Research: Flash R7000 FW into stock RT-AC68U

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page 1, 2  Next
the-joker
DD-WRT Developer/Maintainer

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2022 19:32    Post subject: Research: Flash R7000 FW into stock RT-AC68U Reply with quote
@twindragon, I have half a mind of flashing my RT-AC68U E1 (dd-wrt says C1) with the R7000 Firmware, Im assured its interchangeable, does it work better for you, I mean generally?

Split thread: reference from build thread where reply above came from.

DD-WRT Inspired themes for the SVN Trac & FTP site
Join in for a chat @ #style_it_themes_public:matrix.org or #style_it_themes:discord

DD-WRT UI Themes Bug Reporting and Discussion thread

Router: ANus RT-AC68U E1 (recognized as C1)

Last edited by the-joker on Wed Jun 15, 2022 8:27; edited 1 time in total
Sponsor
twindragon6
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2022 4:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
the-joker wrote:
@twindragon, I have half a mind of flashing my RT-AC68U E1 (dd-wrt says C1) with the R7000 Firmware, Im assured its interchangeable, does it work better for you, I mean generally?

I actually found that the Asus CFE is better than Netgear's! Netgear's hasn't updated it in years! As far as the firmware, I just rock DD-WRT! It's been great! I tried playing with Openwrt but other than the code they use for the CFE it's a pain in the butt to use. The only time DD-WRT gets wonkey is when Brainslayer goes on a coding bender, so I just watch the SVN and flash what appears to be stable-ish. You could always try it. I have a Segger J-Link chip programmer so as far as bricking goes, there is pretty much nothing that I can't recover from. It works great for bad BIOS flashes as well.

https://www.segger.com/products/debug-probes/j-link/

Here is some info about how I tweaked the CFE for my R7000.

https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=330158&highlight=uboot

The Asus CFE is just better period! As far as the rest of the DD-WRT firmware; It runs great, much better than anything Netgear has to offer. As far as I can tell the C1/E1 are the same so you should be okay I don't know what revision of the CFE the C1 or E1 has. For my R7000 switching from stock Netgear (V1.0.37) CFE to the C0 CFE made all the difference in the world. As far as I know nobody has built the 1.4.2.0 version from Broadcom source so maybe check first and back it up before flashing anything.

nvram show | grep version

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

I believe the C1/E1 use the same C0 CFE but don't quote me on this I'm not 100%. The rest of the hardware looks compatible, as a matter of fact it's pretty much the same thing.

One thing I forgot to mention, the R7000 has a lot less config burned into the CFE; they leave it up to the OS, so there is a lot of extra performance tuning crap in there you probably don't need if it's a stock one.

MODDED_CONFIG.txt
 Description:
R7000 Modded CFE Config

Download
 Filename:  MODDED_CONFIG.txt
 Filesize:  941 Bytes
 Downloaded:  80 Time(s)

cfe_rt-ac68u_5636_c0_1.3.0.7.bin
 Description:
CFE V1.3.0.7

Download
 Filename:  cfe_rt-ac68u_5636_c0_1.3.0.7.bin
 Filesize:  196.9 KB
 Downloaded:  209 Time(s)

cfe-1.4.2.tar.gz
 Description:
https://github.com/kevbroch/cfe/releases/tag/1.4.2

Download
 Filename:  cfe-1.4.2.tar.gz
 Filesize:  2.22 MB
 Downloaded:  81 Time(s)

Last edited by twindragon6 on Wed Jun 15, 2022 5:46; edited 6 times in total
dale_gribble39
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2022 4:37    Post subject: Reply with quote
I don't see anything in that github repository that applies to BCM947xx SoC boards.
You have to have specific board data to compile the CFE bootloader.
twindragon6
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2022 5:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
dale_gribble39 wrote:
I don't see anything in that github repository that applies to BCM947xx SoC boards.
You have to have specific board data to compile the CFE bootloader.

The code is really old! Broadcom purchased a company called Sibyte. The architecture is different (MIPS) so probably cross compiled for the target (ARM), you can steal the info for the specific board data for your platform from source code if they actually provided it. Asus does, Netgear doesn't other manufactures vary. The trick will be finding the information in source somewhere from somebody for the target chip and compiling it and I haven't been that bored lately.

cfe.pdf
 Description:
Documentation

Download
 Filename:  cfe.pdf
 Filesize:  1.23 MB
 Downloaded:  106 Time(s)

the-joker

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2022 8:24    Post subject: Reply with quote
I took the liberty to split the conversation into this separate thread, to not only keep the build thread onpoint and also to avoid PM conversations on the subject which the general community may not benefit from, so I prefer to keep information open and accessible. I hope you dont mind. Wink

@twindragon

Thanks for your reply, my RT-AC68U has a 100% stock CFE from Asus, Ive never fiddled with it, and dont have immediate plans to.

re: versions.
Code:
:~# nvram show | grep version
router_version=211005
os_version=49202
bl_version=1.3.0.7

This idea of flashing the r7000 DD-WRT into the RT-AC68U came from an unrelated conversation with Brainslayer to which he replied.
brainsslayer wrote:
the northstar images are combined for all northstar devices. you can also flash a r7000 image on asus and it will work
and depending on the previous installed firmware version you can only use 32 mb flash of the asus for firmware upgrades

Obviously this being my only current router in operation, Im not going to do this just now, obviously backup/backup/backup is the rule of thumb for any such fiddling to have a fallback in case something needs reverting.

I don't think and I haven't asked BS if you need a modded CFE, but I will presume you don't, you mention the r7000 CFE leaves more for the OS to handle. so I need to check the details out.

Im not averse to using HW programmers, Ive been using them for years to repair and reflash many different chips on a miriad of different hardware, mostly by removing the chips, reflashing and soldering it back as not all chips like/support being flashed in circuit.

Ill give your links a read, and bookmark them, but it is all at the moment an academic endeavor.

And again thanks for all the comprehensive info/files provided, indeed educational. Wink

Join in for a chat @ #style_it_themes_public:matrix.org or #style_it_themes:discord

twindragon6
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2022 11:54    Post subject: Reply with quote
Quote:

re: versions.
Code:
:~# nvram show | grep version
router_version=211005
os_version=49202
bl_version=1.3.0.7

That looks like the same C0 CFE, you might get more performance out of it by modding it. The R7000 has less hard coded config, the AC68U does have a few strings I added that aren't present in the stock R7000. It should work on both! The C0 CFE has more recovery options available which can be helpful at times.

Quote:

This idea of flashing the r7000 DD-WRT into the RT-AC68U came from an unrelated conversation with Brainslayer to which he replied.

Brainslayer wrote:
the northstar images are combined for all northstar devices. you can also flash a r7000 image on asus and it will work
and depending on the previous installed firmware version you can only use 32 mb flash of the asus for firmware upgrades

The hardware is identical.

Quote:

I don't think and I haven't asked BS if you need a modded CFE, but I will presume you don't, you mention the r7000 CFE leaves more for the OS to handle. so I need to check the details out.

You don't, (not usually anyway) the idea came to me from XWRT-VORTEX

http://xvtx.ru/xwrt/

Just don't flash their CFE It's only compatible with XWRT-VORTEX!!! Mine works with stock Netgear, DD-WRT and other variants. They take the CFE edit to an extreme which makes it incompatible with anything else! There are a few forum members that have had issues even returning to stock firmware after using XWRT-VORTEX because of the tweaks they use.

CFEEdit.zip
 Description:
A tool to manipulate CFE settings

Download
 Filename:  CFEEdit.zip
 Filesize:  607.74 KB
 Downloaded:  97 Time(s)

Last edited by twindragon6 on Wed Jun 15, 2022 12:13; edited 1 time in total
the-joker

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2022 12:11    Post subject: Reply with quote
Excellent. I have a dump of my CFE already which I did via DD-WRT UI with https://ip/backup/cfe.bin, so I'll have a look around with that tool.

Thanks for the share.

Last edited by the-joker on Wed Jun 15, 2022 12:16; edited 2 times in total
twindragon6
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2022 12:15    Post subject: Reply with quote
the-joker wrote:
Excellent. I have a dump of my CFE already which I did via DD-WRT UI with https://ip/backup/cfe.bin, so I'll have a look around with that tool.

Thanks for the share.

No problem, in the link to the other post I shared should be all of the information you need. Stock settings, custom ones. The custom ones should work on the AC68U as well. The cfe_r7000_MOD.bin is already modified You will have to set the MAC addresses before flashing it.

ETH MAC Address = Address from sticker
WL1 MAC Address = ETH MAC Address + 2
WL2 MAC Address = ETH MAC Address + 7

For Example:
C4:04:15:**:**:35
C4:04:15:**:**:37
C4:04:15:**:**:44

Use your MAC!

Last edited by twindragon6 on Wed Jun 15, 2022 12:24; edited 1 time in total
the-joker

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2022 12:21    Post subject: Reply with quote
Sure thing, just for the heck of it... here is a screenshot I took a while back for basic CFE details

DD-WRT uses a different TX power by default than CFE.

Capture.PNG
 Description:
 Filesize:  17.34 KB
 Viewed:  3637 Time(s)

Capture.PNG

dale_gribble39
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2022 13:59    Post subject: Reply with quote
twindragon6 wrote:
The code is really old! Broadcom purchased a company called Sibyte. The architecture is different (MIPS) so probably cross compiled for the target (ARM), you can steal the info for the specific board data for your platform from source code if they actually provided it. Asus does, Netgear doesn't other manufactures vary. The trick will be finding the information in source somewhere from somebody for the target chip and compiling it and I haven't been that bored lately.

Then this should be able to be compiled for Broadcom 947XX MIPS and ARM SoCs, if you have all the files required and make adjustments. If we go by semantic versioning, and the included devices, this code isn't that old at v1.4.x considering the version(s) on Broadcom HND devices in question is(are) v1.0.x.

And miles to go before I sleep." - Robert Frost

"I am one of the noticeable ones - notice me" - Dale Frances McKenzie Bozzio

<fact>code knows no gender</fact>

This is me, knowing I've ruffled your feathers, and not giving a ****
Some people are still hard-headed.

--------------------------------------
Mac Pro (Mid 2012) - Two 2.4GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon E5645 processors 64GB 1333MHz DDR3 ECC SDRAM OpenSUSE Leap 15.5
twindragon6
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2022 20:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
dale_gribble39 wrote:

Then this should be able to be compiled for Broadcom 947XX MIPS and ARM SoCs, if you have all the files required and make adjustments. If we go by semantic versioning, and the included devices, this code isn't that old at v1.4.x considering the version(s) on Broadcom HND devices in question is(are) v1.0.x.

Yes Sir! I'll do some digging around later and see if I have the files with the relevant board data. If not I'll pull them out from Asus or some other manufactures source tree.
twindragon6
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2022 5:11    Post subject: Reply with quote
This will help! Look under software for the SB1-ELF Toolchain required for building the CFE code.

https://www.broadcom.com/support/download-search?pg=Embedded+and+Networking+Processors&pf=Embedded+and+Networking+Processors&pn=&pa=&po=&dk=&pl=&l=true

Direct Links:
https://docs.broadcom.com/docs-and-downloads/docs/eula_download/broadcom_2006a_410.i686-pc-linux-gnu.mips64-linux.tar.bz2

https://docs.broadcom.com/docs-and-downloads/docs/eula_download/broadcom_2006a_410.i686-pc-linux-gnu.sb1-elf.tar.bz2

https://docs.broadcom.com/docs-and-downloads/docs/eula_download/broadcom_2006a_410.mips-unknown-linux-gnu.native.tar.bz2

https://docs.broadcom.com/docs-and-downloads/docs/eula_download/broadcom_2006a_410.i686-pc-linux-gnu.native.tar.bz2

https://docs.broadcom.com/docs-and-downloads/docs/eula_download/broadcom_2006a_410.mips-unknown-linux-gnu.mips64-linux.tar.bz2

https://docs.broadcom.com/docs-and-downloads/docs/eula_download/broadcom_2006a_410.mips-unknown-linux-gnu.sb1-elf.tar.bz2

https://docs.broadcom.com/docs-and-downloads/docs/eula_download/broadcom_2006a_410.src.tar.bz2

Last edited by twindragon6 on Sat Jun 18, 2022 20:11; edited 1 time in total
dale_gribble39
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2022 15:29    Post subject: Reply with quote
What exactly are those tarballs? CFE bootloader source code? Toolchains? SDK? If the "410" is a version number, those tarballs are antique code. In stock firmware, Linksys E-series uses v5.x.x SDK drivers, some similar Netgear W* and R* series MIPS devices use v6.x.x SDK drivers, and most all Broadcom ARM devices use either v6.x.x or v7.x.x SDK drivers. And to correct myself earlier, Broadcom ARM HND devices use either 1.2.x or 1.3.x version of the CFE bootloader; I was thinking of MIPS devices, possibly.

Mac Pro (Mid 2012) - Two 2.4GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon E5645 processors 64GB 1333MHz DDR3 ECC SDRAM OpenSUSE Leap 15.5
twindragon6
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2022 19:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
dale_gribble39 wrote:
What exactly are those tarballs? CFE bootloader source code? Toolchains? SDK? If the "410" is a version number, those tarballs are antique code. In stock firmware, Linksys E-series uses v5.x.x SDK drivers, some similar Netgear W* and R* series MIPS devices use v6.x.x SDK drivers, and most all Broadcom ARM devices use either v6.x.x or v7.x.x SDK drivers. And to correct myself earlier, Broadcom ARM HND devices use either 1.2.x or 1.3.x version of the CFE bootloader; I was thinking of MIPS devices, possibly.

Look at page 86 of the CFE.pdf, This is the Broadcom SB1-ELF Toolchain required for building the CFE. You can't just use any toolchain, it won't compile. Not without issues anyway. Like I said before, the CFE code is very very old, as far as I know nobody built the later versions. It's all a offshoot or derivative of the V1.0.37 ancient code. Even the 6.XX and 7.XX CFE's make reference to being based on v1.0.37 so...
I think I'm going to try to build it. Right now I'm looking for a reference design for the Broadcom BCM4709A0
dale_gribble39
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2022 20:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
I had already answered my own question by the time you responded. I have a feeling that the answers you seek are at your fingertips.

Goto page 1, 2  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: