WR-841ND two router WDS link keeps disconnecting

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
hambert
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2022 17:56    Post subject: WR-841ND two router WDS link keeps disconnecting Reply with quote
Hello all, I hope you can help me with the issues I'm having since the last months. I've had other connectivity issues with my setup in the past but nothing like this, and it seems to not show in the logs, I really don't know what to do.

My Setup (both routers on build 48954)

HambertRTR (WR841ND v11): WAN to internet, Gateway mode, wlan0 is WDS AP for the clients with public SSID broadcast, wlan0.1 is the WDS AP for linking with the second router with hidden SSID.
Wireless configs: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1mCowVGzqJrsncizoQwslDr7q6Bmhe1Sf/view?usp=sharing
|
|
| WDS Link
|
|
HambertRTR3 (WR841ND V10): No WAN, Router mode, wlan0 is WDS Station for linking with the main router, wlan0.1 is the WDS AP for the clients (same SSID as wlan0 of the main router to enable client roaming).
Wireless configs: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1U6S1u_059u8CEzGNm1xe0VLlX_5XJeWJ/view?usp=sharing

The problem

The WDS link keeps dropping every 5 to 20-30 minutes, in average. As a result, all the clients on the secondary router (HambertRTR3) loose connectivity and jump connections to the first router (HambertRTR). In previous builds it used to hold to maybe an hour but it would do the same, now more frequently.
After a minute the connection is somehow re-established and the clients start to come back to the secondary router, and then after 5 to 20-30 minutes it happens again.

What the logs say

HambertRTR: For what I understand, it registers the secondary router reconnects and handshakes (shown as wlan0.1 activity), but no apparent error:
Log sample: https://drive.google.com/file/d/13DcAYWCSJAXQcvhIWhobzdjyx1AZH30P/view?usp=sharing

HambertRTR3: Nothing is shown on the logs with respect to the WDS Station interface (wlan0). Only activity seen is coming from the WDS AP (wlan0.1 interface) and are the clients coming and going due to the loss of connection with the main router (internet loss), again all without apparent errors.
Sample: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1OUyYjhvDbAgjmbsy5E6ga6rvKHtoKGQA/view?usp=sharing

What I have already tried

- Switching to other channels.
- Modifying the ACk timing, tried low and high.
- Disabled "Disassoc Low Ack" in both routers.
- Filling the MACs on the WDS configuration page (for what I understand, it is not longer required and/or working well).
- Creating a virtual WDS AP on the first router exclusively for the WDS link (as current setup. Prevously the secondary router would connect directly to the same wlan0 WDS AP as the clients).
- Rotated the routers so now the link is between the v8 and v10 WR841s. This is to discard hardware compatibility issues.
- Flashed all the routers to the latest build (R9139) and manually set them up again.
- Followed the sticky wlan configs (the main changes to what I had before were disabling "Noise Immunity", activating RTS/CTS with a threshold of 784, and enabling U-APSD).

Well, I hope I made it complete enough for you. Any other info, just ask me. I really don't know what else to do.

Thanks to all in advance!!!
Humberto

Last edited by hambert on Tue Jun 21, 2022 11:24; edited 1 time in total
Sponsor
poyntzj
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2022 14:00    Post subject: Reply with quote
Just having done this on 3 routers (ok, R7800's).
I have wlan0 as as a hidden ssid that is the link and all station routers have the other 2 routers mac addresses in the lan list
wlan0 is wpa3 only
wlan0.1 and wlan1 are both wpa2/wpa3
wlan0.1 on all are the same ssid
wlan1 on all are the same ssid, but different channels.

Wireless settings are as per the QCA wireless sticky.

No drops from me, but all my 3 routers were reset before I switched or upgraded the dd-wrt so no old configs possibly messing things up
hambert
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2022 21:39    Post subject: Reply with quote
poyntzj wrote:
Just having done this on 3 routers (ok, R7800's).
I have wlan0 as as a hidden ssid that is the link and all station routers have the other 2 routers mac addresses in the lan list
wlan0 is wpa3 only
wlan0.1 and wlan1 are both wpa2/wpa3
wlan0.1 on all are the same ssid
wlan1 on all are the same ssid, but different channels.

Wireless settings are as per the QCA wireless sticky.

No drops from me, but all my 3 routers were reset before I switched or upgraded the dd-wrt so no old configs possibly messing things up

Well, inspired by your reply I did some extensive work.

I have a third WR841, with all three I have three different hardware revisions (v8, v10, v11). I didn´t mention it because it´s not part of the WDS wireless link. What I did is rotated them so the link is now between the main router (v10), and the oldest one (v8 ), leaving the v11 apart.

I´ve also took the work and flashed them all with the latest build (R49139) resetting all the settings to factory, and followed the sticky wlan configs.

So, what I did, in summary:

- Rotated the routers so now the link is between the v8 and v10 WR841s. This is to discard hardware compatibility issues.
- Flashed all the routers to the latest build (R9139) and manually set them up again.
- Followed the sticky wlan configs (the main changes to what I had before were disabling "Noise Immunity", activating RTS/CTS with a threshold of 784, and enabling U-APSD).

And the verdict is nope, same as before. Constant link drops.

I will give it until tomorrow to see if it stabilizes, but I think it´s a problem specific to the WR841s...

Thanks!
GamerHD
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2022 21:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=331155

I've struggled with this for over a year. It's a general WDS issue and we never got any specifics or workarounds. I appreciate all the effort everyone put in but it didn't help. Eventually I gave up and routed actual cables between all of my routers last month (hand to rebuild some walls and floors along the way but was worth it).
hambert
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2022 23:29    Post subject: Reply with quote
GamerHD wrote:
https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=331155

I've struggled with this for over a year. It's a general WDS issue and we never got any specifics or workarounds. I appreciate all the effort everyone put in but it didn't help. Eventually I gave up and routed actual cables between all of my routers last month (hand to rebuild some walls and floors along the way but was worth it).

Oh crap, I didn't notice your thread and ticket before. Yup, same bug. Well, at least an extra confirmation is always good when the logs don't say anything.

I'm also thinking on going the cable way, but I really shouldn't, that's what WDS Stations are meant for in our cases! Sad For me it's more than enough with the reduced bandwidth, I don't want to spend time an money doing cable when I don't need to...

Gonna reply to the ticket to add to it, thanks!
poyntzj
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2022 15:00    Post subject: Reply with quote
I did try a later build - as I want to get mesh running - and started to get problems. Saw the message about the vanilla binaries being updated from early 49xxx and switched to DD-WRT, which helped, but I was getting errors.
Reverted back to 48954 for now and the WDS is stable
tankerd
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2022 17:24    Post subject: Reply with quote
mine is also disconnecting and reconnecting frequently
using client mode
(tplink wr841ndv9) on latest build

mine also get worse when visiting routers page and editing something

lets hope this gets fixed now Smile
hambert
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2022 11:19    Post subject: Reply with quote
tankerd wrote:
mine is also disconnecting and reconnecting frequently
using client mode
(tplink wr841ndv9) on latest build

mine also get worse when visiting routers page and editing something

lets hope this gets fixed now Smile

Yup, it usually also disconnects when accessing the configuration page. I've noticed that also.

Hope to hear news soon...
dale_gribble39
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2022 14:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
Disable noise immunity and set ack timing to 1350.
And miles to go before I sleep." - Robert Frost

"I am one of the noticeable ones - notice me" - Dale Frances McKenzie Bozzio

<fact>code knows no gender</fact>

This is me, knowing I've ruffled your feathers, and not giving a ****
Some people are still hard-headed.

--------------------------------------
Mac Pro (Mid 2012) - Two 2.4GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon E5645 processors 64GB 1333MHz DDR3 ECC SDRAM OpenSUSE Leap 15.5
hambert
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2022 14:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
dale_gribble39 wrote:

If you read the "things I've already tried" you'll see I wrote "tried ACK timings low and high" and "used sticky WiFi configs" (that includes disabling noise immunity).

I think configuration problems are long gone as a possible cause, I think that is more than clear.....

Last edited by hambert on Tue Jun 21, 2022 15:10; edited 2 times in total
BrainSlayer
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2022 14:49    Post subject: Re: WR-841ND two router WDS link keeps disconnecting Reply with quote
hambert wrote:
Hello all, I hope you can help me with the issues I'm having since the last months. I've had other connectivity issues with my setup in the past but nothing like this, and it seems to not show in the logs, I really don't know what to do.

My Setup (both routers on build 48954)

HambertRTR (WR841ND v11): WAN to internet, Gateway mode, wlan0 is WDS AP for the clients with public SSID broadcast, wlan0.1 is the WDS AP for linking with the second router with hidden SSID.
Wireless configs: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1mCowVGzqJrsncizoQwslDr7q6Bmhe1Sf/view?usp=sharing
|
|
| WDS Link
|
|
HambertRTR3 (WR841ND V10): No WAN, Router mode, wlan0 is WDS Station for linking with the main router, wlan0.1 is the WDS AP for the clients (same SSID as wlan0 of the main router to enable client roaming).
Wireless configs: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1U6S1u_059u8CEzGNm1xe0VLlX_5XJeWJ/view?usp=sharing

The problem

The WDS link keeps dropping every 5 to 20-30 minutes, in average. As a result, all the clients on the secondary router (HambertRTR3) loose connectivity and jump connections to the first router (HambertRTR). In previous builds it used to hold to maybe an hour but it would do the same, now more frequently.
After a minute the connection is somehow re-established and the clients start to come back to the secondary router, and then after 5 to 20-30 minutes it happens again.

What the logs say

HambertRTR: For what I understand, it registers the secondary router reconnects and handshakes (shown as wlan0.1 activity), but no apparent error:
Log sample: https://drive.google.com/file/d/13DcAYWCSJAXQcvhIWhobzdjyx1AZH30P/view?usp=sharing

HambertRTR3: Nothing is shown on the logs with respect to the WDS Station interface (wlan0). Only activity seen is coming from the WDS AP (wlan0.1 interface) and are the clients coming and going due to the loss of connection with the main router (internet loss), again all without apparent errors.
Sample: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1OUyYjhvDbAgjmbsy5E6ga6rvKHtoKGQA/view?usp=sharing

What I have already tried

- Switching to other channels.
- Modifying the ACk timing, tried low and high.
- Disabled "Disassoc Low Ack" in both routers.
- Filling the MACs on the WDS configuration page (for what I understand, it is not longer required and/or working well).
- Creating a virtual WDS AP on the first router exclusively for the WDS link (as current setup. Prevously the secondary router would connect directly to the same wlan0 WDS AP as the clients).

Well, I hope I made it complete enough for you. Any other info, just ask me. I really don't know what else to do.

Thanks to all in advance!!!
Humberto

running ht40 in 2.4 isnt a good idea. too many inteferences. this can be a cause for your issue. beside this i dont see any error in your config on first view
and dont touch the wds tab with the static macs at all. this is for a very different protocol. wds ap -> wds sta. thats all nothing else is required

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2022 14:59    Post subject: Re: WR-841ND two router WDS link keeps disconnecting Reply with quote
BrainSlayer wrote:

running ht40 in 2.4 isnt a good idea. too many inteferences. this can be a cause for your issue. beside this i dont see any error in your config on first view
and dont touch the wds tab with the static macs at all. this is for a very different protocol. wds ap -> wds sta. thats all nothing else is required

Thanks A LOT for the reply. I will try Dynamic (20/40) and Full (20) ASAP and report back with the results.
dale_gribble39
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2022 14:59    Post subject: Reply with quote
hambert wrote:
dale_gribble39 wrote:

If you read the "things I've already tried" you'll see I wrote "tried ACK timings low and high" and "used sticky WiFi configs" (that includes disabling noise immunity).

I think configuration problems are long gone as a possible cause, I think that is more than clear.....

You were saying? I missed the channel with; may also wish to try Mixed instead of NG-mixed.
BrainSlayer wrote:

Mac Pro (Mid 2012) - Two 2.4GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon E5645 processors 64GB 1333MHz DDR3 ECC SDRAM OpenSUSE Leap 15.5
servicetech
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2022 9:19    Post subject: Re: WR-841ND two router WDS link keeps disconnecting Reply with quote
hambert wrote:

Thanks A LOT for the reply. I will try Dynamic (20/40) and Full (20) ASAP and report back with the results.

If you don`t require the newest builds, try build r47695 or r46220 (or older) at least on the WDS client and compare stability. Builds newer than r46220 are reported instable on low end wifi devices. You should reset the downgraded client device to factory and reconfigure from scratch.
dale_gribble39
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2022 19:00    Post subject: Reply with quote
The instability issues are a perception flaw. I am currently running a TL-WR1043ND v1 through the slaloms, hurdles, and obstacle course as we speak and speed testing hasn't shown me any evidence that there's a problem in the current release (49289) given the hardware specifications and realistic capabilities. Expecting a stock 1971 Chevy Vega to compete with a stock 1970 Camaro Z28 and win at the drag strip is unrealistic.

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 3
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: