IP packet queuing in QoS

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Winston
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2022 11:54    Post subject: IP packet queuing in QoS Reply with quote
Hey guys,

Can somebody please explain how the QoS priority levels impact the IP packet priority for each network node? I'm on a 100Mb downstream VDSL connection (40Mb upstream), configured as 90Mb and 30Mb max bandwidth for QoS. What I would like to do is prioritize my own PC's IP packets (TCP and UDP) for gaming over the other PCs in my network, without gobbling up 75+% of the bandwidth. I don't need a high minimum bandwidth, but switching from At the moment, I am using netmask priorities to manage my network QoS, but it's not ideal. If I set my PC's IP to Maximum, my ping to google.com is a solid 19-22ms. On Premium, the ping times increase to 30-50ms?

Here is the weird thing: Using wireless connections, switching to Maximum reserves the minimum 75% bandwidth for my PC, regardless of if I am using it or not? I tested this with a PC at Standard priority, downloading a game as fast as it could. The second I switched to Maximum, the Standard priority PC's download rate reduced to below 1MB/s, even when my computer wasn't downloading or accessing anything? Surely I can configure my PC to have a lowish ping without reserving so much bandwidth?

Router config:
R7000P
VDSL2 100/40Mbit, PPPoE (MTU 1492)
Rest of the info is attached Smile

router QoS 2022.png
 Description:
WAN, WLAN and QoS settings.
 Filesize:  434.17 KB
 Viewed:  652 Time(s)

router QoS 2022.png

Sponsor
native_tx
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2022 17:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
which build # do have now?

In case you have noticed there are 4 sets of priority in dd-wrt and the tcp-packet priorty, the 4 are by service, interface, netmask and mac the "help" on the side can give a bit more information.

On how it makes a difference it depends on you the user preference and how they will implement qos on their network and this range from simple to complex, ip packet queuing would depend on what device will have priority by one of 4 mentioned priorities dd-wrt has.

If you set one of your pc's for mac priority and rememeber if you read the "help" this gives priority over other devices, with setting tcp/udp ports within service priority should get your ip packet priority, you can set priority by manual, maximum, premium, express, standard and bulk depending on your network needs be sure to read the "help" on the side page.

If your setup is working for you just make sure to keep things simple since you have a network with plenty of bandwidth and it maybe a matter of setting a particular device application for priority to ensure it will have priority over other applications, but if applications are suffering from ping spikes, lag during games, buffering in video streaming, then turn off qos and check if you are receiving proper amount of bandwidth from your provider, speed test in other words, use tracert or traceroute for high ping spikes, modem/router issues, check with provider, sometimes it maybe out of your hands to fix, hope this helps some.

Regards
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: