Linksys E2500 having issues with Windows 11 LAN Gaming?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
chris89
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2022 19:04    Post subject: Linksys E2500 having issues with Windows 11 LAN Gaming? Reply with quote
I have DD-WRT installed on my e2500. Not sure of the version off the top of my head but clients cannot ping or connect to each other & everything is dialed in, in Windows.

Thanks

Untitled.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  223.82 KB
 Viewed:  2155 Time(s)

Untitled.jpg

Screenshot (193).jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  217.13 KB
 Viewed:  2155 Time(s)

Screenshot (193).jpg

Sponsor
egc
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2022 19:20    Post subject: Reply with quote
The build number is always in the upper right hand corner.

In the first screenshot you posted the build number is right in front of you.

It is not only a very old build but also the worst build ever Wink

My advice upgrade to the latest build.

After upgrade reset to defaults and put settings in manually.

Read the forum guidelines so that you know where to get upgrades and many more helpful pointers:
https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=324087

Forum Guide Lines (important read):https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=324087
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2022 21:43    Post subject: Reply with quote
For reference only (Upgrade E2500 with 6 year old firmware. Path/firmware ?). I have seen folks upgrade directly to a K4.4 version without much issue, *BUT* with swconfig support in newer Broadcom builds, a hard reset is most likely necessary. Current release is 48741.

https://download1.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/downloads/betas/2022/04-26-2022-r48741/broadcom_K3X/

Going by your screenshots, I presume a v1 or v2:

https://wiki.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Linksys_E2500
https://wikidevi.wi-cat.ru/Linksys_E2500_v1
https://wikidevi.wi-cat.ru/Linksys_E2500_v2

300MHz single-core MIPS, not sure if you can even overclock the v1 or v2 to a higher speed.

DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
chris89
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2022 0:51    Post subject: Reply with quote
dd-wrt.v24-48741_NEWD-2_K3.x_mega-e2500.bin

That's what I just installed on my e2500 v1 router (I checked the sticker on the bottom). I don't know if it's working on his computer yet. We all have fresh copies of Windows 11 installed so we should be most compatible with each other. I'll update the thread later.

*Update*
It's working, I turned on Frame Burst since we only have 3 clients connected. Should I have it on or off for LAN gaming? Anyway it started lagging for all the users connected to the server (Call Of Duty WWII Local Play). Anyway to fix the lag other than with ethernet cables?
Alozaros
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2022 3:31    Post subject: Reply with quote
chris89 wrote:
dd-wrt.v24-48741_NEWD-2_K3.x_mega-e2500.bin

That's what I just installed on my e2500 v1 router (I checked the sticker on the bottom). I don't know if it's working on his computer yet. We all have fresh copies of Windows 11 installed so we should be most compatible with each other. I'll update the thread later.

*Update*
It's working, I turned on Frame Burst since we only have 3 clients connected. Should I have it on or off for LAN gaming? Anyway it started lagging for all the users connected to the server (Call Of Duty WWII Local Play). Anyway to fix the lag other than with ethernet cables?

Win 11 sucks...
well... lag could come from anywhere, settings, Win 11 compatibility, drivers and ect, as well your router is too old and with 300Mhz CPU, if your ISP provided speed is above 60Mbit it will saturate its CPU and you'd need a better router...check for R7800 even second hand will do...
we also dont know much about your router set up so if you need help give us all the details possible so more valuable help will come out of the box

TP-Link WR1043NDv2 -Gargoyle OS 1.15.x AP,DNS,QoS,Quotas
Qualcomm-Atheros
Netgear XR500 --DD-WRT 55460 Gateway/DoH,Forced DNS,AP Isolation,4VLAN,Ad-Block,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R7800 --DD-WRT 55460 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,Forced DNS,AP&Net Isolation,x3VLAN,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R9000 --DD-WRT 55363 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,AP Isolation,Firewall,Forced DNS,x2VLAN,Vanilla
Broadcom
Netgear R7000 --DD-WRT 55460 Gateway/SmartDNS/DoH,AD-Block,Firewall,Forced DNS,x3VLAN,VPN
NOT USING 5Ghz ANYWHERE
------------------------------------------------------
Stubby DNS over TLS I DNSCrypt v2 by mac913
chris89
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2022 14:10    Post subject: Reply with quote
We are using it for LAN only, not online at all so the WAN is absolutely meaningless. So would overclocking the routers CPU boost performance for WiFi lag over LAN only?

My configuration is default complete defaults with Wireless SSID AP changed to "GAMING" & setup a WPA2 password & set TX Power to 999 to boost range as much as possible. That's it.

Thanks
IONK
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2022 16:41    Post subject: Reply with quote
aside from the possible hardware limitations mentioned by others, I also see that you didn't follow the recommended wireless settings: BCM Best Wifi Settings

personal opinion: I don't think you need a high end router for 3 PCs LAN gaming. Of course you can plug in the ethernet cables to immediately get the 100Mbps link speed and forget about the wireless problems, but I think you can spend some more time on the wireless settings, in case the lag is due to some bad settings. Try 5GHz band for less interference. Use some wifi analyzer app to check which wireless channel is best.

After you're happy with your settings, you can take a few screenshots of the wireless basic/advanced pages and post here, so that the other experts can take a look.
You can also take a screenshot of the bandwidth and sysinfo page while running the game, to see how much bandwidth is needed and whether the router's cpu is the bottleneck.

DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2022 17:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
Wired Ethernet > Wifi IRT gaming. That's your biggest problem right there. Not going to address the wifi sticky.

----------------------
chris89
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2022 18:50    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thank you all for the replies by the way. So here are my screenshots of Wireless basic & advanced. By the way it is written that on the e2500, dual band is disabled while using dd-wrt & only the 2.4ghz band works. Should I go back to stock firmware so I can use the 5ghz band? How do I go back to stock firmware anyway, do you have a link to the stock e2500 firmware? By way way I have a Linksys EA8500 that lags over wifi lan gaming the same way, on the 2.4ghz band at least (never tested the 5ghz band because of its limited range & signal strength). Each user is gaming from 25-75 feet away from the router through walls is why.

wifi advanced settings.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  211.06 KB
 Viewed:  1971 Time(s)

wifi advanced settings.jpg

wifi basic settings.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  181.1 KB
 Viewed:  1974 Time(s)

wifi basic settings.jpg

blkt
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2022 21:00    Post subject: Reply with quote
In a perfect environment Ethernet always wins, compared to wireless in sync critical gaming, every single time.

First person shooters, fighting games and so on you want full-duplex Ethernet and CSMA/CD collision detection.

Even if latencies are somehow exactly the same, these very important features do make a noticable difference.
angler
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2022 22:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
IIRC, N-only isn't recommended(or was broken) - NG mixed may help.
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2022 23:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
On Basic Wifi Settings:
Set Wireless Network Mode to N/G-Mixed
Set a channel, do not use auto channel
Set Sensitivity Range (Ack Timing) to 1350

On Advanced Wifi Settings:
Set Preamble to Short;
Set Shortslot Override to Short
Set Tx Power to Auto or 40mW
If you have bluetooth devices involved,
Set Bluetooth Coexistence Mode to Preemption (or Disable)

----------------------
native_tx
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2022 0:08    Post subject: Reply with quote
chris89 wrote:
Thank you all for the replies by the way. So here are my screenshots of Wireless basic & advanced. By the way it is written that on the e2500, dual band is disabled while using dd-wrt & only the 2.4ghz band works. Should I go back to stock firmware so I can use the 5ghz band? How do I go back to stock firmware anyway, do you have a link to the stock e2500 firmware? By way way I have a Linksys EA8500 that lags over wifi lan gaming the same way, on the 2.4ghz band at least (never tested the 5ghz band because of its limited range & signal strength). Each user is gaming from 25-75 feet away from the router through walls is why.

How much total bandwidth are you working with and how many other players are in this party?

Does the Linksys EA8500 act as the primary router for your network and the E2500 configured as a dump access point?

Some configuration can sometimes result in bad performance over wifi but if the EA8500 is the primary router then you may need to open a new thread in the appropriate forum.

There are a few other questions but this should be good for now.

regards
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: