Is IPv6 Useful and Should It Be Enabled in DD-WRT

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
the-joker
DD-WRT Developer/Maintainer

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2022 22:02    Post subject: Reply with quote
PaulGo wrote:
The only computer language I used before I retired was Cobol. Linux to me is like a foreign language, and I was very bad in foreign languages.

Linux isn't a coding language, not even in any foreign country. cof Wink

DD-WRT is coded in C, I dont really code in C, but I can read most of it, code is code. There is always the internet to ask questions.

But wait youre retired but working to get network wide IPv6 setup. mmm I need to get some sleep, laters!

DD-WRT Inspired themes for the SVN Trac & FTP site
Join in for a chat @ #style_it_themes_public:matrix.org or #style_it_themes:discord

DD-WRT UI Themes Bug Reporting and Discussion thread

Router: ANus RT-AC68U E1 (recognized as C1)
Sponsor
Mile-Lile
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2022 5:08    Post subject: Reply with quote
the-joker wrote:
Thanks for the laugh. Laughing

I Taut I Taw A Puddy-Tat
Alozaros
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2022 8:11    Post subject: Reply with quote
PaulGo wrote:
For the past nine months I have been working with Comcast engineers and Netgear engineers to get IPv6 working on Comcast vCMTS systems. Netgear finally game me a test build to try on my other router, a Netgear RAX45, and they finally determined what the problem was and fixed the problem.

I would rather stay away from any stock netgear firmware...
in general i stay away of any routers stock firmwares... Embarassed
so, far...there are so many alternatives...for routers OS

I also rather stick to IPv4 as long as it's possible.... for a personal reasons...
NAT is not always that bad..but yep it ads its cons...over ipv6..
as well compare to the old architecture of ipv4, ipv6 is far away from perfect...

linux is not that hard to learn ash, bash..shell) ... but nowadays since Windows 7 is gone linux OS will become a must...
so, better start with linux now than never...so many linux alternatives to the crap Win 10/Win 11...
Since Win 10 came out i started to hate Win OS environment where you seal a hole or stop a bad services and block telemetry's and on the next update its back again...bollocks telemetry's, bloatware and tons of stupid running unnecessary services that open a holes...everywhere and sluggish software that makes your PC/laptop looks/feels always old and a need of new Hardware Updates...

To compare i ve bunch of old dual core laptops where Win 10 is no go, but linux fly's with speed of light...

p.s. edited on a PC

TP-Link WR1043NDv2 -Gargoyle OS 1.15.x AP,DNS,QoS,Quotas
Qualcomm-Atheros
Netgear XR500 --DD-WRT 55460 Gateway/DoH,Forced DNS,AP Isolation,4VLAN,Ad-Block,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R7800 --DD-WRT 55460 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,Forced DNS,AP&Net Isolation,x3VLAN,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R9000 --DD-WRT 55363 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,AP Isolation,Firewall,Forced DNS,x2VLAN,Vanilla
Broadcom
Netgear R7000 --DD-WRT 55460 Gateway/SmartDNS/DoH,AD-Block,Firewall,Forced DNS,x3VLAN,VPN
NOT USING 5Ghz ANYWHERE
------------------------------------------------------
Stubby DNS over TLS I DNSCrypt v2 by mac913

Last edited by Alozaros on Wed Jun 01, 2022 14:59; edited 1 time in total
the-joker

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2022 10:39    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have no issues with my windows 10, I neutered it, there is no telemetry period. It does only what I want it to updates or not. But I will not even goto Win 11, maybe Windows 12 will be a good version, but I dont care generally, This is what virtualization is for, I have 2 or 3 Different OS's running at same time, 1 on Host, and two different ones on VM's

Also drink some coffee Alozaros Wink I could hardly follow what you smashed on the keyboard. Its like Mr. Hyde took over from Dr. Jekyll.

Join in for a chat @ #style_it_themes_public:matrix.org or #style_it_themes:discord

dplettner
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2022 3:22    Post subject: Reply with quote
the-joker wrote:
ANd I mistakenly tripped over the exact topic of IPv6 + CTF here

Since you linked to my post about slow IPv6 with my R7000, FWIW, I recently picked up a R7800 eBay and installed "05/31/2022 - r49028," despite your warning about the potential for new bugs.

I am still getting used to the Qualcomm/Atheros options. However, I do have the Shortcut Forwarding Engine enabled, and IPv4 and IPv6 produce similar benchmark scores of around 700/24 Mbps with my Xfinity 600/20 service. After testing, I turned off IPv6 because I do not think I have any need for it.

In general, I do not see a huge difference between the R7000 and the R7800. WiFi is a bit faster, but not enough to justify the cost of the R7800. However, if IPv6 performance is important, the R7800 looks like a good option.
blkt
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2022 13:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hardware perspective, R7800 is doing a lot in software that could be accelerated or offloaded to NSS cores.

Certainly do not recommend r48996 or r49028 (build was removed), builds before and after these are fine.
dplettner
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2022 16:40    Post subject: Reply with quote
blkt wrote:
Hardware perspective, R7800 is doing a lot in software that could be accelerated or offloaded to NSS cores.

Certainly do not recommend r48996 or r49028 (build was removed), builds before and after these are fine.

My R7800 is now running r49081.

The link you provided regarding the NSS cores is interesting. The post is 4+ years old and has 2588 replies, but the last reply was only 28 days ago. Do you think that DD-WRT will ever get acceleration or offloading to the NSS cores? Perhaps the faster CPU of the R7800 vs the R7000 makes this less important.
blkt
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2022 16:54    Post subject: Reply with quote
Right it is less important, no idea about future DD-WRT, but NSS drivers thread is ongoing work in progress.
PaulGo
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2022 16:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
Another article on the usefulness of IPv6 and how it enhances security:

https://www.avast.com/c-ipv4-vs-ipv6-addresses
the-joker

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2022 17:37    Post subject: Reply with quote
Security lol, enhanced security... Sure the thing is better designed than IPv4 but lets not get carried away and believe all the snake oil being peddled on the web, OK?

Find me anything tech, software/hardware and technologies where the web runs on any layer that haven't been compromised, and Ill give you a gold nugget.

Unicorns... stop chasing them, I bet Santa comes riding a Unicorn these days.

the-joker

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2022 15:20    Post subject: Reply with quote
Here at PaulGo https://www.speedguide.net/faq/what-is-nat-acceleration-495

To again show you why CTF or CFT & FA aren't made to be compatible with IPv6. Besides its closed source crapola.

PaulGo
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2022 16:13    Post subject: Reply with quote
On the R7000P which I just recently acquired With IPv6 enabled, I found that on IPv6 speed test sites using SFE and using CTF for Flow Acceleration gave me the best results. The Flow Acceleration CTF setting substantially increased the WI-FI speed both for IPv4 and IPv6.

On my older R6300v1 SFE gave me the best results.
the-joker

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2022 16:52    Post subject: Reply with quote
IPv6 is not NAT'ed and CTF only accelerates NAT and thats not just saying it for the sake of the sky color being pink.

CTF like it or not is only WAN <-> LAN nothing else.

What you notice is a side effect of WLAN being bridged by default to the LAN is why you notice this on WiFi as a side effect of that... CTF in this case also increases bridging performance, which may explain the non standard behavior of CTF on a better performance router.

The R7000 is far superior and beefier, its the same as my RT-AC68U you cant compare it with the 6300v1 except both are routers.

Wildlion
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2022 15:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
I wanted to chime in, there is NAT for IPV6 but usually not used (and discouraged)...

https://www.iana.org/assignments/iana-ipv6-special-registry/iana-ipv6-special-registry.xhtml

fc00::/7 is Unique local [RFC4193] [RFC8190]

I actually run some NAT'ed ipv6 but not on DD-WRT since it does not support it on what I have EXCEPT for in the case of x86
PaulGo
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2022 2:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
On my semi-retired R6300v1 (overclocked to 662mhz) using SFE connected to Comcast high speed internet I can get a download speed of 415 Mbps. With CTF the download speed increases to slight;y over 700 Mbps. My top download Wi-Fi speed is slightly less than 300Mbps. With the old stock Netgear firmware, I can get about 930 Mbps wired. This only applies to IPv4. Not bad for a single core router.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 2 of 3
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: