I think I screwed up my router...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.)
yonaton
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2022 16:54    Post subject: I think I screwed up my router... Reply with quote
Hi gang,

I have a Linksys WRT1900ACS (version 1). I've been using it with my own downloaded version(s) of DD-WRT for several years, always without any trouble.

A couple of weeks ago I finally got moved in to my house and unfortunately had to get satellite internet (Viasat) because the house is way out in the woods.

Naturally, I went ahead and hooked up my system(s) and hooked up my router to the Viasat modem. For some reason the router wasn't seeing the modem (or vice-versa?).

I was trying to fiddle with settings in the router and in it, somewhere (I can't remember where, sorry), I changed a option from eth0 to eth1 and BAM!...suddenly my computer can't log in to my router anymore.

I have no idea how to get into my router to find my goof-up and change it back. What is eth1 anyway? Have I bricked my router? Does anyone have any suggestions how I can fix this mess? I hate not having my router working and no VPN.
Sponsor
ho1Aetoo
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2022 17:03    Post subject: Reply with quote
Simply press and hold the reset button on the back of the router until the router reboots.

Do not panic
egc
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2022 17:11    Post subject: Reply with quote
Questions about your router can better be asked in the appropriate Marvell forum to which I will transfer this thread.

The General forum is not for router help.

See the forum guidelines with helpful pointers about how to research your router, where and what firmware to download, where and how to post and many other helpful tips:
https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=324087

Forum Guide Lines (important read):https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=324087
Monza
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2022 18:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
You might also try, if you have not already, is to reboot both the router and modem to allow them to negotiate.

Some modems often need to get to know the new router or visa versa . . . some don't care at all. Just something to try.
the-joker
DD-WRT Developer/Maintainer

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2022 7:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
The power cycle is the best option (after you reset your router and reconfigure).

While making sure your router is flashed with latest firmware available http://ftp.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/downloads/betas/2022/03-23-2022-r48567/ and has had a nvram reset and reconfigured for good measure.

Usually here, I power off actual power plug disconnected the Antenna/modem first;

You may want to goto Status tab -> WAN tab and click [ DHCP Release ] button before rebooting the router.

After around a minute or so I power the antenna back up and on reboot the router and give it some time to finish booting around 40 seconds to a minute to be safe.

If after 10/20 max seconds you dont get an IP from modem, you may want to try Setup tab -> MAC Address Clone tab and click the [ Clone PC MAC address ] and click save and apply (rinse an repeat above powercycle). Ask your ISP if they locked your service to a specific MAC address, if so thats the MAC address you must input on the MAC Address clone page.

If nothing works post configuration screenshots of your config.

DD-WRT Inspired themes for the SVN Trac & FTP site
Join in for a chat @ #style_it_themes_public:matrix.org or #style_it_themes:discord

DD-WRT UI Themes Bug Reporting and Discussion thread

Router: ANus RT-AC68U E1 (recognized as C1)
yonaton
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2022 8:56    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi guys,

Well, the reset button didn't work (I held it until I saw the router light come back on). Rebooting both the modem and the router didn't work either.

The router, no matter which of the four connect holes I use from the computer to it, will have a white, large 'T' and a dot next to it. I'm guessing this means 'Trouble' maybe?

Any other ideas? I honestly appreciate the help, and I'm simply too broke, living on disability, to buy another good router.
the-joker

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2022 9:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
You probably didn't connect the modem to the WAN port of router, you cant just connect the modem to ANY port, usually the WAN port (where you connect the modem) is a different color or else will be marked differently.

Something like this http://appletechtalk.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/08/Linksys-WRT1900ACS-Rear2.jpg In this jpeg the modem should be connected to the yellow port, and if you're color blind that's the port to the right that is labeled INTERNET or WAN, when looking at the router from the back.

All other ports are for connecting your computer/laptop via a Ethernet cable

Also not possible that reset, did not restore WEB interface access, are you sure you are using the correct IP for the router when accessing the WEB UI? When you rest it changes to default.

Also make sure your PC where you are accessing the UI is connected to a Ethernet port not the WAN/Internet port. Im just doubling donw on right setup vs wrong setup (since you seem to be confused)

Also T does not mean Trouble, this shows that you have no familiarity with the equipment you own, which translates into doing things the wrong way and then blaming the tools for what is likely user error.

There is nothing wrong with the router the issue likely lies with the person sitting on the computer chair. Rolling Eyes Cool Very Happy

Join in for a chat @ #style_it_themes_public:matrix.org or #style_it_themes:discord

Last edited by the-joker on Fri Apr 08, 2022 10:47; edited 6 times in total
ho1Aetoo
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2022 9:34    Post subject: Reply with quote
yonaton wrote:
The router, no matter which of the four connect holes I use from the computer to it, will have a white, large 'T' and a dot next to it. I'm guessing this means 'Trouble' maybe?

maybe read the manual instead of asking in a forum what the LED's mean? Rolling Eyes

T - is the primary status LED and indicates whether devices are connected
. - is the secondary status LED and indicates the speed (10/100/1000Mbit)
the-joker

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2022 10:49    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hardware Reset – Press and hold the Reset button at the back panel of the router for 10 seconds then release. I would make this 30 seconds just to be sure it sticks.

You can also access the router via Telnet using putty and issuing the command nvram reset && reboot

But you need to know the router IP, Telnet port is 23 (putty knows this anywho) and also Telnet is enabled by Default in DD-WRT afaik.

kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2022 15:56    Post subject: Reply with quote
the-joker wrote:
Hardware Reset – Press and hold the Reset button at the back panel of the router for 10 seconds then release. I would make this 30 seconds just to be sure it sticks.

You don't want to hold down the button for 30 seconds on Marvell.

https://www.linksys.com/us/support-article?articleNum=178015#A7

This may be an issue of both LAN of router and modem being on the same subnet.

DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
yonaton
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2022 22:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
the-joker wrote:
You probably didn't connect the modem to the WAN port of router, you cant just connect the modem to ANY port, usually the WAN port (where you connect the modem) is a different color or else will be marked differently. <snip>
All other ports are for connecting your computer/laptop via a Ethernet cable

Yes, I know this. As I'd stated in my original post I've been using this for several years and know how to set it up. There's no need to be snarky and start looking down your nose. If helping me is going to be a problem for you, better to just not post, it's a hell of a lot less rude.

the-joker wrote:
Also not possible that reset, did not restore WEB interface access, are you sure you are using the correct IP for the router when accessing the WEB UI? When you rest it changes to default.

Yes, it's supposed to be the IP. I'm using the same one I've used for years which is the stock on this router, but just in case I'll see if I can find the box it came in (it *is* several years old now and I may not have kept it or it got lost/misplaced in all the moves I've had to do of late).

the-joker wrote:
Also make sure your PC where you are accessing the UI is connected to a Ethernet port not the WAN/Internet port. Im just doubling donw on right setup vs wrong setup (since you seem to be confused)

Again, yes, this I know, it's not difficult to know these parts, but thanks for the reminder to not be so confused.

the-joker wrote:
Also T does not mean Trouble, this shows that you have no familiarity with the equipment you own, which translates into doing things the wrong way and then blaming the tools for what is likely user error.

Oh gosh! Oh noes! I'm not the tech guru you are and thus a peon and couldn't possibly be using anything correctly, especially the past several years! Heaven forbid someone doesn't have a bit of trouble for years and has no need to really read or learn all the little intricacies and become a router engineer and programmer for it.

Where, I ask you, am I "blaming the tools"?! I'm asking if anyone knows what I might have possibly done or missed doing trying to get it back up and running. I'm blaming myself. Your high-horse is choking on sawdust.

the-joker wrote:
There is nothing wrong with the router the issue likely lies with the person sitting on the computer chair. Rolling Eyes Cool Very Happy

Wow, I bet you think you're a real Sherlock(sp?) with that one.
the-joker

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2022 7:28    Post subject: Reply with quote
OK, I think you are getting frustrated and reacting rather than concentrating on the issues and replying to the things suggested to try.

You claimed to be plugging things like the modem to different ports on router, only one is right the INTERNET/WAN post all others are wrong by default, so I posted a back view and directed you to the right setup.

We still dont know your setup, no screenshots been posted of your router setup, no evidence of modem setup or where things are connected. etc...etc... ad nauseam.
We need to know the modem setup also and what happens when you connected directly to PC, like the status page of the PC Ethernet dialog where modem is connected to for a test, we need to know if your provider locks the service to a specific MAC address (its possible reason why an IP wont be dished to aother mac addresses, I explained how you can get around that), Ive tried to suggest a few things and yet no replies to any of those. SO I feel further frustrated because ignoring my possibly helpful suggestions, shows me, Im wasting my time with what seems like an impossible cause partially my fault I guess.

As a side note, I understand some of my comments may come across as snarky as you defined it, the intention was to draw attention that there is a right way and a wrong way to do things, what happened when it worked in the past is irrelevant, only what that the steps you are taking are not correct as you describe them (without evidence of screenshots pictures modem to router internet/wan port setup, so I can only reply to words and not evidence. Its incredibly frustrating to have what seems like minimal effort from help seeker (you). No one cant help you in any meaningful way, based on a couple of sentences that describe the symptoms. We need concrete evidence.

We need help from you with screenshots, and setup pictures and anything else that may help us to help you better. Try to be more forthcoming with what we request.

Now, Im having a rough personal life for the last 3 months ive no idea what will become of me if things continue on that front, so I'm extra impatient and stressed out and frustrated at reading (and lack of evidence screenshots etc) some of the things that are wrong and have no basis to be tried as any troubleshooting, and my usual enter key filter may not work as intended like in the past. It's not an excuse for any crap comments.

So, I will not reply again here as I abhor causing the opposite of the desired effect which is to help and guide in right direction.

I finally must apologize for any nonsense or perceived snarkyness, no matter my current personal issues, it has no place on the intrawebs.

Last edited by the-joker on Sat Apr 09, 2022 7:46; edited 4 times in total
egc
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2022 7:37    Post subject: Reply with quote
The Cliff notes, a sticky in this forum, will also show you some things to switch to the other partition and/or reset e.g. the three times toggle of the on/off switch and DDWRT has a five times toggle on/off for reset (unless changed in the default options or if you are running an old build)

https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=311117

Forum Guide Lines (important read):https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=324087
SurprisedItWorks
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2022 17:49    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'm on the way out the door, so quickly, just so you know...

On the WRT1900ACS, eth0 is internal interface to the Internet (WAN) port on the back, and eth1 is the internal interface to ports 1-4, which are connected together internally with a hardware ethernet switch.

2x Netgear XR500 and 3x Linksys WRT1900ACSv2 on 53544: VLANs, VAPs, NAS, station mode, OpenVPN client (AirVPN), wireguard server (AirVPN port forward) and clients (AzireVPN, AirVPN, private), 3 DNSCrypt providers via VPN.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.) All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: