A few basic Qs for converting the WRT54G to a repeater

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
redhawk0
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2022 20:19    Post subject: Reply with quote
MorCowbell wrote:
OK ... now that I'm back in and can edit the Control Panel, here's what I have:

I still cannot connect to the Repeater/Bridge. By naming its SSID (in the Virtual Interface area) the same as the primary router (TP-LINK), it - of course - shows up as the name of the Primary router, to which I can connect.

Why does the repeater/Bridge device continuously search for the IP address? What could be wrong?

The Physical interface needs to have the SSID set to the Primary router. The Virtual interface will the be the SSID you use to connect to your RB. The passkey for both interfaces should be the same.

redhawk
Sponsor
MorCowbell
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2022 21:53    Post subject: Found show-stopping problem, but still a connection issue Reply with quote
Under Wireless | Wireless Security, I changed the Security Mode from WPA2-PSK/WPA-PSK to WPA2-PSK.

After rebooting, I can - for the first time - fully connect to the Repeater. However, as I stare at the Network Details screen on my cell phone, it cycles between these stages:

Connected

Disconnected

Obtaining IP address ...

Connected

Disconnected

Obtaining IP address ...

Connected

Disconnected

Obtaining IP address ...

The phone is right next to the WRT54G Repeater! Why would it be doing this?
Surprised Shocked Confused
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2022 1:56    Post subject: Reply with quote
Try forget network on the phone and reconnect.
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
MorCowbell
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2022 15:03    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks Kernel-panic69. I tried that a couple times. I think it finally settled down and tends to stay connected. It still "falls off" intermittently, then reconnects. Not sure why the intermittent behavior.

I wrote up a very clear and comprehensive 'wiki' for converting the WRT54G to a Repeater/Bridge - a wiki that I never found on the DD-WRT site. How can I submit this wiki for posting?? I consider this my contribution for all the help I got from guys like you and EGC. If I had my wiki, I could have set this up within an hour !!
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2022 18:27    Post subject: Reply with quote
What part of the Broadcom section of the current wiki does not match your procedure or is confusing to you? You are always welcome to attach a .pdf or .doc or .txt file with your notes to be reviewed, but I fear that we may require the necessity to break that whole thing up between Broadcom K24, Broadcom K26, Broadcom K3X, Atheros, Ralink/MediaTek, Marvell, etc. because people seem to lose focus on what is applicable. I believe this mode of operation is only applicable *natively* to Broadcom and possibly Ralink/MediaTek and no other supported vendor platforms, anyway.

----------------------
MorCowbell
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2022 22:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
I swear to you that what I have composed is NOWHERE on the DD-WRT forum site. I can also tell you that if I had had the guide I prepared, I never would have had to get on this forum for days trying to get what should be a simple job done. As a former technical writer, I can tell you that a technical guide should be complete and anticipate areas of misunderstanding and errant ways on the part of the uninitiated.
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2022 0:46    Post subject: Reply with quote
So, what is in the wiki area that I linked in bold letters above, you read and it doesn't match or you just didn't read it? I asked for you to attach the document and you did not, so I can't determine for myself...

----------------------
MorCowbell
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2022 13:32    Post subject: Reply with quote
Here it is, Kernel-panic69.

WRT54G repeater bridge wiki.doc
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  WRT54G repeater bridge wiki.doc
 Filesize:  483.5 KB
 Downloaded:  57 Time(s)

egc
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2022 13:44    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks nice write up Smile

On first glance two remarks.

Build 40599 is not only very old but a particular bad build.
Local DNS should also be set to the primary router

Forum Guide Lines (important read):https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=324087
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2022 14:56    Post subject: Reply with quote
Shouldn't need local DNS, that I know of; nowhere in the write-up does it mention anything about disabling dhcp or dnsmasq. The current incarnation of the wiki seems to lead me to believe that dnsmasq remains enabled for DNS resolution, which is not required if you enter a gateway address (so that NTP can work) - as far as I know of. That write-up was probably a throw-back to pre-udhcpd being removed. If I had a WRT54* and a Linksys E-series or similar to test with, I could take the time to fine-tune that wiki (that has had at least a dozen set of fingers ticking and clicking at it with edits). On my radar to mull over at some point. I still have a few others that need attention still. P.S. I have an ongoing bout with Guitar Elbow (f*ck Tennis, it came later, musicians rule!) and other repetitive-motion injuries these days.

----------------------
MorCowbell
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2022 17:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
Kernel-Panic69 wrote:
"nowhere in the write-up does it mention anything about disabling dhcp or dnsmasq."

If you look at Step 5 on p.4, I state:

Note that once “AP” is changed to ‘Repeater/Bridge’, WAN Connection Type (under Connection Type within the Setup|Basic Setup submenu) will automatically be set to ‘Disabled’.

A manual disable is unnecessary. The GUI takes care of it automatically.

Changes I attempted to DNSmasq did not hold upon 'Save'. After several tries, I abandoned this. That's why you didn't see it mentioned.

When EGC says:

"Build 40599 is not only very old but a particular bad build."

What would have been better?
egc
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2022 18:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
Anything but 40599.

Usually you take latest build which is working for your router.

Current build is 48865

Forum Guide Lines (important read):https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=324087
MorCowbell
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2022 20:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
Would it be worthwhile to total reset and upgrade to v48865?
MorCowbell
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2022 21:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
The problem is, when you request a list of firmware for the WRT54G v4, you get this:

https://dd-wrt.com/support/other-downloads/?path=v24%2FBroadcom%2FLinksys%2FWRT54G_v4%2F

Everything in the list is 2008 and nowhere is the Build # listed. So one would have no idea how to obtain v48865, and whether it would be compatible with this router. That was my dilemma in choosing the firmware I did.

Where is v48865 listed and does it say what it's compatible with?
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2022 22:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
https://download1.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/downloads/betas/2022/05-13-2022-r48865/broadcom/

When I mentioned dhcp and dnsmasq, I mean the dhcp server and dnsmasq on the services page. Sorry if that wasn't more intuitively obvious.

----------------------
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 2 of 4
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: