Can't set password after loading factory defaults

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
lorenhsu
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2022 9:06    Post subject: Can't set password after loading factory defaults Reply with quote
Hi all,

I got a Baffalo WZR-HP-G450H, running r48567. For some reasons I have to restore to factory default with a 30s reset, however, after that, I can only get to the control panel as below pic, and enter the new password in the 2nd, 3rd input box and leave the first one untouched, then click change password button, it just turns into changing password but nothing happen afterward. BTW, the browser is a Firefox 99.0. Linux x64 version.

I then tried several times 30s reset, even a 30/30/30 reset and power cycles. No help, still get the same control panel page, and the password changing behaves the same.

It seems that the DHCP server is working, since I can get a 192.168.1.x IP when I connect my laptop to one of the LAN ports.

I guess it could be some part of FW is corrupted so the script to change password is not working. As nothing to lose I then try flash the device using tftp. With total 3 different FWs I tried, wzr_hp_g450h-dd-wrt-webupgrade-MULTI.bin of r48567 (original) and r48646, and the factory image of OpenWRT (openwrt-21.02.3-ath79-generic-buffalo_wzr-hp-g450h-squashfs-factory). After cycling the power, they all fail to recover it, the control panel page is still there and can't change password, even after flashing the OpenWRT FW.

One observation, the tftp transfer should be good, since I can see the image being written to the device and ended normally in the network trace.

Just not sure whether the image flashing did happen or not, since the DIAG LED just did a quick flash, maybe 1 or 2 secs, after the tftp transfer done.

Question: is the FW to recover a device with tftp the same as the webupgrade? If not, where can I get one for tftp?

I guess this might well fit a general question category too, but I post here in the hope that more specific resolutions for Atheros devices can be found. Any hints are appreciated.

Thanks,
Loren
Sponsor
ho1Aetoo
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2022 9:15    Post subject: Reply with quote
All questions that have already been answered a thousand times in the forum.

1. no you can't flash webupgrade.bin via TFTP, you need the factory-to-ddwrt.bin
2. take a complete screenshot so we can see the address bar
3. clear your browser cache (CTRL+F5)
4. best use "root" as username
5. not all characters are allowed as password see > https://wiki.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Web_Interface#Username_and_Password
6. default address of the WebIF is http://192.168.1.1/
lorenhsu
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2022 12:11    Post subject: Reply with quote
ho1Aetoo wrote:

1. no you can't flash webupgrade.bin via TFTP, you need the factory-to-ddwrt.bin

Thanks, this is the answer I am looking for. I did search the forums for the differences between the factory-to-ddwrt and webflash images, but only got one hit, and it did not mention tftp recovery.
Wildlion
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2022 16:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have had that happen before...

ensure that ad-blocking is off and scripts are enabled

refresh the page

some of the new browsers can cause this ... I have a special original profile setup on firefox which is pretty much the defaults just to use for things like this
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2022 18:28    Post subject: Re: Can't set password after loading factory defaults Reply with quote
lorenhsu wrote:
I then tried several times 30s reset, even a 30/30/30 reset and power cycles. No help, still get the same control panel page, and the password changing behaves the same.

You don't do a 30s or 30/30/30 on Atheros.

DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
lorenhsu
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2022 1:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks all for the reply. Just want to update the status and close the case. After tftp the factory-to-ddwrt.bin (r48646) to the router, I can get the change password page working, only one minor thing, the version string still has "DD-WRT v3.0-r48567 std (03/23/22)". Aside from that, it has been up and running for more than 24 hrs.

kernel-panic69 wrote:

You don't do a 30s or 30/30/30 on Atheros.

Yep, this is what I think could be the root cause of this one, I did a 30s to restore factory defaults but unfortunately left it in the recovery state. Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: