DD-WRT and WAN Connection Stability Feedback (Not Help)

madmacks59
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2022 16:33    Post subject: DD-WRT and WAN Connection Stability Feedback (Not Help) Reply with quote
I’m running stock Netgear router (Nighthawk AX5 RAX30) equipment but have problems with the router more or less hanging when WAN connectivity is lost for more than a few dozen second. This is a big PITA for me as I have multiple routers in AP mode, a microwave link to an outbuilding, and a home grown “smart home” and when my environment loses internet connectivity things hang up and require reboots.

I’ve loaded an older Netgear R6700 router with the latest build of DD-WRT and things seem to work fine when testing that router as a stand alone set up. I’m getting ready to deploy the R6700 as my main router (rather than the RAX30) but am curious how well DD-WRT deals with dropped WAN connections? Does it tend to hang the router? Or does it recover and reconnect in a reasonable way when internet connectivity recovers?

If you have experience on DD-WRT and unstable internet connectivity and how well DD-WRT deals with it I’d appreciate getting your feedback.
Sponsor
Alozaros
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2022 18:15    Post subject: Reply with quote
Using all my DDWRT routers...i've never had any problems with WAN up/down situation...a Q point is to give a router static IP it helps a lot...but if your ISP provides dynamic IP, than you need to leave it to auto...but even thou i've never had issues...
Make sure you use the last build as it has all recent security patches..https://download1.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/downloads/betas/2022/

48646 is the last for now...

P.S. had to edit the last build number...as i nearly digitized BS and sent him into year 3000...
Peace, Love and Eternal life to all of you !

TP-Link WR1043NDv2 -Gargoyle OS 1.15.x AP,DNS,QoS,Quotas
Qualcomm-Atheros
Netgear XR500 --DD-WRT 55779 Gateway/DoH,Forced DNS,AP Isolation,4VLAN,Ad-Block,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R7800 --DD-WRT 55779 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,Forced DNS,AP&Net Isolation,x3VLAN,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R9000 --DD-WRT 55779 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,AP Isolation,Firewall,Forced DNS,x2VLAN,Vanilla
Broadcom
Netgear R7000 --DD-WRT 55460 Gateway/SmartDNS/DoH,AD-Block,Firewall,Forced DNS,x3VLAN,VPN
NOT USING 5Ghz ANYWHERE
------------------------------------------------------
Stubby DNS over TLS I DNSCrypt v2 by mac913

Last edited by Alozaros on Thu Apr 21, 2022 17:24; edited 1 time in total
blkt
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2022 7:58    Post subject: Reply with quote
Alozaros wrote:
486464 it the last for now...

In the year 3000, BrainSlayer has successfully uploaded into digital form continuing work at build r486464...
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2022 15:37    Post subject: Reply with quote
blkt wrote:
Alozaros wrote:
486464 it the last for now...

In the year 3000, BrainSlayer has successfully uploaded into digital form continuing work at build r486464...

DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
Alozaros
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2022 17:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

TP-Link WR1043NDv2 -Gargoyle OS 1.15.x AP,DNS,QoS,Quotas
Qualcomm-Atheros
Netgear XR500 --DD-WRT 55779 Gateway/DoH,Forced DNS,AP Isolation,4VLAN,Ad-Block,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R7800 --DD-WRT 55779 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,Forced DNS,AP&Net Isolation,x3VLAN,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R9000 --DD-WRT 55779 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,AP Isolation,Firewall,Forced DNS,x2VLAN,Vanilla
Broadcom
Netgear R7000 --DD-WRT 55460 Gateway/SmartDNS/DoH,AD-Block,Firewall,Forced DNS,x3VLAN,VPN
NOT USING 5Ghz ANYWHERE
------------------------------------------------------
Stubby DNS over TLS I DNSCrypt v2 by mac913
DWCruiser
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2022 19:31    Post subject: Re: DD-WRT and WAN Connection Stability Feedback (Not Help) Reply with quote
madmacks59 wrote:
I’m running stock Netgear router (Nighthawk AX5 RAX30) equipment but have problems with the router more or less hanging when WAN connectivity is lost for more than a few dozen second. .....

I’ve loaded an older Netgear R6700 router ....

Without knowing your setup in detail, here is a shot in the dark: check the power supply.

First, I would check the RAX30's power supply adapter. (power supply adapters do not have an indefinite working life. Symptoms of reliability appear before they eventually ... die).

Next check the power supply source (i.e. at the specific wall socket) is not overloaded with so many devices drawing power from it. This issue is more common than understood.

Lastly, i don't know of any user who is knowledgeable about DD-WRT with interests in Netgear routers would make the R6700 as a main router, today, especially in a complex setup like yours (from what you wrote).

Good luck.

P.S. Other posters are laughing because your post is kinda challenge their orthodoxy. Very Happy

Navigation

Jump to: