LAN routing problem on R7000P after r44251

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
extin
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2022 16:42    Post subject: LAN routing problem on R7000P after r44251 Reply with quote
I'm having a problem, where LAN traffic is not routed corretly to a virtual machine running on my server.

Any firmware after r44251 simply doesn't route some packets correctly. I can ping the VM ok, but I cannot access the Home Assistant server running on the VM port 8123. I can access the server hosting the VM and any other physical device on LAN but not the VM.

I can access the VM through Internet, so the VM seems to have some access to the network, but from inside LAN, all I can do is ping it.

I've tried resetting to factory settings after flash but nothing but reverting to max r44251 seems to work.

Any advice?
Sponsor
the-joker
DD-WRT Developer/Maintainer

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2022 14:39    Post subject: Reply with quote
Welcome to forums.

Without knowing your exact setup would be hard to tell, but such 2 year old build you cant restore any backups when moving to current build, after reset a full reconfiguration would be needed from scratch.

Much has changed in DD-WRT since then, so it may jus be a case of making some adjustmnets to your configuration.

Please post screenshots of the setup and the output of iptables -vnL attached to your reply.

DD-WRT Inspired themes for the SVN Trac & FTP site
Join in for a chat @ #style_it_themes_public:matrix.org or #style_it_themes:discord

DD-WRT UI Themes Bug Reporting and Discussion thread

Router: ANus RT-AC68U E1 (recognized as C1)
extin
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2022 14:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
the-joker wrote:
Welcome to forums.

Without knowing your exact setup would be hard to tell, but such 2 year old build you cant restore any backups when moving to current build, after reset a full reconfiguration would be needed from scratch.

Much has changed in DD-WRT since then, so it may jus be a case of making some adjustmnets to your configuration.

Please post screenshots of the setup and the output of iptables -vnL attached to your reply.

Thanks for the reply and sorry for taking so long for me to reply. Didn't get a notification of the reply and forgot the thread.

Decided to move routing to an OPNsense router and ran into the same problem. Monitoring OPNsense firewall logs revealed, that TCP/SA packets from VM were dropped. Little searching pointed to an asymetric routing problem. OPNsense FW setting "Bypass firewall rules for traffic on the same interface" fixes things in OPNsense. I guess something is wrong in my VM -> LAN config that causes LAN packets showing up at the firewall.

This is purely speculation since I haven't tested, but maybe something changed in the SPI firewall of dd-wrt after build r44251 that triggers some FW rule if packet is routed asymetrically? Maybe I would have caught this if I'd turned on FW logging when I were figuring this out Embarassed

And forgot to mention, I did try newer builds after a full reset so I'm quite confident it's not a config issue.
the-joker

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2022 14:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks for coming back to us, my previous post stands however.

Help us help you better, else, hands tied cannot type, blindfolded eyes cannot see.

Join in for a chat @ #style_it_themes_public:matrix.org or #style_it_themes:discord

eibgrad
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2022 3:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
Is the VM guest bridged or NAT'd wrt the primary network?

Many OSes these days (and even servers/appliances) have firewalls that will NOT allow access by a different *private* network other than the one on which it is hosted. The fact a *public* IP from remote access works is yet another sign this is a firewall problem, NOT a routing problem.

That said, why a change in firmware on the dd-wrt router would make a difference, I don't know. Maybe you're running an OpenVPN server w/ the more recent firmware, and so the remote access is NOT via a public IP anymore, but yet another *private* IP, that of the tunnel (e.g., 10.8.0.0/24). Hard to know for sure, just speculating.

ddwrt-ovpn-split-basic.sh (UPDATED!) * ddwrt-ovpn-split-advanced.sh (UPDATED!) * ddwrt-ovpn-client-killswitch.sh * ddwrt-ovpn-client-watchdog.sh * ddwrt-ovpn-remote-access.sh * ddwrt-ovpn-client-backup.sh * ddwrt-mount-usb-drives.sh * ddwrt-blacklist-domains.sh * ddwrt-wol-port-forward.sh * ddwrt-dns-monitor.sh (NEW!)
the-joker

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2022 12:28    Post subject: Reply with quote
Im wondering if there are any similarities between the subjects on the thread here.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: