USB hard drive no longer sleeps on newer versions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.)
Ethari
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 14:18    Post subject: USB hard drive no longer sleeps on newer versions Reply with quote
Hi,

I have a WRT1200AC. I've been using v38142 for about a year and everything has been great, but I felt it was time to try a newer version to take advantage of any improvements to DD-WRT.

I have a Seagate 8TB (STGY8000400) external hard drive connected to the USB and set up as a NAS. I have set its power settings (via Seagate's Dashboard app) to go to sleep after 1 hour of inactivity, because I rarely use the NAS and would rather not have the drive spinning for days without use. This works absolutely fine on v38142.

Unfortunately, after updating to v40559, I noticed the drive no longer sleeps when it's inactive. I tried v41954 as well, and it doesn't sleep with that version either. I've returned to v38142 and it again sleeps after an hour of inactivity like normal.

I can only assume a change at some point since v38142 is causing continual/periodic activity on the hard drive that is preventing it from sleeping, or some lower level driver issue.

It would be great if this could be investigated and hopefully fixed! I will have to stick with v38142 indefinitely otherwise.

Thanks very much Smile
Sponsor
blkt
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 19:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
The router database hasn't been updated in 6 months; see these directories for all the newer builds.

https://download1.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/downloads/betas/2019/

https://download1.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/downloads/betas/2020/

I'm running 12-29-2019-r41813 currently and waiting for the next build to release after 01-14-2020-r41986, but that's just me.

There are build threads for each if you want to read about user experiences.

01-14-2020-r41986 build thread
Ethari
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:59    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks, I've already tried the newer builds on the forum:
Quote:
I tried v41954 as well, and it doesn't sleep with that version either.

I will try r41986, but I'm doubting it will have made any difference since r41954.

Do the developers read these threads? Or is there somewhere else to report this as a bug apart the forums?
Edit: I could reply to the release thread if that's the appropriate place for bug reporting?
blkt
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 22:27    Post subject: Reply with quote
Well, it may or may not be a bug. I did a brief search for hard drive hdd sleep spin down standby etc and found these two.

https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=320497

https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=1049487

If you think it's really a problem with the firmware and not a missing command or manufacturer hard drive utility setting etc then you can open a ticket on the SVN. Scroll up and click the Bugtracker link.
Ethari
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks for the advice. My concern actually isn't energy usage, but lifespan of the drive. I rarely use the drive (once or twice a week at most) so it's pointless to keep it spinning when it's not being used for 95% of the time. It also isn't a NAS drive, so it's not rated for 24/7 use.

Also, if I'm being really picky, I can hear the drive spinning when the room's quiet (it's in an open cabinet beneath the TV, and it bugs me!).

I'd rather just have it correctly spin-down when not in use. If I can't get a solution to this, I might look into a proper NAS or even making a basic one with a Raspberry Pi (that has USB 3.0, providing its speed will match that the router can provide). Or just never update DD-WRT! But I'd rather be able to update.

Quote:
I've tried registering on the bugtracker, but clicking 'Create account' isn't working. It loads for a good 5 minutes (on Chrome, Firefox and IE. On Opera I get 'ERR_EMPTY_RESPONSE'), then gives me an empty error message box with a CAPTCHA request. Completing the CAPTCHA request just puts me in an endless loop Sad

I tried keeping the 'optional' fields empty in case it's the same deal as registering here on the forum, but still no luck.

Edit: Registering seems to have worked now!
blkt
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 22:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
Is it a 7200RPM drive? If so it's the wrong drive for the task. I agree with d0ug about everything including spin up/down and thermal changes; these do much more physical wear than leaving it up and running.
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 23:34    Post subject: Reply with quote
The default spin-down time is an hour of idle on the drive, per BrainSlayer in your ticket:

https://svn.dd-wrt.com/ticket/6956

If in fact, it is not spinning down at or after an hour of idle time, then there may be an issue. I personally think it is your Seagate app conflicting with DD-WRT. Let the router firmware do it's deed and don't introduce a third-party to the problem, i.e. your Seagate dashboard app. It is conflicting with the router firmware, more than likely.

DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
ICebeegreemy
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2022 12:29    Post subject: Reply with quote
It's an unpleasant situation when you want to try a more advanced product, but the equipment refuses to function properly. Something similar happened to a good friend of mine. After installing the v41954 update, the drive stopped hibernating. But the non-stop mode nearly caused the loss of all data from the disk during a power surge. My friend even had to contact SalvageData for https://www.salvagedata.com/. Now he also went back to version 38142 to not risk any more personal data from the hard drive. But I know that he is looking for a way out of this situation, but so far, to no avail.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.) All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: