Retaining external IP address with OVPN

Welly
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2022 13:40    Post subject: Retaining external IP address with OVPN Reply with quote
Hi,

I'm running DD-WRT v3.0-r48362 std (02/15/22) on a Netgear R7000 with OpenVPN 2.5.5 and PureVPN.

Using Real-Debrid, some of the external IP addresses provided by PureVPN are blocked, others are allowed. There seems to be no way to select/control these external IPs possibly apart from paying for a fixed IP.

Is there any way to configure OpenVPN so that it uses/retains the same external IP address (one that is not blocked by Real-Debrid)? I think probably not, as these are issued by the VPN provider, but hoping somebody will know otherwise...
Sponsor
eibgrad
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2022 18:37    Post subject: Reply with quote
You could configure your own VPS w/ OpenVPN server. Most VPS providers will provide a static IP. Of course, a static IP somewhat defeats the purpose of using a VPN in the first place. At least if your requirements include a public IP that can't be directly tied back to you.

Otherwise, if you depend on your typical OpenVPN provider, you have no say in the public IP used short of paying for the privilege (assuming it's an option).

ddwrt-ovpn-split-basic.sh (UPDATED!) * ddwrt-ovpn-split-advanced.sh (UPDATED!) * ddwrt-ovpn-client-killswitch.sh * ddwrt-ovpn-client-watchdog.sh * ddwrt-ovpn-remote-access.sh * ddwrt-ovpn-client-backup.sh * ddwrt-mount-usb-drives.sh * ddwrt-blacklist-domains.sh * ddwrt-wol-port-forward.sh * ddwrt-dns-monitor.sh (NEW!)
Welly
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2022 8:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks for your suggestion... I'll look into VPS as an option and weigh up the pros/cons.

PureVPN do offer a static IP address but it seems disproportionately expensive so I have already discounted that option.
egc
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2022 8:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
The OpenVNP Server setup guide has some links to setup a free Oracle or AWS server.

I am using the free Oracle Cloud server with OpenVPN access server and a WireGuard server.

But as @eibgrad said you have a fixed address and your credentials are known

Forum Guide Lines (important read):https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=324087
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Advanced Networking All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: