LAG and Bonding Ports

lexridge
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2022 17:10    Post subject: LAG and Bonding Ports Reply with quote
I am going to be moving into a new house in June and I am wanting to re-design my network flow from the way I have it wired at my present residence. Both have garages/workshops that are separate from the main house.

I have there TPLink managed switches which support LAG (Link Aggregation) and I see that DD-WRT supports port Bonding. Never having messed with this stuff before, I am probably totally wrong about my concept of it. If I am correct in my thinking, LAG and Bonded ports should work hand in hand.

I already have an ea8500 installed at the new house. I am wanting to run two cables (bonded from the 8500 router) to the garage either into a TPLink switch LAG ports, or direct to the R7800. This will be a ~175 foot run. I have not thought this completely through however.

So my questions are:
1. Can two bonded cables carry though on the LAG ports of the switches? I can have up to two pairs of LAG ports on each switch (four physical connections).

2. Are these routers (r7800/ea8500) actually capable of handing 2gb wired connections via dual cables, assuming this is how bonding works?

3. If one cable were to fail, does Bonding have a fail over mechanism?

4. Are my VLANS able to pass through both Bonded and LAG ports?

If I am totally off base here, please tell me to shut up and go home Very Happy

Thanks in advance.

Netgear R7800 (WDS-AP, WAP, VAP) - DD-WRT r53562
Features in use: multiple VLANs over single trunk port

Linksys EA8500 WDS Station x2 - DD-WRT r53562

Netgear R6400v2 WAP, VAP 2.4ghz only w/VLANs over single trunk port.

OSes: Fedora 38, 9 RPis (2,3,4,5), 20 ESP8266s: Straight from Amiga to Linux in '94, never having owned a Windows PC.

Forum member #248
Sponsor
blkt
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2022 17:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
EA8500 the LAN/WAN share a single 1Gbit link to CPU, bottleneck, R7800 with two dedicated links doubftul.

This SoC hardware especially without NSS cannot handle 2Gbit speeds. Need specialized hardware, or x86.

Remember, IPQ8064 and IPQ8065 are originally meant for cell phones. Go enterprise or some custom build.

Last edited by blkt on Sun May 01, 2022 17:53; edited 1 time in total
lexridge
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2022 17:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
blkt wrote:
EA8500 the LAN/WAN share a single 1Gbit link to CPU, bottleneck, R7800 with two dedicated links doubftul.

Okay, so it would seem the routers cannot handle the speed of dual 1gb connections. the R7800 would have the WAN port disabled, functioning as a VAP/VLAN router. Not so on the EA8500. It will be the primary gateway.

In this case can I use Bonding as a fail over? If one cable breaks, the other will automatically go into service?

From the DD-WRT Bonding wiki:
https://wiki.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Bonding#active-backup
active-backup

Active-backup policy: Only one slave in the bond is active. A different slave becomes active if, and only if, the active slave fails. The bond's MAC address is externally visible on only one port (network adapter) to avoid confusing the switch. This mode provides fault tolerance. The primary option affects the behavior of this mode.

OSes: Fedora 38, 9 RPis (2,3,4,5), 20 ESP8266s: Straight from Amiga to Linux in '94, never having owned a Windows PC.

Forum member #248
blkt
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2022 17:54    Post subject: Reply with quote
blkt wrote:
Remember, IPQ8064 and IPQ8065 are originally meant for cell phones. Go enterprise or some custom build.

Sorry, was editing post above. Anyway, I think you are asking too much, like failover, from this hardware.

If something goes bad in consumer hardware, you are going to have bigger issues than a port going bad.
lexridge
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2022 18:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
blkt wrote:
blkt wrote:

Sorry, was editing post above. Anyway, I think you are asking too much, like failover, from this hardware.

If something goes bad in this consumer hardware, you are likely going to have a bigger issue than a single port going bad.

Okay, no point in attempting this then. Thanks for answering my question. It is what it is.

What I will do instead is connect the 8500 via one port to the TPLink switch, then use the two LAG ports to go to the garage TPLink switches LAG ports, then one connection from that switch to the R7800. Not quite the same thing, but should provide enough bandwidth for my needs anyway.

Thanks for saving me time and the heartache of failure!! Very Happy

Forum member #248
blkt
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2022 18:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
No need to quote, as quote chains are my Achilles' heel when post is directly above and caught in edit! Laughing

I am fairly certain bonding two ports together on routers to switches will introduce CPU bound situation.

You can try but be aware a penalty, EA8500 is gateway then double duty as well especially without NSS.

Search for bridge hardware offloading QCA8337 802.3ad (LACP) bonding it appears not to be supported.
lexridge
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2022 23:02    Post subject: Reply with quote
The NSS looks pretty ideal. Shame it is not supported on these routers....yet.

Your link was a very interesting read for sure. I have little experience with MicroTik routers, although my last employer had installed two of them about a month before I changed jobs. I considered buying one of the cheaper ones just to play with it but never pulled the trigger on it. I probably have enough routers here as it is and the wife would be surely upset if I added more to my collection Very Happy

I really need to pick up some more RPi4s, but they are now made of pure unobtainium and the few that are available are selling for 4x their normal price. Ugh!

Thanks again for your time and your help. Much appreciated.

Next on the list is to create a VPN between my router here at my present location to the ea8500 at the new place, which I finally got connected this afternoon. I still need to get two cameras installed so I can keep an eye on the place until I get moved in.

Forum member #248
Alozaros
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2022 9:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
lexridge wrote:

yep its a great miss... Crying or Very sad i think quarky and Kong they both did some progress on NSS on their personal builds, but it never came into light on DDWRT...

lexridge wrote:
I probably have enough routers here as it is and the wife would be surely upset if I added more to my collection Very Happy

hahaha yep tell me about it ...Cool Cool Laughing y girls hate routers...i donno Laughing Laughing Laughing

lexridge wrote:
Next on the list is to create a VPN between my router here at my present location to the ea8500 at the new place, which I finally got connected this afternoon. I still need to get two cameras installed so I can keep an eye on the place until I get moved in.

That could be done easily, just follow egcVPN guides...he does brilliant work and support Razz Razz

https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=327398
https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=327397

TP-Link WR1043NDv2 -Gargoyle OS 1.15.x AP,DNS,QoS,Quotas
Qualcomm-Atheros
Netgear XR500 --DD-WRT 55460 Gateway/DoH,Forced DNS,AP Isolation,4VLAN,Ad-Block,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R7800 --DD-WRT 55460 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,Forced DNS,AP&Net Isolation,x3VLAN,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R9000 --DD-WRT 55363 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,AP Isolation,Firewall,Forced DNS,x2VLAN,Vanilla
Broadcom
Netgear R7000 --DD-WRT 55460 Gateway/SmartDNS/DoH,AD-Block,Firewall,Forced DNS,x3VLAN,VPN
NOT USING 5Ghz ANYWHERE
------------------------------------------------------
Stubby DNS over TLS I DNSCrypt v2 by mac913
lexridge
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2022 12:11    Post subject: Reply with quote
Alozaros wrote:

lexridge wrote:

That could be done easily, just follow egcVPN guides...he does brilliant work and support Razz Razz

https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=327398
https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=327397

He certainly does do great work! I was looking at his WireGuard guides last night in preparation for this task, but he only covers connecting the client to a commercial service, not a DD-WRT WG server. I am sure once I start on it I can adapt however.

Forum member #248
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2022 12:25    Post subject: Reply with quote
Alozaros wrote:
lexridge wrote:

yep its a great miss... Crying or Very sad i think quarky and Kong they both did some progress on
NSS on their personal builds, but it never came into light on DDWRT...

I've lost track on anything related to adding NSS Core support to DD-WRT, but there is still an
open ticket. I could say a lot more here, but not my place.

DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Advanced Networking All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: