[SOLVED] TP-Link Archer A7 - DHCP Server Enabled - Stopped

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
raincity
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 19:03    Post subject: [SOLVED] TP-Link Archer A7 - DHCP Server Enabled - Stopped Reply with quote
DD-WRT v3.0-r48865 std (05/13/22)

New Archer A7 - First time loading it, but run DD-WRT successfully on two other routers and have used the firmware for years. Trying to replace a TP-Link TL-WDR3600 v1 with the Archer A7 V5 and the configuration is almost identical.

After even minimal configuration the DHCP server on the Archer stops. One time just changing the GUI style to "Brainslayer" killed it.

I reset and slowly configured the Archer with the settings of the old router and restarted each time. I was eventually able to get the router to function normally until it was unplugged for a few days. Plugged in at the new location the DHCP server again stops with no changes to the config.

There's mention of this problem in other posts with the host names configured under the Services tab being listed as the problem.

After searching the forum I stripped any special characters from the static IP assignments, then removed capital letters and shortened the host names to 8 or less characters. There are no spaces in the name fields.

There no special configuration of the DNSMasq, and I've experimented with changing other settings (like DHCP-authoritative) with no success.

Anyone have any ideas on how to resolve this one?
Sponsor
gin-n-tonic
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 19:46    Post subject: Reply with quote
Strange, intermittent, non-repeatable crashes? Check the power supply - swap the brick for another.
raincity
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 20:08    Post subject: Reply with quote
gin-n-tonic wrote:
Strange, intermittent, non-repeatable crashes? Check the power supply - swap the brick for another.

None of the above. The ONLY thing that happens is the DHCP server stops. Once it stops I have to hard reset to get it going again. The rest of the router is rock stable.

There is no indication of anything else going on and once I set a static address on the attached PC I can get in and change the configuration with no issues, but nothing I do will get the DHCP server to start again except that hard reset.
the-joker
DD-WRT Developer/Maintainer

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 20:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
First, you need to upgrade to current build http://ftp.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/downloads/betas/2022/05-18-2022-r48897/ then nvram reset && nvram commit && reboot.

Then reconfigure from scratch.

Quite a few changes between that build and current, so nothing else will work reliably and only current builds are supported.

Regarding themes, dont use brainslayer, kromo or vikar, Ive fixed them but they are broken beyond maintenance.

Or use them, just no reports are accepted about things being broken, no more fixes will go into them.

Only themes supported are the blue, elegant, green, yellow etc and inspired themes, perhaps even xirian which I also have fixed, but that one has known issues that I dont have time to waste on atm.

DD-WRT Inspired themes for the SVN Trac & FTP site
Join in for a chat @ #style_it_themes_public:matrix.org or #style_it_themes:discord

DD-WRT UI Themes Bug Reporting and Discussion thread

Router: ANus RT-AC68U E1 (recognized as C1)
raincity
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 23:58    Post subject: Reply with quote
the-joker wrote:
First, you need to upgrade to current build http://ftp.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/downloads/betas/2022/05-18-2022-r48897/ then nvram reset && nvram commit && reboot.

Then reconfigure from scratch.

Quite a few changes between that build and current, so nothing else will work reliably and only current builds are supported.

Regarding themes, dont use brainslayer, kromo or vikar, Ive fixed them but they are broken beyond maintenance.

Or use them, just no reports are accepted about things being broken, no more fixes will go into them.

Only themes supported are the blue, elegant, green, yellow etc and inspired themes, perhaps even xirian which I also have fixed, but that one has known issues that I dont have time to waste on atm.

The theme was just an example for how changing almost anything seems to stop the DHCP server. I'm currently using the default theme and have been for the last few full resets, but your info on what it needs to be set for is appreciated.

Loaded the latest firmware earlier today. After I received your message did a hard reset, then nvram reset && nvram commit, then rebooted.

Then followed these steps:

Turned wifi off for both frequencies
Changed the IP address to 10.10.0.1/24

At this point the DHCP server is still running.

When the DHCP start address is changed,

DHCP start address: 10.10.0.100

The server stops.

From Status page:
DHCP Server Enabled - Stopped

I've tried this 3 times, it happens every time and nothing will start the server again except a hard reset.

Glad to try anything else you suggest.
raincity
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2022 0:20    Post subject: Reply with quote
Found the problem:

I had too many DHCP users selected. My old router was set for 70 (and it has been in use for so long I don't remember changing it, but I'm sure I did), the new one had a default that was too high when I set the start address as 100, but was fine for the start address of 64.

Thanks much for your help, especially your direction at good GUI settings.
the-joker
DD-WRT Developer/Maintainer

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2022 12:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
Ah well, you hit the limit in available usable IP range, you cant bend the rules.

I always set the start IP, that is the router IP at xxx.xxx.xxx.1 and first available and usable xxx.xxx.xxx.2 and so on until I have enough static IP's for all the required machines both wired and wireless. I also avoid assigning static IP's for any broadcast addresses in range, just so things work smoothly.

There are plenty of subnet calculators out there, if you dont know off the top of your head which IP's are broadcast addresses or not, depending on your assignments and masks.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Broadcast_address

Also marked the thread as solved.

Thanks for letting us know it was a setup ding dong, as opposed of something serious.

DD-WRT Inspired themes for the SVN Trac & FTP site
Join in for a chat @ #style_it_themes_public:matrix.org or #style_it_themes:discord

DD-WRT UI Themes Bug Reporting and Discussion thread

Router: ANus RT-AC68U E1 (recognized as C1)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: