will this setup work

nyddwrtuser330
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2022 3:15    Post subject: will this setup work Reply with quote
Unfortunately due to support issues i need to mobve from cable to FIOS.

I would like to end up in a FIOS supported config without losing any features related to the tv box or phone. Unfortunately that means teh fios router becomes primary, even if i dont use it.

So with that said, i have a multi router r9k/r7800 currently setup. If i disable the wan interface on the what is now the primary (r9K), can i still use it as a dhcp, andmore importantly a DNS server.

I have a bunch of manual entries, dnscrypt, filtering, and active capture tied to dns. Want to make sure none of the resolution breaks if i have no wan interface. is it just a matter of specifying the FIOS router IP as the gateway in setup tab, network setup?
Sponsor
blkt
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2022 14:19    Post subject: Reply with quote
Depends on the ISP and equipment they provide. ISP hardware configured bridge mode you are good to go.

Without a true bridge mode maybe IP passthrough, DMZ 'transparent' or 'plus' modes otherwise double NAT.
nyddwrtuser330
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2022 14:49    Post subject: Reply with quote
@blkt - the idea is that the new 9k would be in AP Mode and not router it would be in the sam lan as the isp provided client lan, so it should not be doing any natting

now there will be issues with vpn termination, but thats a separate problem i may be able to resolve with ISp router
05dyna
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2022 15:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
If you are moving from a cable ISP to Fios you should realize the Fios TV service, TV guide and phone onscreen caller ID are reliant on the Fios router. So the Fios router will always be the primary router if you want the TV service to function correctly.

Years back when we first got Fios it was an easy transition to your own dd-wrt router with a MoCA adapter to use their TV service. We did it that way for several years. We’ve been “cord cutters” for last couple of years so we’re only internet customers now. From what I’ve seen recently you have to activate the latest version of Set Top Boxes with the Verizon router, not sure if that means after activation use could replace theirs with yours and if it could deactivate at some point. At that point you'd still need a MoCA adapter. In the old days you could re-use the OLDER Fios routers as the adapter so you didn't need to buy one.

The Fios fanboys on DSLreports don’t recommend using your own router with the TV service. Perhaps it still could be done with some creative port forwarding but it would likely end up being a Rube Goldberg setup. I think the best you could do it double-nat your dd-wrt router or run it in access point mode only. For myself the goal always was to always to remove their router and use my own. Try the VZ forums https://forums.verizon.com/ , maybe they have more updated info
nyddwrtuser330
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2022 19:31    Post subject: Reply with quote
05dyna,

Thats primarily whats driving this question, i know i will kep their router as primary gateway. I dont want to lose the custom DNS stuff, restrictions etc i have configured. So if my router supplies the dhcp and dns, i dont really care if ther router is doing the l3 routing.

Also my APs perfectly cover the entire interior as well as my exterior yards. i dont want to pull them, their should be no reason they can act as AP.

I assume i cant just configure the same SSID from my WDS pair to the fios Box without creating some trouble, so my solution is to just have a separate one.
05dyna
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2022 15:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
FWIW this thread went up yesterday,

https://www.dslreports.com/forum/r33395663-Unifi-Router-as-primary-with-FIOS-G1100

the way I read it looks like bridge mode works the older Verizon G1100 and no mention for their latest models. If you going as a new customer you’ll get their 3100 or the latest model which IIRC could also work with the 5G cellular Internet service. The G1100’s are nearing the end of their service life and could be found on eBay for about $40 (US) or less.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: