No internet through Client Bridge

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
bushant
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2022 0:58    Post subject: Reply with quote
Second flash???
Only 1 flash needed to run DD-WRT.

Guess at this point reset to factory Defaults again and start over.

In case you missed it:
Netgear R6400 v2 and R6700v3 Install Guide
Sponsor
Raptor2213
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2022 1:10    Post subject: Reply with quote
bushant wrote:
Second flash???
Only 1 flash needed to run DD-WRT.

Guess at this point reset to factory Defaults again and start over.

In case you missed it:
Netgear R6400 v2 and R6700v3 Install Guide

I flashed it with the .chk to get from Netgear's firmware to DD and then reflashed it with .bin, expecting that a second was required.

Just did a factory reset again. I still can't disable Dnsmasq - it keeps re-enabling itself.
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2022 1:39    Post subject: Reply with quote
Is the DHCP server disabled on the Setup -> Basic Setup tab, like it's supposed to be? That would be the only reason why it wouldn't disable itself; aside from multiple dhcp servers being set up for VAPs or something like local DNS being entered. This is why we asked for *all* applicable complete screenshots.

You didn't need to double-tap it with the .bin file. Don't know why you expected that to be the procedure as there are only certain devices that would even require this because of device-specific nuances.

P.S. @strange is running current build in Client Bridge mode just fine:

https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=1264516#1264508

DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
Raptor2213
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2022 1:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
kernel-panic69 wrote:
Is the DHCP server disabled on the Setup -> Basic Setup tab, like it's supposed to be? That would be the only reason why it wouldn't disable itself; aside from multiple dhcp servers being set up for VAPs or something like local DNS being entered. This is why we asked for *all* applicable complete screenshots.

This was in my first reply ... but I don't have the option to disable DHCP.

1a.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  35.78 KB
 Viewed:  1424 Time(s)

1a.png

bushant
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2022 2:22    Post subject: Reply with quote
By any chance do the options appear if WAN Connection Type is set to Automatic Configuration - DHCP?

kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2022 2:27    Post subject: Reply with quote
Is your upstream router running an NTP server? No idea why that IP is there, that entry should be blank or the IP of an NTP server on the internet.

I guess I have to step through this again and look at the wiki, but I would advise that you do a reset / hard reset and start over and disable the DHCP server first, then WAN if the procedure in the wiki I linked is currently wrong.

I stepped through it with an R7000P after backing up my normal configs to ensure my last edit was good (but I'm human, fallible, but the old way doing the wireless settings first mucked this up and I edited it after helping someone with this same exact @#$%^&* problem!). If the DHCP server is enabled, it will break CB mode.

----------------------
Raptor2213
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2022 5:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
kernel-panic69 wrote:
Is your upstream router running an NTP server? No idea why that IP is there, that entry should be blank or the IP of an NTP server on the internet.

Yes, it is.

I've now factory reset my device twice. Still no luck. I was able to get dnsmasq off both times, but both times I still had no internet connection, just a LAN connection.
the-joker
DD-WRT Developer/Maintainer

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2022 7:41    Post subject: Reply with quote
So... You have DHCP server running on the DD-WRT router and another router which is the main router, presumably also acting as its own DHCP server for its own subnets, cof..

You should determine, that both routers can ping each other, no successful pings then networking between them has failed, you want to achieve ping ability and then work from there to get the rest working and always check with each settings changes that ping ability exists or has gone or started working... Basic stuff.

And a router running a NTP server. Never seen home routers have NTP servers, only clients but it can be done (Just bare in mind 99.999% of home routers dont have a RTC only software Clock), but TBH setting up DD-WRT NTP client like that is not quite right, DD-WRT's NTP is not your run of the mill NTP client. So I dont recommend that setup at all, leave IP blank and it will grab right time When WAN is working.

HOWEVER you can determine if your current NTP setup is working by looking at syslog for the DD-WRT router, if it isnt working it will have lots of NTP related errors in a RED background), You can enable syslog in services > services tab enable and click the Save button no need to click Apply.

I think so far from looking provided setup screenshots are not even remotely right to either one router being a wireless AP and other client or a wired connection between both routers, no surprise it doesn't work. And tbh setting up multiple routers is as much having correct settings in one as it is the other, and because the screenshots so far show some setup incongruities I wonder if the main router is actually properly setup for the task.

On an unrelated note: Its slightly worrying to look at screenshots of DD-WRT's web interface, where e.g. your select fields controls are larger than they should be in any OS/Browser, this tells me you either have some addon running that is affecting the browser or you have messed with the browser controls directly, or could be another reason but its evident some tinkering in going on and I dont recommend tinkering browser side because if you notice any weirdness in DD-WRT interface, please dont open tickets about it, hahahaha Wink. I recommend you use a browser that runs in private mode and without addons.

DD-WRT Inspired themes for the SVN Trac & FTP site
Join in for a chat @ #style_it_themes_public:matrix.org or #style_it_themes:discord

DD-WRT UI Themes Bug Reporting and Discussion thread

Router: ANus RT-AC68U E1 (recognized as C1)
angler
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2022 10:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
may want to try client mode vs CB.

had a few glitches in CB, but the LAN ports work fine in client mode.
Raptor2213
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2022 14:00    Post subject: Reply with quote
the-joker wrote:
On an unrelated note: Its slightly worrying to look at screenshots of DD-WRT's web interface, where e.g. your select fields controls are larger than they should be in any OS/Browser, this tells me you either have some addon running that is affecting the browser or you have messed with the browser controls directly, or could be another reason but its evident some tinkering in going on and I dont recommend tinkering browser side because if you notice any weirdness in DD-WRT interface, please dont open tickets about it, hahahaha Wink. I recommend you use a browser that runs in private mode and without addons.

Have you legitimately not heard of in-browser zoom, stretching a window across multiple monitors, or putting a monitor in portrait mode?

My main router is enterprise grade router from Ubiquti. It can definitely support NTP. Wink
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2022 14:34    Post subject: Reply with quote
Sorry, Ubiquiti firmware does not include an NTP server. You can only set it up to send NTP server data in DHCP responses, AFAIK. Show us the money on that configuration, please; IOW, link the how-to.

----------------------
Raptor2213
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2022 14:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
kernel-panic69 wrote:
Sorry, Ubiquiti firmware does not include an NTP server. You can only set it up to send NTP server data in DHCP responses, AFAIK. Show us the money on that configuration, please; IOW, link the how-to.

I realize that this is a DD-WRT forum, and you're likely not as familiar with other varieties of firmware, but Ubiquti routers have had NTP for a long time now - ever since the first one I used. Regardless, an issue with NTP would not cause the issue where the router itself can access the internet, but LAN clients cannot.
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2022 16:07    Post subject: Reply with quote
I've been familiar with Ubiquiti since 2003 or so (you know, the year they were founded in California?), and I know of *no* included NTP server functionality. So, post the details, please. Thanks. Wink

----------------------
ho1Aetoo
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2022 16:22    Post subject: Reply with quote
google says edge router and usg's have a NTP server but no RTC
what is the point of the NTP server if the device itself can not remember the time and is dependent on other NTP servers
Raptor2213
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2022 17:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
ho1Aetoo wrote:
google says edge router and usg's have a NTP server but no RTC
what is the point of the NTP server if the device itself can not remember the time and is dependent on other NTP servers

Nice to see that someone in this thread knows how to google.
I'm not sure where you get that it can't remember time though, as I'm positive virtually every router has an internal clock of some kind.

We're getting off topic though. I still haven't had any luck getting the device working as a glorified NIC for downstream devices.
Any other suggestions?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 2 of 4
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: