WDS Network / Port 9100 network LAN printing not working

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
Laithan
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2022 18:16    Post subject: WDS Network / Port 9100 network LAN printing not working Reply with quote
Hi all, have an odd issue I cannot seem to get around. I tried searching for this specific issue but found a lot of USB printing references (I am not using USB printing).

I have a R9000 configured as a WDS AP and a 3700v2 WDS Station that works fine when I plug a PC in directly to the LAN ports on the back (or if I connect via WiFi). The only issue I have is if I connect my HP LaserJet printer via network cable the print job never makes it to the printer. It seems that maybe port 9100 is being blocked? I can ping the printer, I can connect to the web interface of the printer but if I print it never gets the print job. It doesn't get stuck in the queue either, windows thinks the print job went through but the printer never prints.

If I unplug the printer from the WDS Station and connect it directly into the network, it prints just fine. Plug it back into the back of the WDS Station and it stops printing again.

Any ideas what might be blocking the port 9100 print jobs?
Thank you in advance.
Sponsor
egc
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2022 19:40    Post subject: Reply with quote
Moved this thread to the appropriate forum.

See the forum guidelines with many helpful tips:
https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=324087

We can give better support if you mention the buildnumber you are using

Forum Guide Lines (important read):https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=324087
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2022 21:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
According to the wiki, WDS STA devices leave filter multicast checked. Network printing depends on multicast, if I am not mistaken.
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
Laithan
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2022 22:32    Post subject: Reply with quote
Netgear Nighthawk X10
DD-WRT v3.0-r44715 std (11/03/20)
Linux 4.9.241 #511 SMP Thu Oct 29 13:59:12 +03 2020 armv7l

Netgear WNDR3700 v2/WNDR37AV v2/WNDR3800/WNDR38AV
DD-WRT v3.0-r44715 std (11/03/20)
Linux 3.10.108-d10 #63184 Tue Nov 3 05:20:50 +03 2020 mips

Thank you. Firmware here is a bit old but not sure if that's the root cause here. I am certainly happy to try and update to the latest if that might fix the issue.

I did have multicast checked per the Wiki, I tried toggling multicast on both the AP and the Station but it didn't help.
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2022 1:19    Post subject: Reply with quote
Laithan wrote:
I am certainly happy to try and update to the latest if that might fix the issue.

Coming to the forum about an issue that may or may not apply to the current release is not always a good idea and can be a waste of time if the issue has already been fixed.

https://download1.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/downloads/betas/2022/05-03-2022-r48786/netgear-r9000/

https://download1.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/downloads/betas/2022/05-03-2022-r48786/netgear-wndr3700v2/

Laithan wrote:
I did have multicast checked per the Wiki, I tried toggling multicast on both the AP and the Station but it didn't help.

The wiki only states to check it on the STA (client), not the AP. But again, network printing uses multicast AFAIK, so not sure if the wiki is incorrect or not as I understand WDS is supposed to work for multicast (?).

https://forum.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/WDS_Linked_router_network

----------------------
Laithan
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2022 23:29    Post subject: Reply with quote
I upgraded my 3700v2 first. Went well although I see some "undefined" tabs and options. I may need to do a factory reset and reconfigure. I didn't upgrade the R9000 yet.

I noticed with this build that I cannot check multicast with the firewall disabled. As soon as I click save it unchecks but if I enable the firewall it will stick. This isn't what the wiki says so I wonder if expected in this new build.

I did do a test print and still doesn't work but I know I'm not finished my homework Wink Thanks guys!
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2022 1:08    Post subject: Reply with quote
The filter multicast checkbox is some weird anomaly, and the nvram variable should still be toggled properly. The undefined issue can be fixed with a refresh of the page or CTRL+F5, usually. No resets required, but you may wish to coming from 44715.

----------------------
Per Yngve Berg
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2022 17:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
Laithan wrote:
I noticed with this build that I cannot check multicast with the firewall disabled.

It natural that a firewall that is disabled cannot filter Multicast. A disabled firewall cannot filter anything.

That option does not enable Multicast, but enables a filter that block Multicast.

Have you defined the printer in Windows to be on the IP address of the printer and port 9100 (Local printer)?

That uses unicast and not multicast.

Besides Multicast over wifi is a story of it self. The speed is limited to 6Mbit/s.

Atheros have a "Multicast to Unicast" option for wifi.
Laithan
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2022 18:24    Post subject: Reply with quote
kernel-panic69 wrote:
No resets required, but you may wish to coming from 44715.

Yeah it was misbehaving, likely some residual bits. I reset to defaults and started over and flashed the new firmware again and then it started working normally.

I upgraded the R9000 also. Everything went well, seems to be fine no issues. Some new things added to the firmware like overclocking Smile. Anyway now both the AP and STA are on the new firmware.

Per Yngve Berg wrote:
Laithan wrote:
I noticed with this build that I cannot check multicast with the firewall disabled.

It natural that a firewall that is disabled cannot filter Multicast. A disabled firewall cannot filter anything.

That option does not enable Multicast, but enables a filter that block Multicast.

Have you defined the printer in Windows to be on the IP address of the printer and port 9100 (Local printer)?

That uses unicast and not multicast.

Besides Multicast over wifi is a story of it self. The speed is limited to 6Mbit/s.

Atheros have a "Multicast to Unicast" option for wifi.

Makes sense. Sounds like the Wiki will need to be updated. Clicking disable will remove all checkboxes regardless.

"Step 8: Go to the Security → Firewall page

Uncheck all of the boxes except Filter Multicast
Click Save
Check the Disable button at the top
Click Save"

Yes, windows is configured to use the IP address and port 9100. I can connect to the printer's web interface just fine. I tried printing again and it didn't work. Only when connected to this STA am I unable to print. Seems to be a block on this port.

Next, I made sure the firewall was disabled on both AP and STA. Rebooted both routers, still would not print.

Next I figured I would experiment with the Multicast To Unicast setting. I set both the AP and STA to "Disabled" and then "Enabled" would not print either way. This was also while both firewalls were disabled.
Per Yngve Berg
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2022 21:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
Gave you rules out all MTU and MSS size Issues?

Ping with increasing packet sizes.

Use tcpdump on the routers to see what traffic passes through.
Laithan
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2022 22:58    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thank you. I successfully pinged from the default 32bytes up to 1472bytes.

As a test I ran a long CAT6 cable directly from my PC to the WDS AP instead of through my LAN switch and printing worked! I then ran it directly over to the WDS STA and it printed just fine that way also. Smile Question Does this rule out DD-WRT, it is just odd that I only have the issue when the printer is hanging off the Wireless network.

All MTUs are at default 1500 on WLAN but I do have it set to 9000 on LANs and all NICs. So printer works fine when placed on the 9000 MTU network where my windows PC is.. If I put my PC on the 1500 MTU network it also prints fine.. just doesn't work when one is on Wifi and one is on LAN??

Thanks for the help with this, it has to be something with the MTU size or something odd that I need to track down.
the-joker
DD-WRT Developer/Maintainer

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2022 11:28    Post subject: Reply with quote
Quote:
just doesn't work when one is on Wifi and one is on LAN??

Unless you have Net isolation enabled on the wifi, then I'm out of ideas, but tbh my printer is attached to USB port on a dedicated external NAS and that is accessible to everything on my network regardless of WiFi or wired.

DD-WRT Inspired themes for the SVN Trac & FTP site
Join in for a chat @ #style_it_themes_public:matrix.org or #style_it_themes:discord

DD-WRT UI Themes Bug Reporting and Discussion thread

Router: ANus RT-AC68U E1 (recognized as C1)
Laithan
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2022 19:56    Post subject: Reply with quote
the-joker wrote:
Quote:
just doesn't work when one is on Wifi and one is on LAN??

Unless you have Net isolation enabled on the wifi, then I'm out of ideas, but tbh my printer is attached to USB port on a dedicated external NAS and that is accessible to everything on my network regardless of WiFi or wired.

Thank you. I do not have isolation enabled.

I wonder if it is somehow related to NetBIOS support. This is an old HP Color LaserJet 2600N and the web interface only has settings for a WINS server not DNS.

Sadly my network rack is in the basement (with my NAS) so I couldn't put the printer there. If I could run the printer off the USB port on the AP that could work... https://wiki.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/USB_printer_sharing
Laithan
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2022 23:28    Post subject: Reply with quote
Quick update, I was able to rule out DD-WRT. This issue is 100% nothing to do with the AP's or DD-WRT. I still cannot explain why going through my other switch is an issue..

Anyway, I was able to configure the USB port on the AP for printer support and it works great! I just created a TCP/IP port to the IP of the access point and DD-WRT passes the print job to the USB port no questions asked.

Why the same print job from the same PC can go to the AP's address just fine through my main switch... but not directly to the printer when plugged into the built in switch of the AP... is a mystery beyond my ability to decipher.

Thanks guys for your support and thanks to the devs for this amazing firmware!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: