Off topic question...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Hardware DIY / Hardware Mods
nonsuchpro
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2022 9:21    Post subject: Off topic question... Reply with quote
Hey all.
It's probably been about 15 years since I've played around with dd-wrt. I've successfully loaded it on at least 3 different routers in the 2000s for fun. I had no real reason to do so, just had a bunch of routers lying around I wasn't using and I love to repurpose. Of course back then, the hardware was slower and I'm sure it's a lot better today. Which brings me to a slightly off-topic question I have: I have 4 or 5 hardware DVRs that I'm looking to repurpose and I immediately thought back to dd-wrt when I loaded it up on routers back in the day. Has anybody tried to do something like this with DVRs? They have so many more resources and are basically like SBCs! It would be fun to be able to load/flash a Linux on them in place of the embedded OSs they currently have. I can think of a lot of cool things that can be done with them having an HDMI port, USB, internal Hard Drives, multiple Audio inputs, IR, RS485 and of course a Lan port and possibly WiFi. I thought of asking on a CCTV forum but those forums are really just a bunch of users of the DVRs as-is. Anyway just curious about the idea.
Thanks for reading!
Sponsor
Wildlion
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2022 16:20    Post subject: Reply with quote
You are going to need to know what the processor architecture is and then hopefully the distribution that you install supports all of the drivers...

DD-WRT takes advantage of teh fact that Linux has lots of these drivers, but BrainSlayer has agreements with vendors to get some, while others are just binary blobs from the vendors.

Yes it is possible but depends on how much effort you want to put into it
feliciano
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2023 20:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
As you know, dd-wrt apply to WiFi routers, hence there's not support for other pieces of hardware rather than the SOC, Flash, Switch, and Radio(s). Therefore assuming your devices has simillar components to some of the already supported, "maybe" something could be done. But if you want to include other hardware, I would look some other projects and for each case ponder the effort/beneffits of such project.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Hardware DIY / Hardware Mods All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: