[SOLVED] Netgear R7000 / R6400v2 - 5GHz VAP doesn't connect

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page 1, 2  Next
odhiambo
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2022 14:37    Post subject: [SOLVED] Netgear R7000 / R6400v2 - 5GHz VAP doesn't connect Reply with quote
Hello friends,

I bought Netgear R7000 and R6400v2 off someone and installed dd-wrt - Firmware: DD-WRT v3.0-r48897 std (05/18/22)
I have been struggling with these two routers for over 24hrs just to get virtual APs working.
I have concluded that a VAP on the 5GHz band (wl1) just does not work at all for some reason.
I have the following APs:
2.4GHz (wl0) - working
R7-2.4GHz (wl0.1) - working
5GHz (wl1) - working
R7-5GHz (wl1.1) - not working!

I have created br1 and added wl0.1 and wl1.1 to it and I am using PBR on the router to route wl0 and wl1 via VPN while wl0.1 and wl1.1 are routed via the WAN.

The problem is that my devices cannot connect to the AP on wl1.1 and every attempt to solve this has failed.

There is not much that I have changed on wl1 apart from the channel and channel width.

I have attached screenshots of the basic and advanced configs for wl1. Maybe someone can spot my mistake.

Please SOS Smile

r7000-wl1-adv-config.png
 Description:
wl1 advanced settings
 Filesize:  97.8 KB
 Viewed:  3197 Time(s)

r7000-wl1-adv-config.png

r7000-wl1-config.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  82.86 KB
 Viewed:  3197 Time(s)

r7000-wl1-config.png

Sponsor
the-joker
DD-WRT Developer/Maintainer

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2022 15:07    Post subject: Reply with quote
The only thing I can advise is a nvram reset and reconfigure from scratch, because the current builds have changed greatly from older builds.

I can tell you my VAps work fine though on my Broadcom device RT-AC68U.

The VAP's issue has been solved a while back so a nvram reset and reconfiguration from scratch should oust any lingering gremlins.

DD-WRT Inspired themes for the SVN Trac & FTP site
Join in for a chat @ #style_it_themes_public:matrix.org or #style_it_themes:discord

DD-WRT UI Themes Bug Reporting and Discussion thread

Router: ANus RT-AC68U E1 (recognized as C1)
odhiambo
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2022 15:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
the-joker wrote:
The only thing I can advise is a nvram reset and reconfigure from scratch, because the current builds have changed greatly from older builds.

I can tell you my VAps work fine though on my Broadcom device RT-AC68U.

The VAP's issue has been solved a while back so a nvram reset and reconfiguration from scratch should oust any lingering gremlins.

Is an nvram reset different than holding the reset button till the router reverts to default config?
the-joker

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2022 18:20    Post subject: Reply with quote
Not really, both should have desired effect. However dont restore a previous backup, instead reconfigure from scratch.

Should work TM.

Join in for a chat @ #style_it_themes_public:matrix.org or #style_it_themes:discord

odhiambo
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2022 8:10    Post subject: Reply with quote
the-joker wrote:
Not really, both should have desired effect. However dont restore a previous backup, instead reconfigure from scratch.

Should work TM.

When you say "both should have the desired effect", what do you mean by "both"?

So I decided to revert the R7000 to the Factory firmware and forget about it. Now I only want to use dd-wrt on the R6400v2.

The R6400v2 had vanilla Netgear firmware before I flashed dd-wrt.
Upon your suggestion, I have done two things to erase the nvram:
1. command = erase nvram
2. reset button
I have configured from zero all the way to creating my VAPs and bridges and assigning all the interfaces to the bridges as desired.
Everything works EXCEPT I still cannot connect to the 5GHz VAP.

Is there a way tp diagnose the cause, perhaps by doing some elevated logging and looking at some logfile?

TIA
the-joker

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2022 8:51    Post subject: Reply with quote
You asked if the reset button did the same as the command, and I replied both have the same effect. If somehow you understood that you must use both, then no, thats not what I meant. Rolling Eyes

You could use both reset methods if you really wanted to but it wouldn't be necessary. In fact there are 3 ways of resetting a router, 1 via UI, 1 via terminal and 1 reset button (if devices have such), all of them reset the router to defaults the same way.

As for your decision to revert to factory FW on one router, doesn't change anything assuming the other router also suffered from the same issue, and in that respect I dont have different advice.

foz111
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2022 16:58    Post subject: Reply with quote
Try setting wireless security to disabled on 5.0Ghz VAP Apply reboot and retest, see if devices connect.
Use VAP unbridged and it will work fine, please see the below thread
https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=331793&highlight=

Network IPV4 - Isolated Vlan's with IoT Devices. Unifi AC-Pro x 3 AP's, Router Wi-Fi Disabled. OVPN Server With Paid Commercial Wireguard Client's. Gateway Mode, DNSMasq, Static Leases & DHCP, Pi-Hole DNS & Running Unbound.

No one can build you the bridge on which you, and only you, must cross the river of life!
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2022 17:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
The problem is likely bad configuration on the main AP interface, which bleeds over into the VAP. Security on VAPs works just fine, bridged or unbridged AFAIK.
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
foz111
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2022 17:21    Post subject: Reply with quote
Not very often i disagree with you KP but there is an issue with 5.0Ghz VAP if assigned to a bridge (eg. br1) on R7000 regardless to how you configure it!
The 5.0Ghz VAP works bridged if the wireless security is disabled, devices can connect just fine or if the VAP is unbridged with wireless security enabled, again works fine, from my testing anyway, but i have to say not tested on current latest build.

Network IPV4 - Isolated Vlan's with IoT Devices. Unifi AC-Pro x 3 AP's, Router Wi-Fi Disabled. OVPN Server With Paid Commercial Wireguard Client's. Gateway Mode, DNSMasq, Static Leases & DHCP, Pi-Hole DNS & Running Unbound.

No one can build you the bridge on which you, and only you, must cross the river of life!
odhiambo
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2022 18:59    Post subject: Reply with quote
foz111 wrote:
Not very often i disagree with you KP but there is an issue with 5.0Ghz VAP if assigned to a bridge (eg. br1) on R7000 regardless to how you configure it!
The 5.0Ghz VAP works bridged if the wireless security is disabled, devices can connect just fine or if the VAP is unbridged with wireless security enabled, again works fine, from my testing anyway, but I have to say not tested on current latest build.

You are 100% right! I have disabled security on wl1.1 (5Ghz VAP) and I am able to connect!!
So, how do I submit a bug to the developer? This is R6400v2.
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2022 19:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
If your testing is not on post-VAP authentication and other VAP fixes in more recent builds (47822 and newer), and especially on the current release with a fresh nvram wipe, configured in proper order for bridged interface, then your disagreement is slightly moot. There is at least one thread that gives the proper step-by-step if it's not linked in a wiki.

Quote:
VAPs not working at boot are fixed, both unbridged (r40634) and bridged (r47822). Please test, remove startup commands.

If we open another @#$%^&*! ticket on this, we better have serial output of what happens with authentication enabled and screenshots of configs and exact steps to reproduce. I have this working just fine on Netgear Broadcom ARM devices on current release.

DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
the-joker

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2022 19:25    Post subject: Reply with quote
odhiambo wrote:

There is no bug to report, it's been fixed already, either reset your nvram and reconfigure from scratch or don't, but be assured that it works fine both bridged and unbridged VAPs.

I have a Broadcom just like you and despite the radios being different the code for the vaps is the same. Like I said, I use unbridged VAP atm but just did a bridged setup to test and both work.

My wifi passwords are also insanely huge. I have wpa2/psk with CCMP-128 (AES) on all AP's and VAPs with the wifi settings as per this thread https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=327595

odhiambo
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2022 19:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
the-joker wrote:
odhiambo wrote:

There is no bug to report, it's been fixed already, either reset your nvram and reconfigure from scratch or don't, but be assured that it works fine both bridged and unbridged VAPs.

I have a Broadcom just like you and despite the radios being different the code for the vaps is the same. Like I said, I use unbridged VAP atm but just did a bridged setup to test and both work.

My wifi passwords are also insanely huge. I have wpa2/psk with CCMP-128 (AES) on all AP's and VAPs with the wifi settings as per this thread https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=327595

I started with the R6400v2 from factory to dd-wrt and then the netgear-r6400v2-webflash. I have done the nvram reset and configured from zero. I have like mastered the process.

What is the right procedure to reset the nvram then??
the-joker

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2022 20:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
odhiambo wrote:
I started with the R6400v2 from factory to dd-wrt and then the netgear-r6400v2-webflash. I have like mastered the process.

Was that factory-to-ddwrt and webflash one after the other and the same version? or was it, factory-to-dd-wrt one older dd-wrt version and then upgraded to a newer dd-wrt version using the webflash?

To nvram reset, you have 4 methods

1) At any time; Open a terminal and type nvram reset && reboot

2) When upgrading firmware via interface; On the Firmware Upgrade tab under After flashing, reset to you select from dropdown -> Reset to default settings, select the upgrade firmware file below and click upgrade.

3) At any time; On the Factory Defaults tab you select Restore Factory Defaults and click the YES radio input and click the Apply Settings button.

4) Pressing the reset button on the router if present until the power led flashes or something like that.

Pick your poison, they technically all do technically the same which is trigger the reset_gpio, or at least in theory they do.

foz111
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2022 9:10    Post subject: Reply with quote
Tested myself last on Firmware: DD-WRT v3.0-r48646 std (04/12/22) so way past the supposed fix date.
i was asked to configure 2 x separate end point wireguard VPN's on 2 x 5.0Ghz VAP's 1 for each end point location for a friend on his r7000, this is when i discovered the issue and posted my findings in earlier thread.
5.0Ghz radio works when wireless security is disabled and 2.4Ghz works fine, this problem has been posted a few times by different users yet it gets swept under the carpet as wrong configuration.
if i had time i would indeed connect serial and grab logs but currently i dont have time. (i don't use Broadcom myself so does not affect me although i posted to help community) I would never argue with you KP as your knowledge is far superior to mine but i can only state my findings to try and help build a better DD-WRT.
kernel-panic69 wrote:
If your testing is not on post-VAP authentication and other VAP fixes in more recent builds (47822 and newer), and especially on the current release with a fresh nvram wipe, configured in proper order for bridged interface, then your disagreement is slightly moot. There is at least one thread that gives the proper step-by-step if it's not linked in a wiki.

Quote:
VAPs not working at boot are fixed, both unbridged (r40634) and bridged (r47822). Please test, remove startup commands.

If we open another @#$%^&*! ticket on this, we better have serial output of what happens with authentication enabled and screenshots of configs and exact steps to reproduce. I have this working just fine on Netgear Broadcom ARM devices on current release.

Goto page 1, 2  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: