New Build - 05/18/2022 - r48897

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2
hurleyp
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2022 18:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
the-joker wrote:
hurleyp wrote:
Updated via webif. No 'nvram erase' this time, last one was in July 2018 (r36325).

Well you are in the 1% everyone else would have been pulling hairs out with the gremlins banging on the door Wink Honestly no idea how that's even possible considering the insane amount of nvram changes and general firmware changes since r36325 which build doesn't exist on servers.

That aside 4 years must be some kind of record.

That said, you are clearly on the verge https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=1258611#1258611 knock on wood.

Well, I never planned to set any records Smile I thought it's an interesting data point that resetting nvram isn't something I've had to do. This little Netgear R7000 / DD-WRT is a workhorse. I keep it on a UPS so, generally, it receives steady power. Having said that, it's high time I did a reset to at least clear out any wayward bits. Wink

ludovic
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2022 8:29    Post subject: Reply with quote
Didn't know it was recommended to do an nvram erase regularly, thought that was only needed if you run into issues.

Just to add to the data set: I've been running dd-wrt on my R7000 since 2016 (Kong builds, moved to BS builds after Kong stopped) and don't think I've ever done an nvram erase.

I suppose I should backup the config before doing an nvram erase, and re-import the config afterwards? Nothing else to worry about?
the-joker
DD-WRT Developer/Maintainer

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2022 9:12    Post subject: Reply with quote
hurleyp wrote:
Well, I never planned to set any records Smile I thought it's an interesting data point that resetting nvram isn't something I've had to do. This little Netgear R7000 / DD-WRT is a workhorse. I keep it on a UPS so, generally, it receives steady power. Having said that, it's high time I did a reset to at least clear out any wayward bits. Wink

I appreciate the data and I would let it ride until you actually have no other option because of some issue that wont go away.

While a single device's data on non resets from really old builds vs incremental fw upgrades to newer builds, isn't sufficient to build any representative long term analyses of the possible gremlin states. It is still interesting in any case.

A proper experiment we would need to test groups of different routers per brand/model to have usable data on the other end after at least 100 consecutive flashes or staggered builds until reaching the very latest build and tests to confirm the given test setups work. The test setups would need to differ also, from basic to advanced setups.

But this is academic. who cares anyway of the long term lack of resets effects of operational condition of a home router. Bigger issues in the world and none cares about them either.

/tumbleweeds

DD-WRT Inspired themes for the SVN Trac & FTP site
Join in for a chat @ #style_it_themes_public:matrix.org or #style_it_themes:discord

DD-WRT UI Themes Bug Reporting and Discussion thread

Router: ANus RT-AC68U E1 (recognized as C1)
bushant
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2022 12:31    Post subject: Reply with quote
ludovic wrote:
I suppose I should backup the config before doing an nvram erase, and re-import the config afterwards?

That would be like draining the oil from your automobile then putting that dirty oil back in.

Manual configuration only for a proper nvram reset.
Never use a bakup from a different build.

Before asking for help - Read the forum guidelines AND Upgrade DD-WRT!
Adblock by eibgrad (1.1M blocked) + Blocklist Collection

the-joker
DD-WRT Developer/Maintainer

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2022 8:11    Post subject: Reply with quote
ludovic wrote:
I suppose I should backup the config before doing an nvram erase, and re-import the config afterwards?

If you want a human readable config backup for later consultation do this via terminal

nvram show > /tmp/my-backup-whatever-build-date.txt then grab that file to your desktop or wherever you prefer.

Ive added this tip to the routers built in help file and is available on the latest dd-wrt public builds in the backup section of the router under more...

But restoring an old config to a new build, is generally not advisable, even though the process should in theory not restore incompatible settings, there is a risk of gremlins getting you, while re-configuring from scratch after upgrade and nvram reset, will ensure 100% clean state.

At the time of writing this there is already a newer build - r48954 with a ton of help file fixes and other firmware fixes and updates.

DD-WRT Inspired themes for the SVN Trac & FTP site
Join in for a chat @ #style_it_themes_public:matrix.org or #style_it_themes:discord

DD-WRT UI Themes Bug Reporting and Discussion thread

Router: ANus RT-AC68U E1 (recognized as C1)
ludovic
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2022 10:25    Post subject: Reply with quote
bushant wrote:
That would be like draining the oil from your automobile then putting that dirty oil back in.

That's a very clear analogy Laughing Thanks!

Last edited by ludovic on Tue May 24, 2022 10:27; edited 1 time in total
ludovic
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2022 10:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
the-joker wrote:
If you want a human readable config backup for later consultation do this via terminal

nvram show > /tmp/my-backup-whatever-build-date.txt then grab that file to your desktop or wherever you prefer.

Ive added this tip to the routers built in help file and is available on the latest dd-wrt public builds in the backup section of the router under more...

But restoring an old config to a new build, is generally not advisable, even though the process should in theory not restore incompatible settings, there is a risk of gremlins getting you, while re-configuring from scratch after upgrade and nvram reset, will ensure 100% clean state.

At the time of writing this there is already a newer build - r48954 with a ton of help file fixes and other firmware fixes and updates.

OK, thanks a lot!

Would be nice if there was a way to see only the settings that were user-modified (like how Firefox does it nowadays with about:config), but that's not a small feature to implement.
Goto page Previous  1, 2 Display posts from previous:    Page 2 of 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: