[SOLVED] Netgear R7000 / R6400v2 - 5GHz VAP doesn't connect

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2
odhiambo
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2022 10:02    Post subject: Reply with quote
odhiambo wrote:
I started with the R6400v2 from factory to dd-wrt and then the netgear-r6400v2-webflash. I have like mastered the process.

I flashed the factory-to-ddwrt and webflash one after the other and they were the same version.
As regards the nvram, I have used the option of pressing the reset button.
I am going to attempt all the others and configure from zero and see.
Sponsor
the-joker
DD-WRT Developer/Maintainer

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2022 10:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
odhiambo wrote:
I started with the R6400v2 from factory to dd-wrt and then the netgear-r6400v2-webflash. I have like mastered the process.

odhiambo wrote:
I flashed the factory-to-ddwrt and webflash one after the other and they were the same version.

Well, newsflash, sorry to inform this is double tapping and the wrong procedure to go from stock to dd-wrt, so your self proclaimed mastery of the process is faulty.

The factory-to-dd-wrt is only used to go from stock to dd-wrt initial version whatever that is. Ready to use after the fact, no further steps needed assuming this factory to dd-wrt was the latest version available at that time.

At a later date only.

The webflash/webupgrade should be used ONLY after the fact and not in succession, to upgrade an older dd-wrt version to a newer dd-wrt version.

So... master level removed.

IDK where you received the information for the flash process from stock to dd-wrt, but wherever it was, and whoever advised you to do this was wrong.

DD-WRT Inspired themes for the SVN Trac & FTP site
Join in for a chat @ #style_it_themes_public:matrix.org or #style_it_themes:discord

DD-WRT UI Themes Bug Reporting and Discussion thread

Router: ANus RT-AC68U E1 (recognized as C1)
odhiambo
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2022 11:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
the-joker wrote:
odhiambo wrote:

odhiambo wrote:

Well, newsflash, sorry to inform this is double tapping and the wrong procedure to go from stock to dd-wrt, so your self proclaimed mastery of the process is faulty.

The factory-to-dd-wrt is only used to go from stock to dd-wrt initial version whatever that is. Ready to use after the fact, no further steps needed assuming this factory to dd-wrt was the latest version available at that time.

At a later date only.

The webflash/webupgrade should be used ONLY after the fact and not in succession, to upgrade an older dd-wrt version to a newer dd-wrt version.

So... master level removed.

IDK where you received the information for the flash process from stock to dd-wrt, but wherever it was, and whoever advised you to do this was wrong.

That is very well noted now.
However, what's the negative of doing the webflash?
the-joker

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2022 12:22    Post subject: Reply with quote
Technically there should be no negative aspects under normal conditions aside the obvious unnecessary writes to the flash. However not everything is performed under the ideal conditions using a solid process and weirdness can ensue.

Would be acceptable for instance, if you could only use some really old factory-to-wrt image because newer ones wouldn't work for some reason and then when process is concluded would do a web upgrade using the webupgrade/webflash image to the very latest build followed by a nvram reset.

Essentially avoid Murphys Law.

See attachment.

gremlin_before_and_after.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  25.94 KB
 Viewed:  963 Time(s)

gremlin_before_and_after.jpg

Join in for a chat @ #style_it_themes_public:matrix.org or #style_it_themes:discord

odhiambo
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 9:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
the-joker wrote:
Technically there should be no negative aspects under normal conditions aside the obvious unnecessary writes to the flash. However not everything is performed under the ideal conditions using a solid process and weirdness can ensue.

So, I used the "reset to default settings" within the GUI->Administration->Firmware Upgrade while flushing the latest version (48954) and did configuration from scratch and now everything works as expected!
Actually, that reset did clear the nvram!

So this is RESOLVED.
the-joker

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 10:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
You see.... I'm glad its resolved. marking as such.

foz111
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2022 11:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
Please confirm, you got the 5.0Ghz VAP working (bridged eg. br1) with wireless security enabled on (48954)?
Thanks
odhiambo wrote:
So, I used the "reset to default settings" within the GUI->Administration->Firmware Upgrade while flushing the latest version (48954) and did configuration from scratch and now everything works as expected!
Actually, that reset did clear the nvram!

So this is RESOLVED.

Network IPV4 - Isolated Vlan's with IoT Devices. Unifi AC-Pro x 3 AP's, Router Wi-Fi Disabled. OVPN Server With Paid Commercial Wireguard Client's. Gateway Mode, DNSMasq, Static Leases & DHCP, Pi-Hole DNS & Running Unbound.

No one can build you the bridge on which you, and only you, must cross the river of life!
Goto page Previous  1, 2 Display posts from previous:    Page 2 of 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: