Info re wifi hardware compatibility

ldulac
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2022 16:53    Post subject: Info re wifi hardware compatibility Reply with quote
I am about to install dd-wrt x86 in an old small footprint x36_32 pc which has no space for any type of card.
I would appreciate if someone could confirm if
a) an USB to ethernet adapter can be used since the pc only has one ethernet port

b) in order to implement wifi can I use the USB to Wifi adapter shown on the web address below
https://www.amazon.co.uk/PiAEK-Adapter-300Mbps-Wireless-Extension/dp/B08BHY92R4

c) alternatively pls point me in the right direction considering the hardware limitations
Many thanks
Sponsor
the-joker
DD-WRT Developer/Maintainer

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2022 10:58    Post subject: Reply with quote
There is limited USB wifi dongles support in DD-WRT, Im not familiar with x86/x64 versions except they are have more features.

Off hand I dont know which dongles are supported. I will say this. Most retailers give you an amount of time to return product for a full refund.

I wouldn't choose any adapters based on Broadcom chips, they have closed source drivers, so pick Atheros based something to test on the premise of returning for full refund should they not be recognized.

The only place to see where and what is supported is https://svn.dd-wrt.com/browser the source code.

I will ping the developer, its possible after you buy the card, he could add support for it, based on the terminal output he will likely request from you.

Wait for him to chime in just in case before committing to a purchase. he may have better advice. Beware hes a busy guy, so may take time to get a reply from him.

DD-WRT Inspired themes for the SVN Trac & FTP site
Join in for a chat @ #style_it_themes_public:matrix.org or #style_it_themes:discord

DD-WRT UI Themes Bug Reporting and Discussion thread

Router: ANus RT-AC68U E1 (recognized as C1)
ldulac
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2022 17:41    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks, the-joker.
blkt
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2022 16:47    Post subject: Reply with quote
DD-WRT x86 benefits with a list of supported radio modules, recommended USB, M.2 & mini PCIe WLAN.

I know easier said than done, only throwing these words out in the wild for now then later consideration.
the-joker
DD-WRT Developer/Maintainer

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2022 6:03    Post subject: Reply with quote
Sorry for long delay, there is no way around things getting lost and ppl being busy.

brainslayer wrote:
usb dongles are supported. i dont have a list. its about chipsets
and of course its only supported on x64 x86

I would venture to guess this means chipsets that have open source drivers, like I wrote earlier I mentioned Atheros as the most likely candidate. Broadcom chipsets for your sanity sake dont even go there, IDK where Ralink stands there either but Linux side some of the dongles are well supported, I have some of the Alpha networks I use for PEN testing but that's outside DD-WRT.

Ive ponged BS again with a link to this thread, cannot guarantee his reply, he is indeed very busy, which is to be expected given DD-WRT supports a trillion routers and DD-WRT is not the only project requiring his time.

DD-WRT Inspired themes for the SVN Trac & FTP site
Join in for a chat @ #style_it_themes_public:matrix.org or #style_it_themes:discord

DD-WRT UI Themes Bug Reporting and Discussion thread

Router: ANus RT-AC68U E1 (recognized as C1)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> X86 based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: