paralyzed router how to fix

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> General Questions
Goto page 1, 2  Next
tgvrfcedx
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2022 4:06    Post subject: paralyzed router how to fix Reply with quote
sometimes the routers just drop out \ freeze

not able to connect into them remotely and the connections are down. need to power reset in person.

is there anyway to get the dd-wrt software to check itself and reboot if there is no connection\response? like cannot ping an address or somehting.

thanks
Sponsor
Alozaros
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2022 7:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
no information provided about, router, settings or current firmware will drop the level of help down to zero...
-router can freeze due to many things:
-bad PSU
- "connect into them remotely and the connections are down"
inappropriate remote access could block/freeze the router if too many attempts are done...
-end of its capacitors life
-bad settings
-out of nvram
-bad firmware flash or buggy

TP-Link WR1043NDv2 -Gargoyle OS 1.15.x AP,DNS,QoS,Quotas
Qualcomm-Atheros
Netgear XR500 --DD-WRT 55460 Gateway/DoH,Forced DNS,AP Isolation,4VLAN,Ad-Block,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R7800 --DD-WRT 55460 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,Forced DNS,AP&Net Isolation,x3VLAN,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R9000 --DD-WRT 55363 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,AP Isolation,Firewall,Forced DNS,x2VLAN,Vanilla
Broadcom
Netgear R7000 --DD-WRT 55460 Gateway/SmartDNS/DoH,AD-Block,Firewall,Forced DNS,x3VLAN,VPN
NOT USING 5Ghz ANYWHERE
------------------------------------------------------
Stubby DNS over TLS I DNSCrypt v2 by mac913
the-joker
DD-WRT Developer/Maintainer

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2022 11:32    Post subject: Reply with quote
You have in Administration tab -> Keep Alive tab option to reboot at a fixed interval default 3600 seconds = 1 hour or at your choice any other interval or At a set Time.

However this is limited to those options and does no check any connectivity.

To do a reboot based on something else, you would need to make a script and call that script via Cron. It's possible but you would need to get creative with this script.

See topic on wiki https://wiki.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Scheduled_reboot and something you should research, for my part I apologize for not giving you a script solution, I dont teach bash scripting either as there are plenty well documented resources on the web which many moons ago I read and still use for reference when writing bash script for all sorts.

You also have https://wiki.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Useful_Scripts which actually has a reboot script based on ping which you may need to adapt for your router interface name,

That said you may get lucky and someone will do your homework for you, but dont count on it Wink

Or get creative and install Teamviewer for remote access to this machine connected to the router and use that to reboot the router, assuming of course the WAN connection hasn't dropped and Teamviwer works.

Or some other kind of VNC, I used and contributed to the ultraVNC project many moons ago and dd-WRT has a nifty VNC repeater which helps with regular VNC connections which works with ultraVNC or use to anyway.
And thinking about it, it maybe possible depending on router (flash space allowing) to install via Entware or compile some VNC server and run that in DD-WRT and then you just use a client to connect to the VNC server running on the router. Me I would prefer to compile it myself since Entware packages are often outdated and maintain by 3rd unknown parties who I dont know who they are therefore dont trust.

If you compile it would be better cross compiling on a Linux VM since compiling on the router directly will take forever and consume all CPU/RAM resources.

That said, by now and like Alozaros stated, you should know that we need router and current firmware information when this type thread is opened (We always dont let other community members forget either and you have been around for a bit Wink).
Latest DD-WRT builds are always getting updated with various bug fixes and running older build could have some unresolved issue as well as unresolved know security issues. So you need to tells us, if it fixes or not your issue on these latest builds.

Ill assume you know where to find latest dd-wrt by now. Razz

And that's the way the cookie crumbles.

DD-WRT Inspired themes for the SVN Trac & FTP site
Join in for a chat @ #style_it_themes_public:matrix.org or #style_it_themes:discord

DD-WRT UI Themes Bug Reporting and Discussion thread

Router: ANus RT-AC68U E1 (recognized as C1)
dale_gribble39
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2022 13:25    Post subject: Reply with quote
The only other two options for keepalive is the proxy/connection watchdog (WAN) and the WDS watchdog, which do check connectivity. What solution are you looking for, exactly?

And miles to go before I sleep." - Robert Frost

"I am one of the noticeable ones - notice me" - Dale Frances McKenzie Bozzio

<fact>code knows no gender</fact>

This is me, knowing I've ruffled your feathers, and not giving a ****
Some people are still hard-headed.

--------------------------------------
Mac Pro (Mid 2012) - Two 2.4GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon E5645 processors 64GB 1333MHz DDR3 ECC SDRAM OpenSUSE Leap 15.5
tgvrfcedx
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2022 3:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
thanks for the reply,
KEEP alive would have been a good idea, but i think the issue is caused incoming WIFI only. cable LAN works but the wifi devices cannot connect.

i dont think the constant reboots will be a solution, knocking the network offline

the-joker wrote:
You have in Administration tab -> Keep Alive tab option to reboot at a fixed interval default 3600 seconds = 1 hour or at your choice any other interval or At a set Time.

However this is limited to those options and does no check any connectivity.

To do a reboot based on something else, you would need to make a script and call that script via Cron. It's possible but you would need to get creative with this script.

See topic on wiki https://wiki.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Scheduled_reboot and something you should research, for my part I apologize for not giving you a script solution, I dont teach bash scripting either as there are plenty well documented resources on the web which many moons ago I read and still use for reference when writing bash script for all sorts.

You also have https://wiki.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Useful_Scripts which actually has a reboot script based on ping which you may need to adapt for your router interface name,

That said you may get lucky and someone will do your homework for you, but dont count on it Wink

Or get creative and install Teamviewer for remote access to this machine connected to the router and use that to reboot the router, assuming of course the WAN connection hasn't dropped and Teamviwer works.

Or some other kind of VNC, I used and contributed to the ultraVNC project many moons ago and dd-WRT has a nifty VNC repeater which helps with regular VNC connections which works with ultraVNC or use to anyway.
And thinking about it, it maybe possible depending on router (flash space allowing) to install via Entware or compile some VNC server and run that in DD-WRT and then you just use a client to connect to the VNC server running on the router. Me I would prefer to compile it myself since Entware packages are often outdated and maintain by 3rd unknown parties who I dont know who they are therefore dont trust.

If you compile it would be better cross compiling on a Linux VM since compiling on the router directly will take forever and consume all CPU/RAM resources.

That said, by now and like Alozaros stated, you should know that we need router and current firmware information when this type thread is opened (We always dont let other community members forget either and you have been around for a bit Wink).
Latest DD-WRT builds are always getting updated with various bug fixes and running older build could have some unresolved issue as well as unresolved know security issues. So you need to tells us, if it fixes or not your issue on these latest builds.

Ill assume you know where to find latest dd-wrt by now. Razz

And that's the way the cookie crumbles.
tgvrfcedx
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2022 3:50    Post subject: Reply with quote
thanks for the reply,

im trying to find solution for a problem of the WIFI will stop responding to connections. sometimes its all devices sometimes its random device. its a random issue, the lan still works.

and before people ask the firmware and router type. it don't matter. as this happens on different versions and makes and models. im looking at a way to trouble shoot not a guide to fix XYZ

something causes the wifi interface to glitch, until a reboot gets it back online

dale_gribble39 wrote:
The only other two options for keepalive is the proxy/connection watchdog (WAN) and the WDS watchdog, which do check connectivity. What solution are you looking for, exactly?

dale_gribble39
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2022 4:07    Post subject: Reply with quote
tgvrfcedx wrote:
and before people ask the firmware and router type. it don't matter. as this happens on different versions and makes and models. im looking at a way to trouble shoot not a guide to fix XYZ

something causes the wifi interface to glitch, until a reboot gets it back online

Too late. Someone already went there.
Alozaros wrote:
no information provided about, router, settings or current firmware will drop the level of help down to zero...

Given the amount of variables involved, it would be helpful to know further details. Other than what has already been given as possible factors, since this is strictly a wifi issue, there's really only one place to look and that is how your AP interface(s) is(are) configured.

Mac Pro (Mid 2012) - Two 2.4GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon E5645 processors 64GB 1333MHz DDR3 ECC SDRAM OpenSUSE Leap 15.5
tgvrfcedx
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2022 4:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
so for example. when the problem occurs
what can i look at in the router? Syslogd ?
logs? status? to narrow down what has stopped working?
for example. DHCP problem, or AUTH, or something crashed?

under status> "Active Clients"

"Connections" tab. what does this represent exactly?
i notice some devices can be hundred or thousands

99% of the time everything works good
i trying to find what is triggering the issue
Alozaros
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2022 6:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
explore those options..
-bad wifi settings
-bad wifi client (incompatible with the current settings)
-bad PSU

post pic of your WIFI settings and wifi security page

Laughing Laughing Laughing Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

TP-Link WR1043NDv2 -Gargoyle OS 1.15.x AP,DNS,QoS,Quotas
Qualcomm-Atheros
Netgear XR500 --DD-WRT 55460 Gateway/DoH,Forced DNS,AP Isolation,4VLAN,Ad-Block,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R7800 --DD-WRT 55460 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,Forced DNS,AP&Net Isolation,x3VLAN,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R9000 --DD-WRT 55363 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,AP Isolation,Firewall,Forced DNS,x2VLAN,Vanilla
Broadcom
Netgear R7000 --DD-WRT 55460 Gateway/SmartDNS/DoH,AD-Block,Firewall,Forced DNS,x3VLAN,VPN
NOT USING 5Ghz ANYWHERE
------------------------------------------------------
Stubby DNS over TLS I DNSCrypt v2 by mac913
tgvrfcedx
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2022 8:50    Post subject: Reply with quote
-bad wifi settings
need more specific area to look

the clients connect and work as normal. until random issue

-bad PSU

attached

https://imgur.com/a/wNnrWsr

Alozaros wrote:
explore those options..
-bad wifi settings
-bad PSU

Laughing Laughing Laughing Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
blkt
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2022 13:15    Post subject: Reply with quote
Set wireless channel, not Auto. Antenna Gain zero, default. Router model and build? 06-16-2022-r49212
the-joker
DD-WRT Developer/Maintainer

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2022 13:44    Post subject: Reply with quote
Good luck with this and getting it solved.
DD-WRT Inspired themes for the SVN Trac & FTP site
Join in for a chat @ #style_it_themes_public:matrix.org or #style_it_themes:discord

DD-WRT UI Themes Bug Reporting and Discussion thread

Router: ANus RT-AC68U E1 (recognized as C1)
dale_gribble39
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2022 16:54    Post subject: Reply with quote
Using this post as an example only, with some personal recommendations:

https://ibb.co/pXHM6cf

https://ibb.co/6mWQWKP

tgvrfcedx
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2022 3:47    Post subject: Reply with quote
thanks can you explain why you suggest those settings?
vs
https://wiki.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Basic_Wireless_Settings

dale_gribble39 wrote:
Using this post as an example only, with some personal recommendations:

https://ibb.co/pXHM6cf

https://ibb.co/6mWQWKP

tgvrfcedx
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2022 3:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
oh gee, thanks so much for the support and cheerleading

the-joker wrote:
Good luck with this and getting it solved.
Goto page 1, 2  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 2
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: