New Build - 05/31/2022 - r49028

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
blkt
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2022 7:11    Post subject: New Build - 05/31/2022 - r49028 Reply with quote
Welcome to Atheros r49028 beta release thread for reporting, feedback to developers and community benefit.
Please do not flash builds until installation is understood, risks involved and device specific recovery methods.
Avoid discussions, create threads for questions, general problems or use search; this thread is not for support.
Please list router model & revision, operating & wireless mode(s) and exact filename/firmware image flashed.

Downloads: HTTPS, FTP

CLI Flash: 'cd /tmp' then 'wget {file URL}' (http only) or 'curl -O {file URL}' (http, https, ftp). 'write {file} linux' then 'reboot'.

Trac SVN: repository since last build r48996 (mirror)

OpenVPN 2.5.6: Changelog, Guides, Server, PBR, DNS, Kill Switch, Watchdog, Reverse PBR, Client, Multiple, tips & scripts.
WireGuard 1.0.20211208/Tools: Changelog, Guides, Client, Server, Advanced, PBR, KS, tips & scripts. Thanks to BS & egc!

Notes:
Select ath10k radios now feature on-the-fly firmware type switching between customized DD-WRT and vanilla QCA binaries!
mDNS/Avahi dnscrypt PHP mdadm Tor DoT Redirect SmartDNS FreeRADIUS htop rtw88 mt76 ath10k ath5k SNMP OpenSSL
In-kernel Samba (ksmbd 3.4.4++++): guest behavior selectable. • WSD updateANTFS/NTFS3 kernel mode driver++++
New DD-WRT inspired themes conversion by the-joker & BrainSlayer, micro builds excluded, UI theme test bug hunt thread.
Add static, delete DHCP lease from Status -> LAN clients table, Services, upgrades to forwarding in NAT / QoS tabs & more.
Let's Enhance: DTAG, Tagging, Switch Config, Dynamic WDS, Stations, Site Survey, RadioName, 802.11r and recent changes.

Issues, observations, and/or workarounds reported:
WebUI: Clear history or use a portable. Temporary cache bypass: Ctrl+F5, Cmd+Shift+R or new private window/incognito.
Please report findings with steps needed to reproduce, configuration, clients, output, logs and important information below!

Important:
Detail issues & relevant configs, logs: syslog klog 'dmesg' 'cat /tmp/var/log/messages' nvram set console_debug=1, serial.
• Firewall NAT: 'iptables -vnL' 'iptables -t nat -vnL' 'iptables -t mangle -vnL' & 'cat /tmp/.ipt'. Misc: strace tcpdump wireshark.
• Gremlins: reboot. cold boot. Reset & reconfigure not restore backup. Search Trac & discuss in forum before opening tickets.
• Include operating & wireless modes (e.g. Gateway, Router, AP, CB, WDS, Mesh) and applicable configurations to reproduce.

Example Template:
Code:
[b]Router/Version: [/b]
[b]File/Kernel: [/b]
[b]Previous/Reset: [/b]
[b]Mode/Status: [/b]
[b]Issues/Errors: [/b]
Sponsor
the-joker
DD-WRT Developer/Maintainer

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2022 10:00    Post subject: Reply with quote
Lots of qualcomm atheros changes perhaps not all targets affected, so enjoy your new bugs.
DD-WRT Inspired themes for the SVN Trac & FTP site
Join in for a chat @ #style_it_themes_public:matrix.org or #style_it_themes:discord

DD-WRT UI Themes Bug Reporting and Discussion thread

Router: ANus RT-AC68U E1 (recognized as C1)
IONK
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2022 10:25    Post subject: Reply with quote
Router/Version: Netgear XR500
File/Kernel: dd-wrt-webupgrade.bin / Linux 4.9.316 #984 SMP Tue May 31 04:10:52 +07 2022 armv7l
Previous/Reset: DD-WRT v3.0-r48996 std (05/30/22) / no
Mode/Status: AP, SFE, AP 5GHz Mixed 80MHz + AP 2.4GHz NG-Mixed 40MHz, DDNS (Dynu), ondemand CPU governor at night, USB Storage (guide by egc), lighttpd (using Entware’s php8), Cron / working
Issues/Errors: randomly reboot

Reverted to r48971

(many has told me R7800/XR500 is rock-solid but it doesn't seems to be the case for me)

DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2022 10:52    Post subject: Reply with quote
Well, untested beta images and "rock stable" are mutually exclusive.
BS builds a new public version every few days and you don't seriously think that every version is completely bug free?
That would require that all developers involved, including the developers of the external software components, are absolutely perfect and never make a mistake Smile

Besides, I have already recommended a very stable build to you and never received any feedback.
IONK
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2022 11:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
ho1Aetoo wrote:
Besides, I have already recommended a very stable build to you and never received any feedback.
thanks for the recommendation, but I don't dare to use my business environment to test the firmware anymore (my issue occurs when there are many wireless devices and I can't simulate with my few personal devices). Another point is that if I need to downgrade to the very old dd-wrt build then probably it's better to just move back to stock Netgear firmware which is still being actively maintained/developed.
the-joker

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2022 11:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
IONK wrote:
Reverted to r48971

So whats wrong with build 05-30-2022-r48996?

And again, many many changes went into Atheros drivers since r48971, so a reset just to be sure is recommended. Also read my first reply to this thread.

New code, shit happens, in order to achieve any stability with new code, code needs testing and fixing and maturing after the fact, which then becomes more stable.

But this doesn't mean normally, that just because its a new build that its unstable. And just because in the past nothing substantial changed that any given machine can be considered solid or flaky.

If router is rebooting randomly plug into serial and grab that output, that would be more helpful than some random comment, in order to see wtf is happening, please and thx.

<begin rant>
Im not having a go at anyone in particular or at anyone in general it's a rant of sorts, of real world observations, please keep that in mind whilst reading this part below or turn away now. Wink

What I see ever since I started using DD-WRT many years and years ago and not just DD-WRT many other projects and their bug reports, is that these build threads dd-wrt wise are 90% ineffective from a developer point of view, people literally only report issues according to their setup. If there are no issues according to their setup then everything surely must be fine.

This isnt testing to me of any substance it just means the build wont brick your router and may or may not work in your setup, if different, and since each person may have different setups and some setups are definitely borked, + beyond setups there are issues that IMO are critical and haven't been fixed in years as a result, so real bugs exist but no one tests anything beyond the setup working/not working.

This is terrible because it means many issues just get missed. Like e.g. https://svn.dd-wrt.com/changeset/48999 which disabled the firewall.

And to add to this, hardly anyone who has real issues provides any actionable information beyond the vague comments (its rare to see in any project any proper reports).

The truth is no one can be expected to do anything, no one is under any obligations whatsoever, to either report anything, provide any evidence or go out of their way to contribute actionable data, my above semi rant is based on experience with real world multi-project testing and reports going back 20+ years (where I even was paid for the job), in that case paid or not, no one would get away with just saying it doesn't work without providing evidence.

<end rant>

So manage expectations based on reality is all I'm saying, that said... someone once said it is better to ask for forgiveness than for permission. So if anyone took any of that personally even it the rant wasn't aimed at anyone at all, I apologize.

Smile

Your friendly neighborhood jokerman who hates spiderman, maybe. Smile

Join in for a chat @ #style_it_themes_public:matrix.org or #style_it_themes:discord

Last edited by the-joker on Tue May 31, 2022 12:06; edited 2 times in total
nyddwrtuser330
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2022 11:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
@the-joker
the 5-30 build isnt stable either. it crashed my x10 multiple times. (crash hard, no reboot, power cycle necessary)

I wasnt paying attention to my wds sta which is a 7800, but based on uptime stats, that unit did an unexpected reboot. So problems started prior to this build.
IONK
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2022 11:51    Post subject: Reply with quote
the-joker wrote:
IONK wrote:
Reverted to r48971

So whats wrong with build 05-30-2022-r48996?

https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=1263824#1263824
the-joker wrote:
And again, many many changes went into Atheros drivers since r48971, so a reset just to be sure is recommended. Also read my first reply to this thread.
noted, thanks. Maybe someone can include the note whether to reset setting, for every new build thread?
I've read your comment above, thanks for letting us laymen know (I usually don't understand shit when looking at the svn diff)

the-joker wrote:
New code, shit happens, in order to achieve any stability with new code, code needs testing and fixing and maturing after the fact, which then becomes more stable.
I understand. Somehow I had the expectation that Atheros devices are given more development effort, especially the R7800/RX500 since it's recommended by everyone everywhere, and the developer has it himself, so I thought it's not as risky to update the firmware as some random 9-year-old Broadcom device which the developers usually don't have time to test.

the-joker wrote:
If router is rebooting randomly plug into serial and grab that output, that would be more helpful than some random comment, in order to see wtf is happening.
I understand your point. However, I don't have much time playing with these routers recently. It takes some reading and tinkering (opening up, connecting to the header pins - need to solder one if it's not already there, finding some way to close the casing with the serial cable still connected, shifting some PC nearer to connect to the serial cable, letting that PC runs 24/7 to catch the log, trimming the log before submission). With the limited time I can spend, the least I can do is to partially report the issue, instead of becoming a lurker.
Thanks for reminding me that serial log is more comprehensive than syslog.

EDIT: I posted something similar to the first half of your rant somewhere here (regarding testing criteria & 'working' definition). Regarding bug reporting, I'm aware that my report is vague and below standard, and can be misleading. Should such report as mine be moved to the bin? I just want to get some understanding on the standard of these new build reports.

Last edited by IONK on Tue May 31, 2022 12:14; edited 1 time in total
the-joker

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2022 12:10    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yea, I get it, time and real life, pesky little things interfering with fun. How does real life dare?

But yea, re: log trimming, please dont. Any logs should be attached as text files and only sensitive info masked out, trimming logs removing what one thinks isn't valid or applicable should be deferred to the developer.

So trim nothing. rule of thumb.

IONK
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2022 12:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
the-joker wrote:
But yea, re: log trimming, please dont. Any logs should be attached as text files and only sensitive info masked out, trimming logs removing what one thinks isn't valid or applicable should be deferred to the developer.

thanks for the info. I usually remove some info lines from the PHP code because it's a bit sensitive to me, but I'll refrain from doing that from now on.
Making info is also a pain for laymen as me, I would appreciate if someone can share some script that can auto prune/mask the sensitive info (MAC address and other shit)

DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2022 12:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
Reporting that you have spontaneous reboots is very valuable!

Of course more information like serial logs is welcome, but at least it signals the developer he has taken a wrong turn.

Forum Guide Lines (important read):https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=324087
MLandi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2022 12:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
Update method: SSH / CLI
Router/Version: Netgear R9000 Nighthawk X10
File/Kernel: DD-WRT v3.0-r49028 std (05/31/22)
Previous/Reset: DD-WRT v3.0-r48996 std (05/30/22) / No
Mode/Status: Gateway / Working Normally
Issues/Errors: No issues

Startup messages file attached. Please let me know if this is not helpful.

Linux 4.9.337 #715 SMP Mon Mar 25 06:15:53 +07 2024 armv7l
Gateway, AP, DNSMasq, Clock 2000MHz
VAP on wlan1 for internet devices
IPv4 & IPv6 (Prefix Delegation)
Static Leases & DHCP
CloudFlare, no SFE, SmartDNS, no QoS
2.4GHz: Vanilla, Airtime Fairness, NG-Mixed, ACK Timing 3150, WPA2 w/AES & WPA3
5GHz: Vanilla, Airtime Fairness, AC/N Mixed, ACK Timing 3150, WPA2 w/AES & WPA3
2 Netgear AX1800 WiFi Mesh Extenders
Xfinity 1.2Gbps/35Mbps
LizardWizard
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2022 13:34    Post subject: Reply with quote
Router Model: Netgear R7800
Firmware: DD-WRT v3.0-r49028 std (05/31/22)
Kernel: Linux 4.9.316 #984 SMP Tue May 31 04:10:52 +07 2022 armv7l
Previous: GUI upgrade from DD-WRT v3.0-r48996 std (05/30/22)
Reset: No.
Status: Gateway / PPPoE, WAN MAC Clone, 5 GHz Mixed 80 MHz Vanilla, Port Forwarding, Static Leases, Wireless MAC Filter
Errors: None so far.
LizardWizard
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2022 13:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
IONK wrote:
many has told me R7800/XR500 is rock-solid but it doesn't seems to be the case for me
IONK wrote:
I understand. Somehow I had the expectation that Atheros devices are given more development effort, especially the R7800/RX500 since it's recommended by everyone everywhere, and the developer has it himself, so I thought it's not as risky to update the firmware as some random 9-year-old Broadcom device which the developers usually don't have time to test.

I thought R7800/XR500 was different from R7800/X4S which is the original version that most people have, including me. That might be why you and some R9000 people are having problems. Because I believe the favorite child is the original R7800/X4S.

I've been using DD-WRT since 2012. Between 2012-2016 I used a TP-Link TL-WDR4300, which was fine for the time. Then I bought a R7800 in 2016, used BS builds for a bit at the start but moved to Kong builds between 2016-2019. Then back to BS since Kong left. It's been smooth sailing ever since 2020 for me. All throughout the journey I can only remember a couple problems, and all of them were related to PPPoE, which I'm still of the opinion that they were because of my ISP and not DD-WRT, but I can't confirm or deny, because at some point DD-WRT's PPPoE implementation was acting up a bit. It's why I created my forum account very late and was a lurker, cause I rarely had problems.
the-joker

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2022 13:56    Post subject: Reply with quote
IONK wrote:
the-joker wrote:

thanks for the info. I usually remove some info lines from the PHP code because it's a bit sensitive to me, but I'll refrain from doing that from now on.
Making info is also a pain for laymen as me, I would appreciate if someone can share some script that can auto prune/mask the sensitive info (MAC address and other shit)

Masking or altering the sensitive data is OK, removing log lines that could have other kinds of information is not:
Usually users tend to only post what they think is important when either, dont know what is or not important or are purposefully hiding something they have screwed with (aside from sensitive info).

@MLandi Since you dont have issues to report, syslog has nothing useful anyway. I looked, its normal.

But yea, like egc said, its OK to say it doesnt work or what happens, but it would save the dev time to goto the issue directly (possibly if log points there could not also), instead of guessing where it maybe, when a gazzilion of routers and code lines is at stake.

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 5
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: