Lan Network Not Reached in vbox

aldarmakizak
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2022 1:02    Post subject: Lan Network Not Reached in vbox Reply with quote
Hello,

I am trying to setup a virtual DD-WRT router in a Virtualbox machine. I have assigned two network adapters:
1: Bridge Adapter
2: Internal Network

When I first booted the machine I changed the IP address of "br0" to be accessible from the host machine web browser. Then, I tried to setup the WAN and LAN IP addresses and DHCP server from the web interface. However, when I boot another machine with the same Internal Network adapter, I can't reach the DD-WRT router IP address or the web interface.

I did ifconfig command and found that there are 3 network interfaces
1- br0 (with the LAN IP)
2- eth0 (with the WAN IP)
3- eth1 (no IP) -It is supposed to have the LAN IP-

Also, The MAC address of br0 and eth0 is the same despite that they have a different IP addresses.

I will appreciate it if someone can help me with this issue.
Sponsor
Per Yngve Berg
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2022 9:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
The IP address is on br0 for interfaces that are bridged in dd-wrt. This is normal.

Have you created another VM with a client OS to the Internal Network in point 2?

The Internal Network is internal and only accessible between VMs.

I presume dd-wrt have a WAN connection through the Bridged Interface.
aldarmakizak
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2022 13:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yes, I have a Kali vm connected to the same internal network where the DD-WRT router should work.

Yes, the WAN connection is working and I can ping the internet from the router terminal but, it does not route the traffic to the internal network where the Kali machine is located.

The problem is that br0 and eth0 are assigned to the same network card and each is supposed to have its own card (br0 is for the internal network and eth0 is for the WAN ). I tried to change the IP assignment manually using "ifconfig" and "nvram set" commands but it doesn't work.

I am trying to find a way to make the bridge to the internal lan assigned to the network card "eth1" which is the one with the "internal network" adapter in Vbox.
Per Yngve Berg
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2022 13:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
Setup->Networking->WAN Port Assignment=eth0
Wildlion
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2022 21:32    Post subject: Reply with quote
Just as a reference:

https://www.virtualbox.org/manual/ch06.html

On the internal network adapter, go into settings (of Virtualbox) and change the adapter to have Promiscuous mode to be: allow all

That fixes it and other VMs will have access.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> X86 based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: