DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2022 14:20    Post subject: Reply with quote
OK

Shame there wasn’t anything for me.
Sponsor
the-joker
DD-WRT Developer/Maintainer

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2022 16:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
Like I posted you have alternatives, but, not all of them are ideal since it requires spending money.

But since its not my money to be spent... Smile Idea Heck I dont have any, zeroed out. Crying or Very sad

DD-WRT Inspired themes for the SVN Trac & FTP site
Join in for a chat @ #style_it_themes_public:matrix.org or #style_it_themes:discord

DD-WRT UI Themes Bug Reporting and Discussion thread

Router: ANus RT-AC68U E1 (recognized as C1)
youdsmedia
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2022 17:28    Post subject: Reply with quote
“Alternative, maybe a 4G standalone modem connected to the WAN port of your DD-WRT router or some other setup. “

How would this work? I want to have the dongle or 4g router for backup to the main line.
the-joker

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2022 18:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
If I was gonna do what you propose, I would do some kind of tethering via my mobile, problem is tethering only works properly for iphone to dd-wrt. There are quite a few posts you could look up on boards which discuss this how-to for android tethering, but YMMV.

Its also possible to use a mobile phone and create a hotspot (if you have a mobile with dual sim, I do, and cant live with one sim, since data only sims are much more affordable), I sometimes use my mobile to connect my laptop to the internet or anything that has a wifi card, and when Im at home its pretty much connected to router, which in a way its a redundancy.

Router side it maybe possible to set one radio as AP and one as client mode also, but I have two radios on router, haven't really looked into it tbh.

Im pretty sure others will have done something like this and maybe they will chime in.

The more obvious alternative is getting a x64 router and install dd-wrt on it, but that would go around to the same as using a standalone modem.

What really pongs me, is that if your ISP is that flaky that you have to jump through hoops every so often because the internet is down, then, I would give them hell, because always on connectivity is always on, except rare maintenance cases.

My ISP currently is quite crap (I get wifi internet there are no alternatives where I live in the middle of nowhere), not long ago I had no connectivity since one of their nodes died and it took them 2 days to get it back up. But there my data sim was hammered, but I dont have limits on bandwidth either so its all the same.

Join in for a chat @ #style_it_themes_public:matrix.org or #style_it_themes:discord

youdsmedia
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2022 18:50    Post subject: Reply with quote
Could you give me a good example of an x64 router? And if so, will my dongle then work? And would it provide what I am expecting?

I already have a Linksys 1900ACS so did not expect to have to change that but if needs must!
youdsmedia
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2022 18:59    Post subject: Reply with quote
Also, I just don’t know where to start. Would having a 4g router mean I can share service between phone line and 4g?

Thanks!
youdsmedia
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2022 11:06    Post subject: Reply with quote
Anyone able to offer a working setup to fix drop outs with 4G

Money not an object
egc
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2022 11:20    Post subject: Reply with quote
I did not follow this thread but are you referring to:

https://wiki.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Cellular_Phone/USB_Modem_as_WAN_connection
and
https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=69970
https://wiki.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Mobile_Broadband

Forum Guide Lines (important read):https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=324087
youdsmedia
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2022 12:39    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi egc thanks for your reply.

I see Mobile Broadband under WAN connection type, but this would be a change in connectivity not as a backup.

What am I looking for??
the-joker

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2022 13:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
Two WAN ports on the router or some ethernet splitter idk if that would even work, then you have a real backup.

I read something about dual WAN support in DD-WRT idk if its this wan_dualaccess=0
or if its possible to make one of the switches port act like a WAN port either.... maybe egc can tell us if I'm talking out of my larynx or my rectum.
And either way, you need to know that one service is down before using the other I dont know if dd-wrt is that clever, but a script can always do that job.

youdsmedia
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2022 14:02    Post subject: Reply with quote
Where does dd-wrt allow you to configure wan_dualaccess??

I was thinking a router with 4G supported by some script. Surely there is something less complicated though.

Thank you
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2022 15:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
This forum needs that animated casual looking around whistling emoticon from Yahoo Chat daze.

https://wiki.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Category:Wan

DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
youdsmedia
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2022 20:10    Post subject: Reply with quote
Apologies for my blind naivety and failure to comprehend entirely, but after following https://wiki.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Dual_WAN_with_failover I am told /jffs is on a read only filesystem and the folders aren't created. Doing mkdir /jffs/etc gives the error that the filesystem is readonly. It logged in as root.

Is there another method I/we/whatever are not aware of?
youdsmedia
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2022 15:34    Post subject: Reply with quote
So just coming back to this. If I can get this working it would save a lot of heartache. The guide does not list how to configure where the scripts are so it must be pre-defined. Anyone able to help??
the-joker

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 17:00    Post subject: Reply with quote
JFFS2 is enabled on the administration tab -> management tab, initially toggle both

Internal Flash Storage ON
Clean Internal Flash Storage ON

then when its done and you get a value ahead of Total / Free Size you can toggle Clean Internal Flash Storage OFF.

and then bobs your uncle JFFS2 is able to be used, however this is internal flash, so make sure to avoid excessive writes, scripts that are read only after the fact its ok. But better is saving stuff like this to USB.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 2 of 3
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: