[SOLVED]Cant get router to act as or pass on DNS

JackPollack
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2022 21:55    Post subject: [SOLVED]Cant get router to act as or pass on DNS Reply with quote
I must have accidentally changed a DNS setting in my router somewhere. Previously If I had a device on my network with a static IP I could still point the DNS setting of that device to the router as a DNS server (eg. printer has a fixed IP of 192.168.1.250, DNS setting for printer is 192.168.1.1).

If a device is configured for full DHCP DNS is still resolving correctly.

My Settings are:

Network Setup - Router IP - Local DNS is set to 192.168.1.1 (I also tried changing this to a valid DNS server with no success)

Network Address Server Settings (DHCP, Static DNS 1,2,3 are all set to real/valid DHCP servers
Sponsor
the-joker
DD-WRT Developer/Maintainer

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2022 6:46    Post subject: Reply with quote
Local DNS field is not necessary.

Im confused with your setup.

Quote:
Network Address Server Settings (DHCP, Static DNS 1,2,3 are all set to real/valid DHCP servers

Static DNS servers are not DHCP servers, you only need here to enter valid DNS servers and Check at the top Ignore WAN DNS.

For instance, my setup, on static DNS I enabled Ignore WAN DNS and on DNS field 1, I have 1.0.0.1 and on field 2 = 9.9.9.9 the third field is empty as one fallback is more than enough.

Please provide detailed screenshots that show your setup here - ctrl+shift+s on your browser when page you wish to screenshot is open.

DD-WRT Inspired themes for the SVN Trac & FTP site
Join in for a chat @ #style_it_themes_public:matrix.org or #style_it_themes:discord

DD-WRT UI Themes Bug Reporting and Discussion thread

Router: ANus RT-AC68U E1 (recognized as C1)
JackPollack
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2022 14:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
I understand that DHCP servers are not DNS servers. I was trying to say the DNS settings under the DHCP section.

This is what my config looks like, but devices with a static IP can't resolve when there DNS is set to 192.168.1.1 any longer for some reason

egc
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2022 14:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
If this is a normal gateway router then Gateway and Local DNS should be kept at default value 0.0.0.0

You disabled "Use DNSMasq for DNS" that means it does not work, you should keep that enabled

Forum Guide Lines (important read):https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=324087
JackPollack
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2022 15:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
thanks. that fixed it. Very Happy
the-joker
DD-WRT Developer/Maintainer

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2022 21:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
For good measure also enable Ignore WAN DNS further up the page so your defined DNS servers are used instead of your WAN DNS (what your ISP provides).
DD-WRT Inspired themes for the SVN Trac & FTP site
Join in for a chat @ #style_it_themes_public:matrix.org or #style_it_themes:discord

DD-WRT UI Themes Bug Reporting and Discussion thread

Router: ANus RT-AC68U E1 (recognized as C1)
JackPollack
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2022 22:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Advanced Networking All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: