unchecking " Use DNS Masq " kills the internet.

Goto page 1, 2  Next
cdoublejj
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2022 0:53    Post subject: unchecking " Use DNS Masq " kills the internet. Reply with quote
i'm trying to set up lancache from lancahce.net and it seems to work if i set EACH PC to used it. If i set DD-WRT to use it, doesn't quite work right. if i uncheck use dns masq, i can't get to outside internet.

i've made my lancache host the sol DNS ip in dd-wrt setup.
Sponsor
Alozaros
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2022 0:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
so, you want to have an external DNS resolver...have a look here, the idea is the same....
https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=331414

TP-Link WR1043NDv2 -Gargoyle OS 1.15.x AP,DNS,QoS,Quotas
Qualcomm-Atheros
Netgear XR500 --DD-WRT 55460 Gateway/DoH,Forced DNS,AP Isolation,4VLAN,Ad-Block,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R7800 --DD-WRT 55460 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,Forced DNS,AP&Net Isolation,x3VLAN,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R9000 --DD-WRT 55363 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,AP Isolation,Firewall,Forced DNS,x2VLAN,Vanilla
Broadcom
Netgear R7000 --DD-WRT 55460 Gateway/SmartDNS/DoH,AD-Block,Firewall,Forced DNS,x3VLAN,VPN
NOT USING 5Ghz ANYWHERE
------------------------------------------------------
Stubby DNS over TLS I DNSCrypt v2 by mac913
cdoublejj
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2022 1:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
i also saw this

mod edit: remove crazy link that redirects to edit.

in theory if DHCP hands out the external resolver as DNS can't then make the router the up stream DNS so that local hostnames work again?

EDIT: also i've noticed unchecking that box as per their instructions kills the internet, maybe it's lack of additional settings.

EDIT EDIT: i didn't scroll down far enough!!!
cdoublejj
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2022 1:40    Post subject: Reply with quote
ok, theres a few option in that link

this options looks good except for Pi hole can only see the router, i wonder if this will affect all the services running and the DNS host it's self?

whats the last last weird looking page is this another modem or router or something? it has google colors maybe it's google router modem?

EDIT: i think things might be working as intended, not sure yet, not super broken for sure.
cdoublejj
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2022 1:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
[quote="cdoublejj"]ok, theres a few option in that link

this options looks good except for Pi hole can only see the router, i wonder if this will affect all the services running and the DNS host it's self?

whats the last last weird looking page is this another modem or router or something? it has google colors maybe it's google router modem?

EDIT: i think things might be working as intended, i can no longer navigate 192.168.1.1 any more i can not get to my router. glad i didn't save the settings.

EDIT: rebooted router, settings seem to have stuck and i can manage router via ip in web browser again
cdoublejj
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2022 3:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
ok unless there is bug i think the above link is a TERRIBLE way to redirect DNS, i believe my router is trying to pass through multigigabit traffic over it's single 1gig port.

OR the ui is bugged beyond belief but i think it's the prior.

i need a way to have local host names, and have DNS go to the external DNS. i don't see why the external DNS can't point back to the router.

if DHCP tells all the clients to go to 192.168.1.9 for DNS and and forwards back to the router. perhaps i need to re read through that link!

EDIT: thats it for tonight, options 2 and 3 BRUTALIZE the poor WNDR4000. it's little CPU heatsink i glued to it was actually doing something. it's like prim 95 dd-wrt routers.

i'm going to try the FORCE dns redirect from the link.

lancache on a multigig network gets real. Local SMB file transfers have been a screaming breeze but, CDN DNS redirection, well i don't think it's likes the DNS and CDN distribution on the same IP but, i'm not sure. Whatever's happening it's piping ALL of the data through the router.

Hopefully forced dns redirect works but, i believed that mess up a lot of stuff and kill local host names.
ho1Aetoo
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2022 8:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
So no idea what you're talking about.

the posted links are all broken

your thread is absolutely horrible to read

and understand that the linked thread refers to the use of a Pi-Hole

and the funny pictures in the thread are not from some "google router" but from a Pi-Hole

no idea what a Pi-hole is ? then google it

Last edited by ho1Aetoo on Thu May 05, 2022 16:30; edited 1 time in total
egc
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2022 8:22    Post subject: Reply with quote
The instructions are extensively used and tested so although a bug is always possible it is not very likely.

Forced DNS redirection is an extra, to capture rogue clients. So not sure if that is going to save you.

Your router uses a 15 year old SOC: BCM4718 single core MIPS32 running at 480/533 MHz.
It is not possible that it is running out of horsepower (or is it?)

In your case try option 2, only set the lancache IP address in Static DNS 1, leave Static DNS 2 and 3 empty and Disable Query DNS in strict order. (It also should work just following the instructions but some DNSMasq versions do not always work well with strict order (e.g. both Static DNS 1 and 2 are then used ) and as you did not tell us the build you are using (a mortal sin in DDWRT land) we do not know for sure.

It should work, provided you set the lancache upstream DNS server to a public DNS server e.g. 8.8.8.8 and lancache is actually working but that is outside the scope of this thread.

Forum Guide Lines (important read):https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=324087
ho1Aetoo
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2022 9:22    Post subject: Reply with quote
I read here mainly concentrated nonsense.
What the option "Use DNSMasq for DNS" does I have described more than once in detail,

enable "Use DNSMasq for DNS" = the clients get the router address as DNS server and the router forwards the DNS requests to the upstream DNS server

disable "Use DNSMasq for DNS" = the clients get directly the address of the upstream DNS server (which is configured under "static DNS 1-3")

If then suddenly the Internet no longer works then the upstream DNS server does not work and something is wrong configured - very simple

by the way, the clients also have to renew their DHCP lease if you change something ... there should also be bitchy clients that need a reboot

The various examples also do not route "multigigabit traffic" over a single Gigabit port.

The only thing they do is forward a few DNS queries - which consumes no resources at all - unless you have again misconfigured something and built some infinity loops.

In addition, as already mentioned, the examples are designed for the use of a Pi-Hole.

And depending on the example, different settings are required on the Pi-Hole.

a Pi-Hole you do not own

Last edited by ho1Aetoo on Thu May 05, 2022 10:10; edited 1 time in total
egc
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2022 9:25    Post subject: Reply with quote
Indeed it is a very well written and clear set of instructions which are extensively tested and used Smile
Forum Guide Lines (important read):https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=324087
cdoublejj
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2022 16:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
egc wrote:
The instructions are extensively used and tested so although a bug is always possible it is not very likely.

Forced DNS redirection is an extra, to capture rogue clients. So not sure if that is going to save you.

Your router uses a 15 year old SOC: BCM4718 single core MIPS32 running at 480/533 MHz.
It is not possible that it is running out of horsepower (or is it?)

In your case try option 2, only set the lancache IP address in Static DNS 1, leave Static DNS 2 and 3 empty and Disable Query DNS in strict order. (It also should work just following the instructions but some DNSMasq versions do not always work well with strict order (e.g. both Static DNS 1 and 2 are then used ) and as you did not tell us the build you are using (a mortal sin in DDWRT land) we do not know for sure.

It should work, provided you set the lancache upstream DNS server to a public DNS server e.g. 8.8.8.8 and lancache is actually working but that is outside the scope of this thread.

I won't rule that out but, you'd think it would keel over during normal use then too. all that should be happening is passing the DNS over to the lancache DNS. a 486 or pentium 1 should be able to handle that. in theory during normal operation it's passing the DNS to 8.8.8.8 anyways.

ho1Aetoo wrote:
I read here mainly concentrated nonsense.
What the option "Use DNSMasq for DNS" does I have described more than once in detail,

enable "Use DNSMasq for DNS" = the clients get the router address as DNS server and the router forwards the DNS requests to the upstream DNS server

disable "Use DNSMasq for DNS" = the clients get directly the address of the upstream DNS server (which is configured under "static DNS 1-3")

If then suddenly the Internet no longer works then the upstream DNS server does not work and something is wrong configured - very simple

by the way, the clients also have to renew their DHCP lease if you change something ... there should also be bitchy clients that need a reboot

The various examples also do not route "multigigabit traffic" over a single Gigabit port.

The only thing they do is forward a few DNS queries - which consumes no resources at all - unless you have again misconfigured something and built some infinity loops.

In addition, as already mentioned, the examples are designed for the use of a Pi-Hole.

And depending on the example, different settings are required on the Pi-Hole.

a Pi-Hole you do not own

ok that's what i thought, but, the idea of it passing traffic is purely due to the unusually high CPU usage. that cpu usage does NOT make sense.

anyone have any ideas on trying to log or view logs to see what's slamming the CPU? maybe i can see if lancache is doing something weird but, it too should be forwarding to 8.8.8.8 DNS.

EDIT: if i blamed that article or author for not being well written, that is not the case and i take it back. infact it was the most help i've gotten in a long time for trying to get lancache working.

EDIT: the links no longer work for me weather but, they did the night i posted the replies in this thread. i apologize but, i'm not sure what steps i can do about that.

EDIT: i'm going to try to do some googling on dd-wrt logging, heck maybe it even has htop or something.

Last edited by cdoublejj on Thu May 12, 2022 17:09; edited 1 time in total
egc
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2022 17:06    Post subject: Reply with quote
If you use Option 2 like I described your LAN clients will use the lancache as DNS server.

So check on your clients if indeed they have the lancache address as DNS server and if you have setup the lancache correctly it will query to upstream DNS servers, but the traffic itself like all other traffic will go through the router of course and if there is lots of traffic the router will be taxed.

Then lancache will do the DNS unless you have forced DNS redirection enabled in that case the router captures all DNS requests

cdoublejj
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2022 17:13    Post subject: Reply with quote
the problem with option 2 or any of the option, is while it works, yes it does work! i can run nslookup and see it pointing to lancache, as per lancahce DNS functionality verification steps. it checks out.

the issue now is the CPU is pegged at 100%.

should i consider making a video?
ho1Aetoo
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2022 17:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
For the first, it would be enough if you posted your complete settings.

WebIF > Setup
WebIF > Services > dnsmasq
lancacheDNS > UPSTREAM_DNS

The only thing that goes through the router in example 2 are dns requests.
And a few DNS queries cannot fully utilise the CPU.

The other CDN stuff certainly works via dns-rebind and should run over the switch fabric.

But experience shows that users always build infinite loops into the DNS forwarding and an infinite loop is just infinite.
Then 1000 DNS requests become 1 million and more.
the-joker
DD-WRT Developer/Maintainer

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2022 18:24    Post subject: Reply with quote
Just to let you guys know, edited several posts to remove crazy links that redirect to edit on my side, no idea what they did for regular users, after reading the comments about broken links, this seemed the best thing to do.

Solved =)

DD-WRT Inspired themes for the SVN Trac & FTP site
Join in for a chat @ #style_it_themes_public:matrix.org or #style_it_themes:discord

DD-WRT UI Themes Bug Reporting and Discussion thread

Router: ANus RT-AC68U E1 (recognized as C1)
Goto page 1, 2  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Advanced Networking All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: