DHCP clients not listed - part 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
DeepRising
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2022 6:53    Post subject: DHCP clients not listed - part 2 Reply with quote
phillil wrote:
ian5142 wrote:
Upgrade to a newer build before complaining about a problem that may not even exist in new builds. Try something from this year at least (>35000). See the link in my signature for more info.

I'm on 35700.

After researching this for many, many hours it appears that it is unfair to point the finger at DD-WRT in any case.

The list in the WebGUI is a list of "clients" and NOT and list of "connected devices" (big difference)

The router will only know if a client is active if it is accessing the internet or wireless. It will also remember that it may have issued an IP via DHCP, but it has no clue what TV's, printers, laptops etc. are currently connected. Those devices may indeed be talking to each other, but if they are doing so via a separate switch, then the router will not get involved.

For a router to know exactly whats currently connected to the network, it will have to continually ping the range of IP addresses so see who awake, but even then some devices may not bother to respond.

So if someone wants to know information about a LAN, then it is probably best to use a utility run from a PC

Router ModelTP-Link ARCHER-C7 v5
Firmware VersionDD-WRT v3.0-r48897 std (05/18/22)
Kernel VersionLinux 3.18.140-d6 #142804 Wed May 18 18:00:32 +07 2022 mips

I used a PC software (Angry IP Scanner) without better results, no chances to listen the devices not in the router list.

Moderator edit: original thread at https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=311426 for reference
Sponsor
DeepRising
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2022 6:57    Post subject: Re: Upgrade Reply with quote
J-Pro wrote:
phillil wrote:
After researching this for many, many hours it appears that it is unfair to point the finger at DD-WRT in any case.

The list in the WebGUI is a list of "clients" and NOT and list of "connected devices" (big difference)

Well, there are two client lists on this page (Status -> LAN): Active clients and DHCP clients. The latter should be the list of clients that received IP address, it even has client lease expiration column.

I'm using v3.0-r40559 big, but seeing the same issue. My Yamaha receiver is connected through the wire, replies to pings, displays its IP, but is not displayed in Status -> LAN -> DHCP clients for some reason. All other 9 clients are displayed. Is it a bug or me missing something?

Router ModelTP-Link ARCHER-C7 v5
Firmware VersionDD-WRT v3.0-r48897 std (05/18/22)
Kernel VersionLinux 3.18.140-d6 #142804 Wed May 18 18:00:32 +07 2022 mips

I read several posts without find a solution, with the OEM firmware I was able to see several devices that now are not in the list. And also if I ping all addresses I can't identify all of them. Do you have find a solutions? Thanks
the-joker
DD-WRT Developer/Maintainer

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2022 10:24    Post subject: Reply with quote
Depends on your static IP setup and if the machines that dont show up request a new IP from DHCP or not.

If the machines have immortal static leases and the machines are on 24/7 then they will never show up on DHCP after e.g. the router is rebooted.

But that doesn't mean they aren't accessible. If you have assigned static IP's and have the correct settings, then it should work, all machines should still be accessible.

Perhaps its time you posted screenshots of your setup, so we can determine if its correctly done.

Also the thread you necroposted, was for a really old build of DD-WRT, which these days, has changed greatly and is beyond comparing in all respects.

So I took the liberty of splitting posts and referring to old thread to keep things in perspective.

DD-WRT Inspired themes for the SVN Trac & FTP site
Join in for a chat @ #style_it_themes_public:matrix.org or #style_it_themes:discord

DD-WRT UI Themes Bug Reporting and Discussion thread

Router: ANus RT-AC68U E1 (recognized as C1)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: