R9000 firmware bugging out

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
ItsMystic
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2022 4:25    Post subject: R9000 firmware bugging out Reply with quote
Recently I purchased an R900 and flashed the latest DDWRT build to it, but for some reason when I create vlans in the switch config tab, assign empty ports to them, and after a reboot, I am being assigned an APIPA address without having touched the DHCP settings at all.

Is anyone else having this issue? Is this a known issue? I have researched as much as possible to no avail, nvram reset countless times, and rebuild the config from scratch every time. I've also downgraded firmware several times, even down to the firmware on my old DDWRT router (an R7000) which is build r47381.
Sponsor
Alozaros
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2022 6:20    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hello and welcome to the forum
first your firmware is old... Razz current is 49268..and has lots of security patches and fixes...

VLANS via GUI on R9000.... i dont know if this option works at all...

In general for compatibility, for most of the routers that support Vlan segmentation, its advised to use start up commands via swconfig...

Also R9000 has a complex ports layout, as it contains x2 switches and this makes things about VLAN's a but challenging or even difficult to set up...even via swconfig commands...

However luckily, there is a guide, made by one forum member DWCruiser, that is successful in this VLAN endeavour...via swconfig start up commands...

https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=322349&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=60

I haven't tested it myself yet...but will do soon...once i get back to my R9000...

TP-Link WR1043NDv2 -Gargoyle OS 1.15.x AP,DNS,QoS,Quotas
Qualcomm-Atheros
Netgear XR500 --DD-WRT 55460 Gateway/DoH,Forced DNS,AP Isolation,4VLAN,Ad-Block,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R7800 --DD-WRT 55460 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,Forced DNS,AP&Net Isolation,x3VLAN,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R9000 --DD-WRT 55363 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,AP Isolation,Firewall,Forced DNS,x2VLAN,Vanilla
Broadcom
Netgear R7000 --DD-WRT 55460 Gateway/SmartDNS/DoH,AD-Block,Firewall,Forced DNS,x3VLAN,VPN
NOT USING 5Ghz ANYWHERE
------------------------------------------------------
Stubby DNS over TLS I DNSCrypt v2 by mac913
dale_gribble39
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2022 12:29    Post subject: Reply with quote
Alozaros wrote:
VLANS via GUI on R9000.... i dont know if this option works at all...

It doesn't AFAIK; is it at least now showing all 6 LAN ports?

As is noted, you have to use startup scripts to manipulate VLAN configuration on this router and the guide linked has been tested.
DWCruiser
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2022 21:59    Post subject: Reply with quote
Alozaros wrote:

I haven't tested it myself yet...but will do soon...once i get back to my R9000...

I have had 6 VLANs configured on Netgear R9000, running DD-WRT for over 1½ months now. Cruizing along nicely.

Setup in summary:
- Switch0- Port1 & Port2 share one VLAN
- Switch1- one VLAN for each port (1, 3 and 4)

The conjoined port (Switch1-Port2) is left as is.

The 4 VLANs work as intended in terms of network separation.

However, for some reasons, conflict arises when vAPs are turned on with unbridged option selected (i.e. using separate networks).

For this reason, i placed those 4 VLANs on individual bridges as a workaround to avoid conflict. And, also

WLAN0.1 - Guest wifi ---> becomes brGuest
WLAN1.1 - Internet of Things ---> becomes brIoT

They coexist with ... harmony. Separation of networks (from one to the rest) still holds as intended for VLANs, although using bridges instead. And, as a result, they make a total of 6 bridges on my setup.

Of course, i had to place the network addresses, unbridged & network isolation options on bridges instead of VLANs. Same for DHCP allocation at the bottom.

That is it. Cheers.

P.S. i had thought the revised article has sufficient detail but i recently got a private msg on same topic. Hence i provide some clarification here.

P.P.S. I have been running r49326 for several hours now with no issues.

Navigation

Jump to: