Use a different SSID in repeater bridge mode?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page 1, 2  Next
kerryhall
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2022 2:05    Post subject: Use a different SSID in repeater bridge mode? Reply with quote
I want to use repeater bridge mode to provide internet access to a small test network without having to run an ethernet cable to the primary AP.

However, the router I have chosen is an older one I'm simply repurposing, the primary AP greatly outclasses it. I don't want any traffic besides my test network traffic to go through the radio. (with one exception)

So it seems like I could simply use client bridged mode, but one very small issue: I would like to administer dd-wrt wirelessly.

Thus, I have a use case for repeater bridge mode, but with a different SSID for the secondary. Is this possible?
Sponsor
Wildlion
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2022 2:31    Post subject: Reply with quote
You should be able to do just that:

https://wiki.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Repeating_Mode_Comparisons
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2022 2:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
It would help to know exactly what router. Some hardware platforms do not support Repeater modes natively.
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
kerryhall
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2022 23:58    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thank you. The device in question is a WNDR4500.

From this page:
https://wiki.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Repeating_Mode_Comparisons

I see the following:

"On both WDS and R/RB (both R and RB), the repeater and base can broadcast different SSIDs."

Which is good, this is what I want, different SSIDs for the base and the repeater bridge.

But then I see:

"On R/RB, the base SSID will not only be used for joining the main-router, but also be repeated by the repeater"

But I don't want the base SSID to be repeated by the repeater.

And from here:
https://wiki.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Repeater_Bridge

"Wireless Network Name SSID: Must Match Primary Router EXACTLY including case"

I don't want that...basically what I'm trying to achieve is a 4 port switch that is wirelessly connected to a base AP, *and* provides an SSID that is *only* used for configuring dd-wrt, no other network traffic should pass through the radio, I don't want random network devices to connect to it that would have connected directly to the base.

So how do I tell dd-wrt "I want to use this device as a repeater bridge, but I don't want you to rebroadcast the SSID of the base station, instead, broadcast this new SSID" (that will basically only be used for admin access or various tests)
kerryhall
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 2:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
Well, forget what I just posted.

It would be nice to get to that point eventually, but for now I would be content with getting just client bridge working. (and for now I can admin from the primary router side)

I followed the docs here:
https://wiki.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Client_Bridged

but was confused by this line:

"Set Gateway mode to manual and enter primary router's IP address."

I do not see a place to set the "Gateway Mode", beside I suppose "Operating Mode" (which is currently set to "router").

But even if I set "Operating Mode" to "Gateway", I do not see a place to enter the primary router's IP address.

As of right now, my dd-wrt device is able to connect to the base AP with no problems, and I can access the dd-wrt web interface and ssh server from the base side with no issues, but it looks like dhcp isn't propagating from my router to the lan ports on the dd-wrt device.
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 2:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
Should be in router mode, and the IP address for the gateway is on the Setup -> Basic Setup page.

----------------------
eibgrad
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 2:52    Post subject: Reply with quote
Gateway mode enables NAT over the WAN, while Router mode disabled NAT over the WAN. But in any bridged configuration, there is no WAN, so how the Operating Mode is set is utterly irrelevant!

I don't know why the dd-wrt wikis insist on telling users to mess w/ the Operating Mode.

ddwrt-ovpn-split-basic.sh (UPDATED!) * ddwrt-ovpn-split-advanced.sh (UPDATED!) * ddwrt-ovpn-client-killswitch.sh * ddwrt-ovpn-client-watchdog.sh * ddwrt-ovpn-remote-access.sh * ddwrt-ovpn-client-backup.sh * ddwrt-mount-usb-drives.sh * ddwrt-blacklist-domains.sh * ddwrt-wol-port-forward.sh * ddwrt-dns-monitor.sh (NEW!)
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 4:32    Post subject: Reply with quote
Given your expertise and the weight of your words, @eibgrad, I will walk through these modes that reference that change in operating mode and verify no ill effects and make the necessary edits. Not sure if that notion had to do with the fullswitch function that was removed (Assign WAN port to switch) or what, to be quite honest. That may also be something relevant to the whole "Filter Multicast" setting anomalies in more current releases as well.

@kerryhall: Which version of the WNDR4500 do you have? V1/V2 are Broadcom, V3 is Atheros. I still have to flash up to current releases with the Station / Station Bridge mode name changes, etc. to step through other edits. If you aren't on the current release (49418), you should be.

----------------------
egc
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 8:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
For now assuming it is a v1 or v2 so Broadcom and I will transfer this thread to the appropriate forum

See the forum guidelines with helpful pointers about how to research your router, where and what firmware to download, where and how to post and many other helpful tips:
https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=324087

Attached my notes how I do it (not saying it is the only or the best way)

note I do not touch Operating Mode, I just leave it in its default Gateway mode Smile

Edit: updated to v5

DDWRT Wireless Bridge v5.pdf
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  DDWRT Wireless Bridge v5.pdf
 Filesize:  412.71 KB
 Downloaded:  104 Time(s)

Forum Guide Lines (important read):https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=324087

Last edited by egc on Tue Aug 02, 2022 7:16; edited 1 time in total
kerryhall
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2022 23:40    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thank you everyone! It's a v1, with the brick style power adapter.

I just flashed the version straight from the wiki:
https://wiki.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Netgear_WNDR4500

Which the web interface tells me is:

"DD-WRT v24-sp2 (02/04/15) gig"

Where do I download version 49418?

Thank you!
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2022 1:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
https://download1.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/downloads/betas/2022/07-04-2022-r49418/netgear-wndr4500/

----------------------
kerryhall
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2022 7:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thank you. I upgraded to this latest version and disabled SFE (as described in the wiki) but still having issues with dhcp making it through the dd-wrt device.

I tried connecting a laptop to the base ap via wifi, and I see this in the network manager logs:

Code:
dhcp4: state changed unknown -> bound

So I know for a fact that dhcp is working through the base ap with no problems.

I then tried that same laptop on one of the lan ports of the dd-wrt device. Trying to use dhcp, it just times out. If I set a static IP for the laptop, it works immediately.

I also tried a second client, again connecting to one of the lan ports of the dd-wrt device, this time using dhclient. dhclient times out with "no dhcpoffers received."

So I think something about the dd-wrt device is preventing dhcp from working, but I'm not sure what it is.
Per Yngve Berg
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2022 9:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
You want the extra network on it's own IP sub-net?

You shall set it up as a wifi client and add a VAP with the new SSID.
kerryhall
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2022 9:49    Post subject: Reply with quote
I want it on the same subnet as the base AP. The router runs the dhcp server, which works great through the base AP, but sadly doesn't seem to work through the dd-wrt device.
GeeTek
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2022 7:00    Post subject: Reply with quote
Did you consider using an additional radio in AP mode instead of trying to make one radio do everything you want ?

You can put one radio in client bridge mode to the main AP and then wire another access point radio to it LAN to LAN. It will then be a single layer network and pass DHCP. Will also deliver full bandwidth instead of the 50% that the repeater bridge delivers.

You can still find the Asus RT-N12 for around $35

http://69.175.13.131:8015 Streaming Week-End Disco. Station Ripper V 1.1 will do.
Goto page 1, 2  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: