{SOLVED] Netgear R7000 - subnetttng issue

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
L30Z3N
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2022 22:16    Post subject: {SOLVED] Netgear R7000 - subnetttng issue Reply with quote
Hello everyone. I want to start to give you all a big thanks for this forum and for your help and support.

I want to share with you the problem that I found doing a factory reset (pressing 10 sec the small bottom) after installing this lastest builds r48810/48875/48954 and 48971.

My scenario: I'm using an R7000 in PPPoE mode.
After I setup it properly all the PPPoE data I also changed, as usual the ip LAN address from 192.168.1.1/24 to 192.168.0.1/24 and DHCP from 192.168.1.64 to 192.168.0.100.
After the first page setup was done I applyed and saved it, then I lost connection, an after a few seconds as usual, I got back the new ip address from DHCP to my Mac without any issues(if not I switch off/on ethernet cable from it). But with these latest firmwares it didn't give me any ip address back, just the ip of my Mac it didn't change at all. As usual I switched wire off/on and instead of giving me the new ip DHCP it appeared an ip assignament 169.254.252.31 and still on it not metter if I reboot the router or disconnect the ethernet cable and reconnect it back.
After that I couldn't go back to the UI anymore and I had to start over again doing a factory reset and trying to upgrade another firmware version until I found an old one (r45955 std r43xxx or even kongs versions r40xxx) that allowed me, finally, to do a fresh new setup (ip's LAN and DHCP) without any problem after the setup.

I also found that I can use the lastest firmwares (all of them) without doing any factory reset after installation. but this is my doubt and my question. Why lastest firmwares are working, only when I didn't do a factory reset on them?

If there is someone that can help me to understand what I'm doing wrong I'll be very grateful.

Thank you.

P.S:I didn't try to use the factory ip's LAN and DHCP but I'm going to... and I'll give feedback.
by the way I made a factory reset/upgrade when I was installing the lastest build r48971. After searching around on the forum, I saw that it isn't recommended. I hope that this issue have nothing to do with it. Confused

Thank you again. Wink
Sponsor
lexridge
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2022 23:59    Post subject: Reply with quote
I agree there have been some oddities with some of the latest firmwares, especially when doing a factory reset. One example, my EA8500 would never delete the vlans, even after doing several factory resets. While after a reset the Switch tab would disappear, upon manually putting the Switch URL, they were still there. That was perhaps 3-5 months ago.

I have several WRT54GL routers. I had three vlans set up on one. After doing a factory reset, I then had 16 vlans. Perhaps this is the planned results, I have no idea. I just didn't remember ever having seen this behaviour before.

Also experienced strange things with a R7800 which I was finally able to tame.

With that said, I do understand that sometimes progress involves setbacks. It seems we may be experiencing just that.

I would say if you are working well with the latest firmware without a full reset, then go with it. Don't try to fix what is apparently not broken in your case. I have discovered sometimes doing a full reset is way overrated.

Netgear R7800 (WDS-AP, WAP, VAP) - DD-WRT r53562
Features in use: multiple VLANs over single trunk port

Linksys EA8500 WDS Station x2 - DD-WRT r53562

Netgear R6400v2 WAP, VAP 2.4ghz only w/VLANs over single trunk port.

OSes: Fedora 38, 9 RPis (2,3,4,5), 20 ESP8266s: Straight from Amiga to Linux in '94, never having owned a Windows PC.

Forum member #248
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2022 3:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
Switch from DHCP to manual or disabled for your ethernet connection, apply, switch back and apply again. If anything else is a possible contributor, it would be MAC address randomization.

Is there a reason why you are switching the LAN IP of your router to 192.168.0.1?

DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
ho1Aetoo
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2022 6:10    Post subject: Reply with quote
If you change the DHCP start address from 192.168.1.64 to 192.168.0.100 in current firmware builds, then you must also change the DCHP user number, otherwise this is an incorrect DHCP configuration.

With a start address of xxx.xxx.xxx.100, 190 DHCP users are not possible.

7945645895.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  19.23 KB
 Viewed:  1332 Time(s)

7945645895.jpg

the-joker
DD-WRT Developer/Maintainer

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2022 7:11    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have said this across a few threads and Ill repeat it here again.

I have noticed that at least recent firmwares, that some services or when changing some settings, it takes more than one click of the apply button to either start the service or write the changed settings to file.

This doesnt seem to be wide spread across all settings/services, so far I was able to pin point these affected.

SNMP, TOR (when enabling them they dont tend to start at first apply settings click), dnsmasq (any changed settings via UI dont get writen to file on first apply).

Perhaps others are affected, I dont know, I cant get any feedback from anyone and personally, without any feedback, I'm unwilling to waste more of my time confirming other peoples issues, when I dont even use SNMP or TOR or whatever else.

DD-WRT Inspired themes for the SVN Trac & FTP site
Join in for a chat @ #style_it_themes_public:matrix.org or #style_it_themes:discord

DD-WRT UI Themes Bug Reporting and Discussion thread

Router: ANus RT-AC68U E1 (recognized as C1)
ho1Aetoo
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2022 7:20    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have no problems here on the R7800.
All dnsmasq settings are applied the first time I click on "apply", both in the setup and in the service tab.
and I do not use SNMP

DD-WRT v3.0-r48954

now you don't have any positive feedback, but you do have negative feedback...

is an Atheros router but the SNMP thread is also in the Marvel forum
L30Z3N
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2022 11:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
@lexridge: Yes, you're perfectly right but if is possible to use them without any factory reset and they are working properly, I will be always in doubt if they are fully working or not, or if the only things it changes is the firmware number.
Laughing

@kernel-panic69: I will give a try. I use that range because the primary router (ISP Movistar Spain) is using as a default ip address 192.168.1.1. I know that is possible leave the original default ip LAN but I alwas changed it. The ISP router is configurated on Bridge so, the ip's LAN are useless... (you're right)!

@ho1Aetoo: I wasn't know the DHCP limit, I mean I always saw it and leave it as a default. One particular thing that I can remember now is latests firmwares are starting by default with 192.168.1.64 instead 192.168.1.100 on the oldest.
I will try it. Thanks!

@the-joker I always saw after a few seconds doing apply changes are working properly, but hey my scenario is very simple just routering internet wire and wi-fi Laughing

Gentelmans thank you all for your help and support. If I find a solution I'll let you know. Very Happy

@ho1Aetoo is perfectly right as he mentioned before the wrong setting in my scenario was the Maximum DCHP users: 190!Confused So I changed it to 50 (default on the oldest firmwares, That's why) applyed on DD-WRT v3.0-r48954 and boom, it works.

The solution was very simple. I'm really sorry, it was my mistake that I didn't see it at all. Embarassed

Thank you all and specially to @ho1Aetoo for your suggestion!

Confused Wink

screenshoot.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  61.9 KB
 Viewed:  1269 Time(s)

screenshoot.jpg

the-joker

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2022 13:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
Indeed, subnetting 101

Marking as solved.

For future reference, there are subnet calculators online, even if dd-wrt should be smart enough to recalculate available usable number of the given subnets automatically.

Marking as solved and pestering Brainslayer to make this work by default, no guarantees either way, so dont count on it.

Join in for a chat @ #style_it_themes_public:matrix.org or #style_it_themes:discord

ho1Aetoo
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2022 17:28    Post subject: Reply with quote
https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=331414
the-joker

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2022 17:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
ho1Aetoo wrote:

+1111111111111111111111

L30Z3N
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2022 18:21    Post subject: Reply with quote
ho1Aetoo wrote:

WOw... many thanks.. I already did it as the 1st method and it works... now my pi's are smiling once again...

Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: