IPv6 prefix delegation - how to check what is blocking it?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Grzegorz.Janoszka
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2022 16:22    Post subject: IPv6 prefix delegation - how to check what is blocking it? Reply with quote
Hi,
My provider (Ziggo in the Netherlands) finally enabled for me IPv6 prefix delegation (with the modem in bridge mode).

I have followed all threads about dd-wrt and v6 PD I could find, have tried different builds and I still have no results.

Router: Linksys E2000
Build: DD-WRT v3.0-r45955 mega (03/09/21)

My router gets IPv6 on its WAN interface, but nothing for the LAN:

ip -6 route shows among other:
2a02:a204:YY:XX:656e:8150:6ac9:fa4e dev vlan2 metric 256

There is no public route route on br0 interface.

Custom dhcp6c:

interface vlan2 {
send ia-na 0;
send ia-pd 0;
send rapid-commit;
request domain-name-servers;
script "/sbin/dhcp6c-state";
};
id-assoc pd 0 {
prefix-interface br0 {
sla-id 0;
sla-len 8;
};
};
id-assoc na 0 { };

I have the correct prefix length (/56 as the provider advises).

The command radvdump shows me RA's coming from the provider and I get three subnets together:

2a02:a204:YY:XX::/64 dev vlan2 metric 256
2a02:a204:YY:20XX::/64 dev vlan2 metric 256
2a02:a204:YY:40XX::/64 dev vlan2 metric 256

They are assigned to vlan2. Are these two last ones the additional subnets that have to be manually defined and configured on br0?

How can I check why my br0 gets no addresses? Is there a way to debug it, get some logs? Not sure where the problem is - with my router or with the provider side.

Any hints would be highly appreciated. Thank you in advance.
Sponsor
the-joker
DD-WRT Developer/Maintainer

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2022 17:43    Post subject: Reply with quote
Welcome to the forums

issue nr one, your dd-wrt build is way way WAY old. without an upgrade to latest and followed by a reset to default and reconfiguration from scratch, Im sorry to inform you, that I personally wont be able to go further.

Your build is years old and many many fixes went into dd-wrt since then. So thus unsupported.

This build below isnt the newest build but it also is a safer build for now.

http://ftp.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/downloads/betas/2022/05-30-2022-r48996/

Regards.

DD-WRT Inspired themes for the SVN Trac & FTP site
Join in for a chat @ #style_it_themes_public:matrix.org or #style_it_themes:discord

DD-WRT UI Themes Bug Reporting and Discussion thread

Router: ANus RT-AC68U E1 (recognized as C1)
Mile-Lile
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2022 18:17    Post subject: Re: IPv6 prefix delegation - how to check what is blocking i Reply with quote
Grzegorz.Janoszka wrote:

sla-len 8;

this line is problem, this is fixed in newer builds... should be

Code:
sla-len 0;

I can share you my custom dhcp6c and radvd confs

dhcp6c.conf

Code:
interface vlan2 {
 send ia-pd 0;
 send rapid-commit;
 request domain-name-servers;
 script "/sbin/dhcp6c-state";
};
id-assoc pd 0 {
 prefix-interface br0 {
  sla-id 0;
  sla-len 0;
 };
};
id-assoc na 0 { };

radvd.conf

Code:
interface br0
{
    AdvSendAdvert on;
    MinRtrAdvInterval 10;
    MaxRtrAdvInterval 30;
    AdvDefaultPreference high;
    AdvDefaultLifetime 9000;
    prefix 2a06:5b02:YYY:XXXX::/64
    {
        AdvOnLink on;
        AdvAutonomous on;
        AdvValidLifetime infinity;
        AdvRouterAddr on;
    };
    RDNSS 2a06:5b02:YYY:XXXX:2e30:33ff:fe59:xxxx {};
};

in radvd.conf you should put your prefix and for RDNSS I use my global ipv6 adress (ipv6 adress you see in upper right corner of your router)
Grzegorz.Janoszka
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2022 20:08    Post subject: Reply with quote
the-joker wrote:

issue nr one, your dd-wrt build is way way WAY old. without an upgrade to latest and followed by a reset to default and reconfiguration from scratch, Im sorry to inform you, that I personally wont be able to go further.

Your build is years old and many many fixes went into dd-wrt since then. So thus unsupported.

Hi, not sure if you read my message right - my build is just 15 months old - it is not "years" Smile

But anyway I will try to follow your advice and upgrade.

Last edited by Grzegorz.Janoszka on Fri Jun 03, 2022 21:46; edited 1 time in total
Grzegorz.Janoszka
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2022 20:17    Post subject: Re: IPv6 prefix delegation - how to check what is blocking i Reply with quote
[quote="Mile-Lile"]
Grzegorz.Janoszka wrote:

Code:
sla-len 0;

That did the trick! Thank you so much, now it is working.
Well, I can't use IPv6 yet (for whatever reason my router doesn't have a default route for v6), but now I have a v6 subnet on br0. It is /57 and I am wondering if it may cause any issues...
Grzegorz.Janoszka
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2022 20:37    Post subject: Re: IPv6 prefix delegation - how to check what is blocking i Reply with quote
Initially I had to add IPv6 default route manually, but after another reboot everything seemed to work just fine.

Thank you for a fantastic help. Hopefully other people will google this post in case of similar issues.
Mile-Lile
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2022 7:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
you are welcome... there is no need to change anything in GUI setup when using PD (prefix delegation). If you leave it as is, it will work out of the box in 99% cases. BS allways try to solve problems globally (setups must work for majority of ISPs):

Especially do NOT chane prefix lenght! You cannot demand lenght from ISP. No matter if it is /64 in the GUI you will get /48, /56 or /64 and thats something your ISP decides... Once you got working enviroment you can play with it:)

The only problem I had was with RDNSS and only with 1 old android (9.0) cell phone... I solved it with putting the relevant global address (in custom radvd) of the machine (address is in upper right corner of ddwrt gui).
the-joker
DD-WRT Developer/Maintainer

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2022 11:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
Again, upgrade... 15 months old or 15 years or 15 days are not supported dont have the latest code fixes, security patches or whatever else you want to add to that list.

On that note when you flash the latest DD-WRT build you should do a reset to factory defaults and reconfigure the router from scratch as well as clearing the browser cache CTRL+F5 on the page, to ensure the new UI loads properly.

DD-WRT Inspired themes for the SVN Trac & FTP site
Join in for a chat @ #style_it_themes_public:matrix.org or #style_it_themes:discord

DD-WRT UI Themes Bug Reporting and Discussion thread

Router: ANus RT-AC68U E1 (recognized as C1)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: