Keep losing WAN IP while setting up vlans

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.)
Goto page Previous  1, 2
the-joker
DD-WRT Developer/Maintainer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2022 17:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
RJS wrote:
Maybe I just misunderstood, but since I was not having any success with them, I accepted the answer.

You did misunderstand that also if you read what it says properly, your router supports nvram commands, but in order to setup some things you have to use the right commands, because you were using the wrong ones relatively to the build you were on.

The right commands also depend on the build you are using, dd-wrt evolves, so its hard to keep up with all the changes.

I only commented because a misunderstanding makes all the difference between the right way and the wrong way and no success.

Anyway all cleared up now. I hope.

DD-WRT Inspired themes for the SVN Trac & FTP site
Join in for a chat @ #style_it_themes_public:matrix.org or #style_it_themes:discord

DD-WRT UI Themes Bug Reporting and Discussion thread

Router: ANus RT-AC68U E1 (recognized as C1)
Sponsor
RJS
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2022 2:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
I am afraid the only thing that is cleared up is that I am just as confused as ever. I put the tags back in and now I am back at ground zero. Let me study up on tags some more and come back with questions if and when I need. Thanks.
dale_gribble39
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2022 2:51    Post subject: Reply with quote
RJS wrote:
I do use swconfig dev switch0 show, which is what confused me. I don't fully comprehend everything it tells me. But after running "brctl addif br1 vlan3", I kept getting the message "interface vlan3 does not exist!" and yet swconfig showed it there. Turns out br1 did not exist.

You probably need to reset to defaults and add your bridges via webUI first, save, apply (and maybe reboot) as it says in the linked instructions.
SurprisedItWorks wrote:
Second, note that I do not deal here with DHCP and setting IP addresses. Instead I assume that in addition to the default bridge br0 there is already a bridge br1 on its own subnet with working DHCP services. At the beginning of this VLANning effort, that second bridge on my system contained only a wifi virtual access point (VAP). To get to a similar point, see https://wiki.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Guest_Network, Section entitled "Prior to 23020", steps 1...4. Do not skip the intermediate save/apply steps. I believe steps 5 and 6 are out of date and that instead you need to return to the section for your new bridge in Setup>Networking. The Masquerated/NAT and Network Isolation options there respectively give the new bridge internet access and isolate it from br0.

Then, you can proceed with the swconfig, vconfig, and brctl steps.

And miles to go before I sleep." - Robert Frost

"I am one of the noticeable ones - notice me" - Dale Frances McKenzie Bozzio

<fact>code knows no gender</fact>

This is me, knowing I've ruffled your feathers, and not giving a ****
Some people are still hard-headed.

--------------------------------------
Mac Pro (Mid 2012) - Two 2.4GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon E5645 processors 64GB 1333MHz DDR3 ECC SDRAM OpenSUSE Leap 15.5
RJS
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2022 2:34    Post subject: Reply with quote
Well, I had to disappear for a while (family emergency), but all is well and I got back to this. It appears that setting the set_enable_vlan command correctly and adding the tags back in did the job. All my ports are working as I wanted. Vlan1 (ports 1,2 &3) can see vlan3 (port 4), but vlan 3 cannot see 1. However, all ports can see the vlan2 (wan port). Still have to work on my wireless. So thanks for all the help. I will go play some more.
the-joker
DD-WRT Developer/Maintainer

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2022 11:41    Post subject: Reply with quote
Well glad youre half way there.

in order for separate unique subnets to communicate propely with each other, routing must be setup between them so they all know about to route traffic to these separate subnets.

Again, if you cant ping to and from each subnet then routing isn't properly setup, if ping doesn't work, nothing else will.

DD-WRT Inspired themes for the SVN Trac & FTP site
Join in for a chat @ #style_it_themes_public:matrix.org or #style_it_themes:discord

DD-WRT UI Themes Bug Reporting and Discussion thread

Router: ANus RT-AC68U E1 (recognized as C1)
dale_gribble39
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2022 14:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
The goal was to separate the network segments so there was no cross-talk, at least that is what I inferred from the OP. Tying the wireless in to whichever bridge or vlan is all that is left; again, that is how I read the text.
And miles to go before I sleep." - Robert Frost

"I am one of the noticeable ones - notice me" - Dale Frances McKenzie Bozzio

<fact>code knows no gender</fact>

This is me, knowing I've ruffled your feathers, and not giving a ****
Some people are still hard-headed.

--------------------------------------
Mac Pro (Mid 2012) - Two 2.4GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon E5645 processors 64GB 1333MHz DDR3 ECC SDRAM OpenSUSE Leap 15.5
RJS
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2022 23:41    Post subject: Reply with quote
the-joker wrote:
Well glad youre half way there.

in order for separate unique subnets to communicate propely with each other, routing must be setup between them so they all know about to route traffic to these separate subnets.

Again, if you cant ping to and from each subnet then routing isn't properly setup, if ping doesn't work, nothing else will.

I plugged a laptop into each vlan, leaving one on vlan 3 and moving the other to each port assigned to vlan 1. I used ipconfig to verify each laptop was getting the expected IP address. And pinged back and forth to see if the iptables were working correctly. Vlan 1 sees all the ports, but vlan 3 only sees the wan port (vlan2). But I got to thinking about it this morning. Vlan3 (the IoT subnet) is able to open the router's webpage and the modem's webpage. I am not sure whether I should allow that, or how I can prevent it. I will have to look into that.

But so far, so good. Will work on it as I have time. Just wanted to go ahead and update that my immediate problem was resolved and properly thank everyone for steering me in the right direction.
Goto page Previous  1, 2 Display posts from previous:    Page 2 of 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.) All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: