xr700 crash on wifi tab loading

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2
the-joker
DD-WRT Developer/Maintainer

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 7:25    Post subject: Reply with quote
DWCruiser wrote:
Having said that i think Netgear engineers are very good at what they do.

Except where using modern kernels, libs and other firmware components to ensure CVE's are patched in a timely manner across these areas, and of course cease and desist kafkaesq practices like planned obsolesce.

Of course not limited to Netgear, indeed <insert your fav brand here>.

Also of note using modern hardware components and embracing opensource fully inclusive of said components source code.

Regrading reboot() including nvram commit, there is a file in my router /etc/profile looking at reboot.c and reboot.h outside of this its not obvious at all.

I tend to agree that nvram commit is needed after nvram erase, currently on some platforms and wont hurt anything on any platforms.

Your friendly neighborhood devils advocate -- Joker

DD-WRT Inspired themes for the SVN Trac & FTP site
Join in for a chat @ #style_it_themes_public:matrix.org or #style_it_themes:discord

DD-WRT UI Themes Bug Reporting and Discussion thread

Router: ANus RT-AC68U E1 (recognized as C1)
Sponsor
DWCruiser
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 21:49    Post subject: Reply with quote
the-joker wrote:

Your friendly neighborhood devils advocate -- Joker

Greetings,

My earlier comment re 'Netgear engineers are very good at what they do' lacks a clarification: Hardware-wise. Sorry.

If Netgear's stock firmware was really excellent, there may not be enough reasons for me to have ditched it for DDWRT. So, it may be cool not to criticize too much those that pass you the opportunities to shine over their weak points. Cool (In the similar vein, although i use MikroTik gears in my line of work, i have not seen the need for alternative 3rd party's firmware on them).

The landscape is changing though. Netgear's adoption of DUMA OS on its selected range of XR-xxx routers, aimed squarely at gamers, is a recognition that DUMA OS is a better enticement for them to buy. After all, gamers want to win in their reality-escaping universe, rather than gaining knowledge about QoS. Let alone other aspects of routing and networking.

Good day.

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2022 9:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
It doesn't matter what manufacturer it is or what they call their OS, as long as they use ancient EOL kernels and outdated libraries and other software components as well as old hardware which is optimized firmware side to deliver that extra performance, its all bullshit.

Users will lap up the marketing bullshit and remain kept in the dark about the facts that under the bonnet, they have an OS that is ridden with unpatched known/unknown security flaws.

Now, even in DD-WRT very latest builds using newer still maintained kernels which contain the latest security patches against all known CVEs that affect DD-WRT and even though 3rd party libraries and component are updated in DD-WRT to fix any know security flaws, there exists the unknown security flaws which are still exploitable.

Now, personally I prefer to run something that is patched against all known security flaws, because this reduces the attack surface since a large number of malware payloads which trawl the intrawebs looking for affected devices out there created by bad actors only rely on these known exploits to succeed.

The unknown exploits still present IN ANY kernel/library or component modern and maintained is still an issue, and these days the bad actors are really really rebuilding their botnets that have been taken down by worldwide operations between law enforcement and tech companies and are going after everything via their automated delivery systems and campaigns.

Its irresponsible from most consumer devices manufacturers to continue to build their solutions ontop of a crap flawed foundation, no matter who they are, its still more profitable for them to pay fines, then to use modern kernels/libraries and components.

This is possible for them because users dont care and continue falling for the marketing gimmicks year after year and ths a very profitable business because they have no interest in educating consumers.

Planned obsolesce FTW.

My only interest is educating people in the reality rather than pulling the wool over their eyes.

Ultimately, freedom is a great thing, even if misused by the vast majority of humans on this planet due to lack of education and factual information and providing such is against these corporations interests and profit margins.

So exercise your freedom and feel free to continue believing these corporations care about customers or security.

DD-WRT Inspired themes for the SVN Trac & FTP site
Join in for a chat @ #style_it_themes_public:matrix.org or #style_it_themes:discord

DD-WRT UI Themes Bug Reporting and Discussion thread

Router: ANus RT-AC68U E1 (recognized as C1)
dale_gribble39
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2022 21:11    Post subject: Reply with quote
Follow-up on this issue. Should be good in the current release (49268):

https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=332141

https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=332327

And miles to go before I sleep." - Robert Frost

"I am one of the noticeable ones - notice me" - Dale Frances McKenzie Bozzio

<fact>code knows no gender</fact>

This is me, knowing I've ruffled your feathers, and not giving a ****
Some people are still hard-headed.

--------------------------------------
Mac Pro (Mid 2012) - Two 2.4GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon E5645 processors 64GB 1333MHz DDR3 ECC SDRAM OpenSUSE Leap 15.5
Goto page Previous  1, 2 Display posts from previous:    Page 2 of 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: