WRT3200ACM - r33679 Haven't Updated. What Should I Do?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.)
bZk9KWMrSy3qhqFJ
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2022 4:05    Post subject: WRT3200ACM - r33679 Haven't Updated. What Should I Do? Reply with quote
Once I flashed back in 2017 I totally forgot to keep up with updates. As the title says, I'm on r33679. Should I upgrade straight to a recent built, or do I need to go in any specific order? Any info for the noob is appreciated.
Sponsor
blkt
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2022 8:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
It is up to you whether to CLI flash or from WebUI, but do not select reset from a GUI dropdown option.
Should reset after verifying successful reboot into new build. Should be okay flashing directly to r48865.

New Build - 05/16/2022 - r48886 -> ddwrt-linksys-wrt3200acm-webflash.bin -> nvram erase && reboot
Factory Defaults tab is fine, just avoid any reset during the upgrade, again GUI dropdown leave it alone.

Edit: r48886 is out, but nothing wrong with r48865. Upgrade twice, overwrite alternate r33679 partition.

Last edited by blkt on Mon May 16, 2022 11:45; edited 1 time in total
the-joker
DD-WRT Developer/Maintainer

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2022 9:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
via cli
Code:
nvram erase && write fwfilename.ext linux
verify all has gone well adn issue
Code:
reboot

DD-WRT Inspired themes for the SVN Trac & FTP site
Join in for a chat @ #style_it_themes_public:matrix.org or #style_it_themes:discord

DD-WRT UI Themes Bug Reporting and Discussion thread

Router: ANus RT-AC68U E1 (recognized as C1)
blkt
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2022 10:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
Please, do not nvram erase before or during write. This command also does not exist on a November 2017 build.

'cd /tmp' then 'wget {file URL}' (http only) or 'curl -O {file URL}' (http, https, ftp). 'write {file} linux' then 'reboot'.
the-joker
DD-WRT Developer/Maintainer

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2022 10:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
Why not erase nvram before? maybe I missed the actual issue? Didnt even know it was a thing not todo.
DD-WRT Inspired themes for the SVN Trac & FTP site
Join in for a chat @ #style_it_themes_public:matrix.org or #style_it_themes:discord

DD-WRT UI Themes Bug Reporting and Discussion thread

Router: ANus RT-AC68U E1 (recognized as C1)
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2022 10:31    Post subject: Reply with quote
Resets are only required after such a large jump in builds; and only if gremlins arise after a dirty flash goes awry. The only other time I am aware of requiring an nvram wipe is during serial recovery Wink

It is also advisable to upgrade both partitions to current or current and previous release.

Sticky: DD-WRT Installation, Upgrade & Basic Setup–Cliff Notes

DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
egc
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2022 10:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
In the old days it was advised to do a reset before and after upgrade.

The reset after upgrade is the one that matters Smile

Why would you do a reset before upgrade?
Maybe if you have jffs2 enabled because there is no room to upload a large firmware which will brick your router (happened to me)

But I do not have JFFS2 enabled so never do a reset before upgrade but when in doubt also a reset before upgrade is OK.

Forum Guide Lines (important read):https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=324087
SurprisedItWorks
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2022 15:24    Post subject: Reply with quote
And there were some changes some months back in the builds for the WRT series that effectively mean that you definitely need to do that after-flash reset. I'd be safe and do it after the flash/reboot has had a few minutes to settle down and finish its initial housekeeping. Don't even "nag" it with attempts to bring up the GUI for the first few minutes. This might be a pointless precaution, but it's a safe one.

In any case, the reset means you will have to reconfigure from scratch, so if your memory is as ragged as mine, you might want to pull out your phone and take lots of photos of GUI pages before you start.

You'll love the result of all this upgrading effort. dd-wrt has really improved since those days.

2x Netgear XR500 and 3x Linksys WRT1900ACSv2 on 53544: VLANs, VAPs, NAS, station mode, OpenVPN client (AirVPN), wireguard server (AirVPN port forward) and clients (AzireVPN, AirVPN, private), 3 DNSCrypt providers via VPN.
bZk9KWMrSy3qhqFJ
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2022 2:54    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks for the input. I ended up using webgui to upgrade to r48741. It went really smooth with no issues during the upgrade. I had to replace all my settings but that wasn't a problem. However, one problem I'm noticing now is that two wifi cameras and a peloton bike are dropping connections pretty regularly. I'm not sure what could be causing this. Initially I set the autoreboot to like 60 hours, but the time hadn't even passed to reboot so I don't think it was that. The Peloton bike will connect to the 2.4ghz but it tries to connect to the 5ghz and says no internet connection and disconnects. The wifi cameras work fine, then they just disconnect and sometime later just randomly reconnect. This time, they haven't reconnected yet.
blkt
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2022 13:20    Post subject: Reply with quote
No settings but really you should be using r48886 or r48865, not r48741 which was first after major changes.

Edit: New Build - 08/10/2022 - r49677
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.) All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: