Migrate from WDS to 802.11s

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
poyntzj
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2022 20:42    Post subject: Migrate from WDS to 802.11s Reply with quote
So I now have a third R7800 and I have all three are running 48954 and are now working in WDS mode (there will be a fourth at some point in the near future and that unit will not reach the the primary router, so the idea of 802.11s and self healing appeals)

the WDS AP has both the Stations Mac addresses in the Wlan0-WDS page and on the stations they both have the WDS AP and the other station mac.
WDS is running on a 5g network and all 3 units are on the same channel.
There is a 5G VAP with the same name and password on all three units
For the 2G, each unit has the same ssid, creds and for now on the same channel.

I tried changing the network on all three to Mesh/802.11s and they did not reconnect. Do they need the info in the WLan0-WDS or should that be cleared as I also read that 802.11s "learns" ?

From what I have read on here, others seem to have swapped with no issues. Do I still run the mesh on just 5G or can I run on both 5G and 2G (the WDS tutorial advises to run just one)

any info / advice would be appreciated
Sponsor
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2022 22:37    Post subject: Reply with quote
There is no wiki written, no absolute write-up on setting up 802.11s Mesh networking at present. Nobody has seemed to put any effort into it.

Your previous related posts:

Mesh Wireless security
Mesh and Virtual Mac
R7000 - no Mesh mode

Totally unrelated post(s):

Mesh Setup for dd-wrt (this was actually asking about WDS)

Related posts (others asking how to set up, etc):

Mesh forwarding (no comment)
NightHawk Model R7800 VPN Bridge to TP Link mesh network (I guess this was never resolved...)
Help with mesh
Help: Archer C7 Wireless Mode: Mesh / 802.11s
Wireless mode: Mesh / 802.11s (this one digressed to WDS)
Mesh Networking 802.11s (probably the closest to being helpful)

DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
poyntzj
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2022 8:31    Post subject: Reply with quote
kernel-panic69, thanks for the response.
It is down to the fact the XR7000's exhibit that virtual mac issue and I have seen a device prompt for a login again as it clearly moved between the router and the XR's, changed mac and the site went - "you are different login again".

I didn't realise about the R7000's being broadcom, so not sure whether to keep that as a spare for someone or to sell it.

I did read a number of the mesh articles and is where I have kind of ended up. I did forget about the one where it was seeminly working with no security so I may try that tonigh and see how it goes and then if that connects try to add it back again

thanks
poyntzj
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2022 21:50    Post subject: well, that was interesting Reply with quote
So changed the settings to 802.11s on two devices and removed the security. I could see they tried to connect in the Status page, but I was seeing a speed of 54M for both TX and RX and the Info said LEGACY
Didn't matter what channels I tried, if I had the settings under wlan0-WDS enabled or disabled.
The wireless settings I am using are as per the QCA Wifi settings sticky and when back in WDS mode I am seeing RX and TX speeds between 1170 and 1300 and the info is set to VHT80SGI

May look at a later version when I get a chance. Just a couple of non happy peeps here while I try to get this working properly.
bushant
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2022 20:20    Post subject: Reply with quote
I just found this old conversation concerning mesh.
Maybe a couple hints.
https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=1163812#1163812
dale_gribble39
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2022 20:46    Post subject: Reply with quote
Easier link:

https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=319628&start=11

Funny that nobody interjected your input into this thread, but it looks as if nobody bothered to find that build thread discussion:

kernel-panic69 wrote:
Mesh Networking 802.11s (probably the closest to being helpful)

And miles to go before I sleep." - Robert Frost

"I am one of the noticeable ones - notice me" - Dale Frances McKenzie Bozzio

<fact>code knows no gender</fact>

This is me, knowing I've ruffled your feathers, and not giving a ****
Some people are still hard-headed.

--------------------------------------
Mac Pro (Mid 2012) - Two 2.4GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon E5645 processors 64GB 1333MHz DDR3 ECC SDRAM OpenSUSE Leap 15.5
poyntzj
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2022 8:56    Post subject: Still no luck Reply with quote
Routers are now on 49418 and been running WDS with stable connections for a good few days.
I tried going to 802.11s again over the weekend and regardless of the wireless protocol (disabled, or WPA3 - any encryption type) I was not able to get the routers to talk to each other.
I am sure that 2 of them did for a brief few seconds and then stopped - but could also be my laptop switching between the AP's until I told it to forget all other networks.
mwbuss8
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2022 2:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
I just setup 6 EA8500s at my sister's house using 802.11s. Wiring would've been preferred, but it wasn't an option. The house is ~150yo with brick walls. Crawlspaces under some rooms cannot be accessed without removing floorboards. I don't know enough to write a guide, but since I got it working, I can share my experiences.

With the thick brick walls & size of the house, I opted to run the mesh on 2.4ghz. selecting any channel width other than 20mhz, changing any of the default 802.11s settings, or enabling any type of security would keep them from connecting. Unfortunately, adding a VAP also broke it. Luckily, all devices in her house support 5ghz.

It doesn't seem to work when more than 1 of the mesh routers is connected via ethernet. I experimented with some of the settings, but was unable to find anything that had a positive impact.

Her setup has some obvious limitations, being limited to 5ghz for now, but it has been running flawlessly for about 2 weeks. Speed tests show speeds matching her plan from comcast throughout her house, barn, and most of her property. More importantly, browsing/streaming experience doesn't change with location.

OpenMediaVault server for tailscale, SMB, & Emby
poyntzj
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2022 11:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
interesting, I am trying to use 5Ghz as the backbone and then 2g and a 5g vap - alas some of my devices are only 2g - even a device I got yesterday only supports 2g

When people are out and I can break to my hearts content, I'll have another go
mwbuss8
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2022 2:49    Post subject: Reply with quote
poyntzj wrote:
interesting, I am trying to use 5Ghz as the backbone and then 2g and a 5g vap - alas some of my devices are only 2g - even a device I got yesterday only supports 2g

When people are out and I can break to my hearts content, I'll have another go

I did test and have it working on 5ghz when I started experimenting. Most of my above post held true for that as well. VAP, security, and any tweaks to the 802.11s settings broke it. If I remember correctly, 40mhz width was required to get it working.

OpenMediaVault server for tailscale, SMB, & Emby
the-joker
DD-WRT Developer/Maintainer

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2022 13:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
Broadcom IDK about Netgear re: R7000, which is same hardware as the Asus RT-AC68U, Asus advertises these with Mesh AI or AI mesh or whatever trademark nonsense they applied to the proprietary an non standards compliant Broadcom crack implementation (according to @brainslayer).

So they may work together RT-AC68U <-> RT-AC68U (stock firmware side) or R7000 <-> R7000 again stock firmware side but unlikely to play nice with Atheros implementations due the Broacoms non standard implementation.

I dont see Mesh support in DD-WRT for my RT-AC68U anyway so much for gimmick implementations and closed source crap.

Atheros all the way baby.

Sorry for noise Wink

DD-WRT Inspired themes for the SVN Trac & FTP site
Join in for a chat @ #style_it_themes_public:matrix.org or #style_it_themes:discord

DD-WRT UI Themes Bug Reporting and Discussion thread

Router: ANus RT-AC68U E1 (recognized as C1)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: