with quote
After you have flashed to the new build did you do a full reset and configured manually ?

If not that is advised to do.

When you are working on the router and click Apply services restart and you have disconnections so do not work on the router if it is used.

Attached my notes how I setup a VAP (not claiming it to be the best way but it works for me)

DDWRT Virtual Access Point Public-2.doc
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  DDWRT Virtual Access Point Public-2.doc
 Filesize:  508.5 KB
 Downloaded:  112 Time(s)

Forum Guide Lines (important read):https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=324087
OpeThereItIs
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2022 17:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
egc wrote:
After you have flashed to the new build did you do a full reset and configured manually ?

I made the mistake of starting to configure the router without resetting, then remembered and hit the reset button on the back of the router for ~10 seconds. Came back up and prompted me to change the username/pass on the router, so I figured the reset worked. This has all happened since then.

Quote:
When you are working on the router and click Apply services restart and you have disconnections so do not work on the router if it is used.

If I'm reading this correctly it's a reminder that changing settings and hitting apply interrupts the connection while it applies. We have a small retail shop (think something along the lines of a GameStop store. It's not a game store, but best analogy) and any settings that I apply are done when our store is empty.

Quote:
Attached my notes how I setup a VAP (not claiming it to be the best way but it works for me)

I appreciate it. I'll take a look!

Is there a better firmware version that I should flash to the router besides the one I linked in my previous post? Like I stated, I'm suspicious that there's a bug in the firmware that's causing some of these issues.
bushant
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2022 20:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have R6200v2 using same R6250 49976 factory-to-dd-wrt.chk file as you.

Just created unbridged VAP working fine.
Nothing wrong with the firmware.

Before asking for help - Read the forum guidelines AND Upgrade DD-WRT!
Adblock by eibgrad + Blocklist Collection
xichael
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2022 23:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
Would it be worth sticking with the last Kong release for the R6250, or will the latest DD-WRT beta be reliable enough?
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2022 23:32    Post subject: Reply with quote
Only one way to find out. Flash and report. You will probably want to screenshot your configs and do a hard reset after flashing as many changes have happened since his last build which may create issues. It is a given that <Kong> anything should be avoided, is no longer supported, is deprecated, etc. and that there have been many security and vulnerability patches applied since he left DD-WRT.

New Build - 11/09/2022 - r50841

https://download1.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/downloads/betas/2022/11-09-2022-r50841/netgear-r6250/

DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: