ASUS RT-AC66U goes to upload screen after loading dd-wrt

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
mskinne
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2022 20:49    Post subject: ASUS RT-AC66U goes to upload screen after loading dd-wrt Reply with quote
I have tried numerous ways to get dd-wrt onto my ASUS RT-AC66U. Everything I have tried has led to it showing as successfully uploading, but then it just boots to the screen that you get when you are in recovery mode (asks you to select firmware to upload). It always lets me load back in the ASUS firmware (9.0.0.4.382.52503) and it works fine.

Things I have tried:
    - Instructions exactly as written on the wiki page: https://wiki.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Asus_RT-AC66U (I have the A1 version FWIW)
    - Uploading the firmware through the recovery mode interface
    - Uploading the firmware using the ASUS recovery tool application.
    - Uploading the firmware using tftpd64.
    - Resetting the nvram using the WPS button.
    - Resetting the nvram using the link the recovery mode interface.
    - I have tried waiting long periods of time after several upload attempts (like 4 hours to overnight)
    - Tried using the latest version of dd-wrt (48954)
    - Tried using various versions of dd-wrt going back to 2013.
    - Uploading firmware in recovery mode.
    - Uploading firmware not in recovery mode.

I have tried just about every possible combination of the above that I can think of. I'm not sure where to go from here. Any direction would be appreciated.
Sponsor
the-joker
DD-WRT Developer/Maintainer

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 8:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
mskinne wrote:
I have tried numerous ways to get dd-wrt onto my ASUS RT-AC66U. Everything I have tried has led to it showing as successfully uploading, but then it just boots to the screen that you get when you are in recovery mode (asks you to select firmware to upload). It always lets me load back in the ASUS firmware (9.0.0.4.382.52503) and it works fine.

Have you tried actually using that recovery to upload the DD-WRT firmware?

http://ftp.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/downloads/betas/2022/05-23-2022-r48954/asus-rt-ac66u/dd-wrt-48954-Asus_RT-AC66U.trx is the latest.

Problem is Asus locked 3rd party Firmwares from being flashed when you are running anything ASUS stock that is 3 years old (perhaps older still locked) and newer, so you need to be running a really really old Asus stock that isnt locked, in order to get to DD-WRT or any 3rd party firmware.

So find the oldest stock firmware you can, flash it via recovery and then try to move on to dd-wrt.

I know for my RT-AC68U I was at FW_RT_AC68U_300438481049.zip from 2019 because newer ones were locked.

Asus claims 3rd party firmwares are poor quality, when in fact its the opposite, their firmwares are based on old kernels,libraries,componets that are filled to the brim with known security exploits.

DD-WRT Inspired themes for the SVN Trac & FTP site
Join in for a chat @ #style_it_themes_public:matrix.org or #style_it_themes:discord

DD-WRT UI Themes Bug Reporting and Discussion thread

Router: ANus RT-AC68U E1 (recognized as C1)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: