[SOLVED] Asus RT-AC66U Crashing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2
TheDood
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2022 3:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
Quote:
See the last post in this thread about increasing ntp sync interval:

https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=318131

Checked the post and did not see which config file I should be editing and unless I am misreading it, it does not explicitly state how to set the NTP merely just to check your NTP config.

Quote:
As above, my current NTP is set to
Code:
ntp_timer=432000
Which is 120 Hours or 5 days.
Code:
nvram set ntp_timer=<your-desired-time-in-seconds>
nvram commit

As to the OP, I dont see any supporting evidence of a crash, services that depend on NTP will need to be restarted.

Now if, the services wouldn't restart or connectivity would be affected for more than the time required to restart services and connectivity to be restored all around, then it would be a bug/issue, otherwise its how its suppose to work afaik.

In any case, delay NTP updates to a value that suits both accurate time and usage needs. I have no complaints.

Also its noteworthy that recommended NTP setup router side, requires to leave the Server IP/Name empty.

Thank you for the config change guide. I just set it to match yours, but do you know if it would be possible to specify the date and time of the NTP sync? If this is inevitable then I would prefer to have this during off-hours.

"Crash" was a poor choice of words. I merely could not think of another word for describing - NTP syncs -> reloads -> restarts services -> drops wired and wireless network -> connections re-established after 2-5 minutes.

I understand the need for service restarts and I understand how that would impact connectivity, but I don't know why these interruptions are now more noticeable then before. I am assuming that NTP was enabled and I am assuming that it was updating at its current rate, but I have do not recall ever previously experienced these aggressive interruptions. Is there something else I should be looking at in my routers configuration?

The only significant change that I can think I have made was the addition of a L3 switch, and the creation of routing tables to connection the switches VLANs to my LAN and vice-versa. Of which you can see my routing table config -

Code:
default   REDACTED   default      0   WAN   
10.10.10.0/24   192.168.1.2   default      0   LAN & WLAN   
10.10.20.0/24   192.168.1.2   default      0   LAN & WLAN   
X.X.X.0/24      default   link   0   WAN   X.X.X.X
127.0.0.0/8      default   link   0   lo   
192.168.1.0/24      default   link   0   LAN & WLAN   192.168.1.1

Are there any other workarounds? Aside from the obvious disable NTP. Or any other thoughts?

Really appreciate all of the help.
Sponsor
egc
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2022 7:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
An NTP sync should not trigger the restart of the services.

So it is either a setup error or a bug.

To see if it is a bug you can reset to defaults and first start with minimal setup, always put settings in manually, never restore from a backup.

If this works without a problem add more of your current settings to see what is triggering this.

Forum Guide Lines (important read):https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=324087
the-joker
DD-WRT Developer/Maintainer

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2022 7:22    Post subject: Reply with quote
There are no config files user modifiable in DD-WRT, only nvram values are readable/writable and all is possible via clever manipulation of these values and bash scripting and so on for more advanced use scenarios -- within reason, given that DD-WRT is not a full Linux distro and it's a mostly neutered/custom version of what is needed to achieve the goal.

Stick to a large update interval as detailed, dont complicate your life by trying to sooth your OCD regarding NTP.

But if you choose to, its possible, You would need to disable NTP in UI, then setup CRON to run at any time/date of your choosing and call a script that enables NTP with a short interval set and then check the update as taken place before disabling NTP again.

However don't ask me about CRON or bash scripting, you already know how to manipulate nvram values and the rest of the information is available at your finger tips via your favorite search engine and the boards umpteen posts on setting up CRON while calling a script.

My recommendation remains to the method already detailed in how to increase the update interval and see if that works better for you in the meanwhile.

DD-WRT Inspired themes for the SVN Trac & FTP site
Join in for a chat @ #style_it_themes_public:matrix.org or #style_it_themes:discord

DD-WRT UI Themes Bug Reporting and Discussion thread

Router: ANus RT-AC68U E1 (recognized as C1)
the-joker

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2022 7:56    Post subject: Reply with quote
egc wrote:
An NTP sync should not trigger the restart of the services.

So it is either a setup error or a bug.

Some services clearly depend on NTP, just look at any log entries no matter if its a reset router or not just before/after the update takes place.

Also https://github.com/mirror/dd-wrt/blob/master/src/router/rc/ntp.c tells a story about services and NTP.

Unless I'm reading that wrong, I'm not a C person its possible I dont understand whats going on there.

Join in for a chat @ #style_it_themes_public:matrix.org or #style_it_themes:discord

egc
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2022 8:31    Post subject: Reply with quote
Normally it only restarts the filter rules which you would not noitce, only when time deviates substantially (it looks like more than 100000000 sec) it will restart some services like unbound and dnscrypt but even if those would restart I would not expect a service disruption of minutes.
Forum Guide Lines (important read):https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=324087
TheDood
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 16:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
@Mods - Firstly I would like to apologize for bumping this SUPER old thread, but in the event someone does end up finding themselves in a similar situation, I am happy to report that I found a solution.

It appears that it was hardware-based. After swapping out a couple of power supplies and it still crashing. Rolling it back to older versions and the issue persisting, I ended up caving a buying an Asus Rt-ac66u B1. Flashing the newest "supported" build on it and it has been working flawlessly ever since.

Big thanks to everyone who helped with my issues, and we can close this thread now.
dale_gribble39
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 17:21    Post subject: Reply with quote
So, you flashed the RT-AC68U firmware for 49392, then?

https://download1.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/downloads/betas/2022/06-29-2022-r49392/asus-rt-ac68u/

https://forum.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Asus_RT-AC66U_B1

Disregard the "known good builds" section of that wiki; it shouldn't exist because it adds to the confusion.

And miles to go before I sleep." - Robert Frost

"I am one of the noticeable ones - notice me" - Dale Frances McKenzie Bozzio

<fact>code knows no gender</fact>

This is me, knowing I've ruffled your feathers, and not giving a ****
Some people are still hard-headed.

--------------------------------------
Mac Pro (Mid 2012) - Two 2.4GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon E5645 processors 64GB 1333MHz DDR3 ECC SDRAM OpenSUSE Leap 15.5
the-joker

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 17:28    Post subject: Reply with quote
Marking as solved will suffice for now.

Glad to read flashing a recent build solved it with a new machine. Without a proper analyses of the old HW even serial logs, would be hard to tell what happened to the old one.

Goto page Previous  1, 2 Display posts from previous:    Page 2 of 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: