Netgear R6400 not pushing Gigabit wifi

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
graelb
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 22:48    Post subject: Netgear R6400 not pushing Gigabit wifi Reply with quote
Hi!

I just upgraded to fiber, and am running dd-wrt on a netgear r6400. I'm not entirely sure why, but my wifi speeds seem capped right around 300 +-50 Mbps, when I should (in theory) be able to get 1Gbps. I've tested the speed right at the modem, before the router, and I can hit 970 or so, so I'm not entirely sure what's going on.

My 5G wifi band is set to:
Network mode: AC/N-Mixed
Channel: AUto
Channel Width: VHT80
Extension Channel: lower lower

It's set to a bridged network config as well.

I have Shortcut forwarding engine turned on at the moment, but that didn't seem to make a big difference.

My device speed varies a bit depending on which device I'm using, but using a different router I was able to break 500mbps on the same devices, so I'm pretty confident the issue is somewhere in the settings on the r6400, or the capability on it.

Any thoughts?
Sponsor
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 22:56    Post subject: Reply with quote
Don't use autochannel. Try using CTF vs. SFE. If CTF+FA is available, try that. Keep in mind you will likely have to reboot twice to use CTF+FA.

If you have a v1, it's BCM4708A0 @ 800MHz; v2 is a BCM4708C0 at 1GHz

https://wikidevi.wi-cat.ru/Netgear_R6400_v1

https://wikidevi.wi-cat.ru/Netgear_R6400_v2

DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
graelb
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 23:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
Holy fast helpful response batman.

I was just jumping into optimizing the channels when you replied, so I'm on that.

I'm not seeing a CTF option under setup anywhere, but I'm also running dd-wrt v3.0-r33675M. So it could be an old-version thing.

I'm fairly confident it's a V1 R6400. I'd see a v2 on the actual device label, right?

Thank you for your input!
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 23:31    Post subject: Reply with quote
Upgrade to DD-WRT Official current release, please. We do not support older builds much nor do we continue to support <Kong> builds. Please ensure which version of your router you have before picking from below; keep in mind you will absolutely *have* to do an nvram erase && reboot as well as reconfigure from scratch after flashing as there have been way too many changes to nvram variables as well as addition of swconfig support and you will most likely run into issues if you do not do a hard reset. If you're unwilling to upgrade, we cannot help you very much.

https://download1.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/downloads/betas/2022/05-18-2022-r48897/netgear-r6400/

https://download1.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/downloads/betas/2022/05-18-2022-r48897/netgear-r6400v2/

https://download1.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/downloads/betas/2022/

----------------------
graelb
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 23:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
100% willing to update, no big issues there. I'll have to reconfigure my network devices, but that's probably the worst of it.

is the nvram erase as simple as *reset to factory settings* in the GUI? or is that something I need to do in a different manner?

My current plan for this was to reset to factory settings, and then flash the most recent firmware using the GUI. If that will likely (or somewhat likely) result in a brick, I'm willing to do it the 'hard way', but I'm not sure where to start there.
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 23:39    Post subject: Reply with quote
Regarding v1 vs. v2, this is the info for v1:

FCC ID: PY315100300
PCB ID: U12H332T00

And for v2:

FCC ID: PY316200342
PCB ID: U12H332T30

The FCCID should be on the label, and yes, it should say v2 on the v2, if memory serves. Reset via webUI prior to and after flashing should be fine, but if you run into gremlins, you will need to access via telnet / ssh (PuTTY or Terminal) and issue an nvram erase && reboot.

----------------------
graelb
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 23:52    Post subject: Reply with quote
Got it. I'll do that this weekend and circle back after trying with a fresh install.

Thank you again for your help!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: